Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

To move to a different pc

Please discuss beta versions of Cumulus 1 here. Note: There are currently no beta versions of Cumulus 1.
MARIGOLD
Weather Station: wea22
Operating System: xp

To move to a different pc

Post by MARIGOLD »

Hi.
How can I download Cumulus to the larger PC as this one has got slow!
with out to much hassle?
All so perhaps change the password and user name.
can any one help please...

thanking all
Marigold
robynfali
Weather Station: Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows XP

Re: To move to a different pc

Post by robynfali »

follow this

To the LETTER and you won't go wrong, i did it a couple of weeks ago
Orion
Weather Station: WH1081 (Maplin)
Operating System: windows 10 64bit

Post by Orion »

I was wondering if it would not be easier just to copy the cumulus folder to a usb memory stick
install cumulus on the new pc and overwrite with the copy from the memory stick.
or would this not work for some reason ?
robynfali
Weather Station: Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows XP

Post by robynfali »

It's not far from what the guide says, but if people are unsure, then to follow the guide step by step is almost foolproof
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

Orion wrote:I was wondering if it would not be easier just to copy the cumulus folder to a usb memory stick
install cumulus on the new pc and overwrite with the copy from the memory stick.
or would this not work for some reason ?
If it were the same version of Cumulus, then that would work, yes.
Steve
tjaliwalpa
Weather Station: Davis VP2
Operating System: Linux Lite Ubuntu 16.04

Post by tjaliwalpa »

From my experience, it is possible to copy the Cumulus folder to a removable disk and then straight on to the new computer, without installing a copy of Cumulus through a setup executable. You then have to create the shortcut to the cumulus.exe.

Oh, there is another thing - make sure the date and time setup on the new computer is identical to the old.
Bob
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

tjaliwalpa wrote:From my experience, it is possible to copy the Cumulus folder to a removable disk and then straight on to the new computer, without installing a copy of Cumulus through a setup executable. You then have to create the shortcut to the cumulus.exe.
The potential problem with doing this is that if you then subsequently use a setup to upgrade Cumulus, you have to be careful to point the installer at your existing installation, because it won't be able to find it by itself, and you may end up with a new installation instead of an upgrade.
Steve
RayProudfoot
Weather Station: Davis VP2 with Daytime FARS
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Post by RayProudfoot »

Out of interest does Cumulus write to the registry? I'm backing up Cumulus and all the sub-folders every 6 hours to a memory stick so that in the event of a disaster I can get Cumulus up and running on another PC quickly.

Logically I would install Cumulus using a setup executable to the default Program Files location and use the same COM Port if possible. After that I'd rename that Cumulus folder to CumulusOld and copy the contents of the Cumulus setup from the memory stick to Program Files\Cumulus.
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

RayProudfoot wrote:Out of interest does Cumulus write to the registry?
No. The installer does, but just the usual Windows admin stuff that installers write (uninstall info etc).
Steve
shotsky
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2
Operating System: Windows 7-64 Ultimate

Post by shotsky »

Steve, I moved to a new computer this week, and somehow lost part of February's data in the switch. Everything is working, and I now have the latest beta version installed. I'd like to reset my data to January 31, and let it resync all of February. It would be great if there was a way to do this from Cumulus itself, but lacking that, how do I cause it to 'forget' February data and redownload it?
Thanks,
John
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

shotsky wrote:how do I cause it to 'forget' February data and redownload it?
Delete Feb11log.txt. Edit dayfile.txt to remove all of the entries from February (make sure you leave the file with an end-of-line at the end of it). Edit the "timestamp" in today.ini to midnight on Feb 1st. Start Cumulus.

I assume your station logger interval is set such that it does still hold all of February's data? It would need to be 15 minutes or more.
Steve
shotsky

Post by shotsky »

steve wrote:
shotsky wrote:how do I cause it to 'forget' February data and redownload it?
Delete Feb11log.txt. Edit dayfile.txt to remove all of the entries from February (make sure you leave the file with an end-of-line at the end of it). Edit the "timestamp" in today.ini to midnight on Feb 1st. Start Cumulus.

I assume your station logger interval is set such that it does still hold all of February's data? It would need to be 15 minutes or more.
That worked, except that I got a reading of 22+ inches of rain in the last hour, which throws off all kinds of other records. I tried to go in and change it to 0.04, which would be correct, but it appears to keep coming back, regardless of what I edit. I have edited all the files to change that number, so I wonder if it's coming from the weather station, although it shows only 0.05 right now.

Since I saved my 'before' data, it is easy to revert back to that which was just missing some readings from when the weather station was switched to the other computer a few days ago.

How does one go about removing just one very erroneous reading? I edited just that one single reading in the February data file, but when I restarted Cumulus, it reset it back to the original number. I haven't done anything to the weather station today, but that high reading is from today.
I keyed through the Vantage Pro 2 variables, and that number is not present, so it is apparently a problem in how it is processed by Cumulus.
Thanks
John
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

You're always going to have a few things to tidy up afterwards if you 'rewind' by editing the files, in particular rainfall, because of the way that Cumulus calculates it. It needs to keep track of where it's got up to, via the figures in today.ini.

If it's today's rain that's in error, the procedure is described here: http://wiki.sandaysoft.com/a/FAQ#My_sta ... it_to_zero
Steve
RayProudfoot
Weather Station: Davis VP2 with Daytime FARS
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Post by RayProudfoot »

steve wrote:
RayProudfoot wrote:Out of interest does Cumulus write to the registry?
No. The installer does, but just the usual Windows admin stuff that installers write (uninstall info etc).
Thanks Steve. I didn't express myself very well. I meant the installer. :oops:
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

shotsky

Post by shotsky »

Thanks, Steve, that took care of it.
Regards,
John