Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

1080 Monthly Records dialogue not working

Please discuss beta versions of Cumulus 1 here. Note: There are currently no beta versions of Cumulus 1.
RustyRain
Weather Station: Fine Offset
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

1080 Monthly Records dialogue not working

Post by RustyRain »

Running build 1080 on a Windows XP machine with Davis Pro2 plus.

When using the Edit->Monthly Records dialogue, neither the OK nor Cancel buttons work.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: 1080 Monthly Records dialogue not working

Post by steve »

There isn't actually any code in Cumulus to handle the button clicks or close the window, it's all handled by the runtime (and Windows system code), so I don't know why it won't close on your system. If you zip up the diags folder and attach it, I'll see if I can see anything.
Steve
RustyRain

Post by RustyRain »

I've done a bit more testing. Dialogues that use standard Windows buttons work OK, i.e. Edit->Alarms & Edit->Today's Rain work fine, but dialogues that use "fancy" buttons, like Edit->Monthly Records or Edit->This Year's Records don't. I'm wondering if it's a framework thing - does Cumulus use .NET or something?

Diags folder attached. Don't know if it'll tell you much as when the dialogue won't close, I have to kill the Cumulus process.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Cumulus doesn't use .NET. The fancy buttons are part of a third-party component suite that I bought; I haven't bought the latest version, but there's no indication in the latest version history that they have fixed any bugs like this. They use GDI+, so you could perhaps try updating your gdiplus.dll - there's a download of the redistributable from Microsoft here - http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download ... x?id=18909

If it was a GDI+ issue, though, I'd expect you to be seeing other problems, e.g. with the grid on the editor screen.

There's no real reason for using those fancy buttons, and I'm not even sure I like them. I could replace them with standard buttons.
Steve
RustyRain

Post by RustyRain »

I've updated everything on the machine and those dialogues still don't work :(

As you mention, the tables work, and although the initial window is too small to see the "copy" columns, I can expand the window to show them, and successfully populate the columns with data from the relevant files, but as the OK button doesn't work, the data doesn't "stick".

I assume there must be some problem with the OS hooks. From memory, I think there's a tool you can use to see the OS messages. When I'm on the machine next I'll do some testing (at the moment it's via Remote Desktop over a rather flakey 3G wireless link).
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Do you get the same problem with the buttons on the data log viewer (View | Data logs)? That uses the same buttons, but the difference is that the form isn't modal, so Cumulus acts on the click and closes the window itself.
Steve
RustyRain

Post by RustyRain »

The View | Data logs dialogue works fine (ie. it closes both with the close button and the X in the top right corner).
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

So it appears to be the "fancy buttons closing modal forms" combination where the problem lies. I wonder what it is about your system that you see the problem and apparently no-one else does? Something to do with XP SP3, perhaps? It could just be that no-one else who would have the problem has tried to use the monthly and yearly record editors.
Steve
RustyRain

Post by RustyRain »

In my case I upgraded to 1.9.3 (I think I was many builds behind) and went to look and see what was new on the web upload, noticed the new monthly records page wasn't populated, went and read the instructions and bumped into this problem with the non-closing form.

I then noticed the announcement that Davis Pro2 users should be using 1.9.4 and upgraded to the latest build of that in the hope that the form business had been fixed along the way.

I run XP SP3 as it's generally a good option on old hardware where you just want reliability. I do have other machines with the same OS. I might try Cumulus on them and see if I encounter the same problem.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

I've uploaded build 1081 which changes all of the buttons back to standard ones. If the problem is still there, then I don't think there's anything I can do about it.
Steve
RustyRain

Post by RustyRain »

I upgraded to 1082. If I spent too much time working through all the months, I'd be unable to close the window, however I found that if I just copied a month or two at a time, then I'd be able to close the form. When I re-opened it, the form was wide enough to see the "copy" column, and the dayfile data was already populated from the first time, so I was able to quickly copy the rest of the data a couple of months at a time between closing the window.

The time issue was exacerbated by doing this via Remote Desktop over a sluggish 3G link.

Anyway, monthly records are all up to date, so hopefully won't have to go through that again :D