Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

To move to a different pc

Please discuss beta versions of Cumulus 1 here. Note: There are currently no beta versions of Cumulus 1.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: To move to a different pc

Post by steve »

shotsky wrote:Thanks, Steve, that took care of it.
I've been thinking about this, and I don't really understand why your rain for today was wrong. I'd have expected the first day to be out slightly; in the absence of a valid today.ini file, it tries to determine the current value of the total rain counter from the last entry in the logs. I'm wondering if perhaps that doesn't work properly if there's no existing log for the current month. Do your daily rain totals for February seem to be OK?
Steve
shotsky
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2
Operating System: Windows 7-64 Ultimate

Post by shotsky »

steve wrote:
shotsky wrote:Thanks, Steve, that took care of it.
I've been thinking about this, and I don't really understand why your rain for today was wrong. I'd have expected the first day to be out slightly; in the absence of a valid today.ini file, it tries to determine the current value of the total rain counter from the last entry in the logs. I'm wondering if perhaps that doesn't work properly if there's no existing log for the current month. Do your daily rain totals for February seem to be OK?
Everything looks normal now - it was only rainfall that was off, and apparently the counter is what triggered it. I could see that there was a huge difference between the values. I don't know why today either, other than I reset things back to Feb 1, which 'might' have introduced a sync problem with the rain counter. Oh, and yesterday, I did unplug the weather station for a while as I was rerouting usb cables, so maybe that caused the tip counter to do something wierd? In any case, today's rain is correct now, but I see that the yearly doesn't match the weather station. Cumulus has 29+ inches, weather station has 24+ inches-is there a way to correct the cumulus data for that issue?
Regards,
John
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

shotsky wrote:Cumulus has 29+ inches, weather station has 24+ inches-is there a way to correct the cumulus data for that issue?
Cumulus calculates the annual total from the daily totals in dayfile.txt, so you need to identify which entry or entries are giving the extra 5 inches.
Steve
shotsky

Post by shotsky »

steve wrote:
shotsky wrote:Cumulus has 29+ inches, weather station has 24+ inches-is there a way to correct the cumulus data for that issue?
Cumulus calculates the annual total from the daily totals in dayfile.txt, so you need to identify which entry or entries are giving the extra 5 inches.
I loaded dayfile.txt up in Excel, and totalled the rainfall. It agrees with the weather station as of midnight last night. If I add today's rainfall, it matches exactly. So, there is still an extra 5 inches in Cumulus' records somewhere besides dayfile.txt. And, it is exactly 5 inches. 24.13 on the weather station, 29.13 in Cumulus.
Thanks,
John
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

I can't think of anywhere the extra could becoming from. It adds up the total from dayfile.txt, adds in any year-to-date figure, and then adds today's figure as it goes along. What do you get for the total on the 'this year' display?

If you zip up your data folder and attach it, I'll have a look.
Steve
shotsky

Post by shotsky »

steve wrote:I can't think of anywhere the extra could becoming from. It adds up the total from dayfile.txt, adds in any year-to-date figure, and then adds today's figure as it goes along. What do you get for the total on the 'this year' display?

If you zip up your data folder and attach it, I'll have a look.
Attached. For what it's worth, when I use the Averages and Extremes for selected period, (October 1-today), I get the right data: 24.02 (+ today's 0.11). So I don't know where that 5 inches is coming from - it appears to only be present on the "This Year" slot on the main page.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

All I can think of to suggest is to restart Cumulus, because all of the data looks OK.
Steve
shotsky

Post by shotsky »

steve wrote:All I can think of to suggest is to restart Cumulus, because all of the data looks OK.
I restarted the computer, which didn't help. I finally decided to look in other folders, and found a 'YTD' rain value in Cumulus.ini of '5'. That, of course, was the culprit. I can understand what it does, but I can't understand how it got there - I purposely set everything back to October 1 months ago to get the rain year right for my area. I would never have just added a number such as that into my data set. One of those mysteries, I guess.
Thanks for the help - all is well in Beaverton, and snow is predicted for the next three days!
Regards,
John
Nykita
Weather Station: Ambient Weather WS-2080
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by Nykita »

First off, I am sorry for bringing an old thread back from the dead.. But this one is so close (I think) to what I need I thought it would say me from rambling on and on!! :mrgreen:

My problem is I had a computer that would not boot up after being turned off to move it to another location in the house.. I just downloaded Cumulus and installed it on another computer, and all is well....

I have since been able to get the old hard drive working on another computer as a second drive. What I want to try to do is add my data from the OLD computer to the new one that is running Cumulus now.. What I'm trying to do is have a continuous record for my data in one place.. I have about 8 months data on the old computer, and around 5 months worth on the new one.

Is this possible without messing all my records up.. I am NOT a computer expert!!!

Thanks in advance.. and again sorry for bringing an old thread back to life....
No matter how carefully you choose your words, they'll always end up being twisted by others!
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Just copy the old monthly log files to the new data folder, and merge in the old entries from dayfile.txt. If you have a month split across the old and new data folders, you can similarly merge the old entries from that monthly log file.

Then use the all-time records editor, and the monthly all-time records editor to update those based on your new data.
Steve