Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Weird Data

Please discuss beta versions of Cumulus 1 here. Note: There are currently no beta versions of Cumulus 1.
Spider-Vice
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Raspbian

Weird Data

Post by Spider-Vice »

Since I upgraded to the latest beta, my Cumulus data has been going quite crazy, with stuff not even present on the station. Sometimes I get an error log from spike removal saying it ignored a rainrate of 200 mm/h, yet, there has been no rain record to cause that.
Meanwhile, just now, the New Record light was flashing for a hourly rain value of 22 mm, which did not appear anywhere other than the all time, monthly, etc. records. Not even on the main rain stats...

So I'm downgrading, to see if the issue is actually the beta, but as the changelog tells us to watch for bugs with data...
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Weird Data

Post by steve »

Spider-Vice wrote:So I'm downgrading, to see if the issue is actually the beta, but as the changelog tells us to watch for bugs with data...
Yes, indeed. I have changed the way I check for obviously bad data, so that it no longer discards the whole set of data if only one item is obviously wrong. This is nothing to do with the actual data readings, just in the way that it checks for the crap that Fine Offset stations produce at times.

So it's possible that

(a) there's a bug in the new code (but you're the first to report anything)
(b) you were getting bad readings before, but the 'old' mechanism was causing them to be discarded, because some other item was obviously bad
(c) it's nothing to do with the beta version

You've only mentioned rain figures but the rest of your post implies that the problem is more widespread. What else is affected? From the information you've supplied, the rain rate was successfully discarded, so only the hourly rain figure actually got through? How many times did this happen?

If you zip up the diags folder and attach it, I'll see if I can see anything.
Steve
Spider-Vice
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Raspbian

Re: Weird Data

Post by Spider-Vice »

It's just been the rain so far. Actually, that is my bad, I'm sorry, it seemed that the weather station hadn't registered anything but I just went to find out I had 43mm this week! I guess Cumulus did a good job ignoring those, but I thought it'd warn me of all the data it ignored, I guess not :p

Sorry for the inconvenience.