Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Davis high gust

Please discuss beta versions of Cumulus 1 here. Note: There are currently no beta versions of Cumulus 1.
DaveNZ
Weather Station: Davis VP2
Operating System: Windows 7 64-bit

Davis high gust

Post by DaveNZ »

Hi Steve,

Just letting you know that your code to read the daily high gust from the Davis console in case of a missed reading seems to work just as intended. Just one day after I upgraded to the beta version a strong gust was missed; it did not appear in the monthly log but it appeared in the Cumulus daily extremes. 8-)

Cheers!
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Davis high gust

Post by steve »

DaveNZ wrote:Just one day after I upgraded to the beta version a strong gust was missed; it did not appear in the monthly log but it appeared in the Cumulus daily extremes.
That's good, but note that a high gust doesn't necessarily appear in the monthly log anyway, regardless of whether it was picked up in the 'normal' way, or because of the change I did recently.
Steve
DaveNZ
Weather Station: Davis VP2
Operating System: Windows 7 64-bit

Post by DaveNZ »

steve wrote:That's good, but note that a high gust doesn't necessarily appear in the monthly log anyway, regardless of whether it was picked up in the 'normal' way, or because of the change I did recently.
I can't recall seeing this happen before - when could it occur? I am using 1-minute archive interval by the way.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Only if you were using a Cumulus log interval of more than 10 minutes (assuming the default interval for 'recent max gust').
Steve
Touchtone
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus & FARS
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1

Post by Touchtone »

I have the latest beta version of Cumulus set for 30 minute logging & it always picks up max wind gusts even though I don't have it running all the time.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Touchtone wrote:I have the latest beta version of Cumulus set for 30 minute logging & it always picks up max wind gusts even though I don't have it running all the time.
It will always get (and log) peak gusts if they occur in station logger data.

When running live, it can miss peak gusts completely because the Davis DLL doesn't return the readings quickly enough to catch every reading. With the modification I made in 1.9.4, it periodically reads today's high gust value from the console (but only if you use a midnight 'rollover') so that at least today's high value is correct. When today's high gust is caught by this method (and it was missed by the normal method), it will never appear in the monthly logs.

Even if a peak gust value is caught by the normal method, it won't necessarily appear in the monthly log file if you have Cumulus set to a log interval of 30 minutes, because the 'recent max gust' interval is (assuming the default setting) 10 minutes.
Steve