Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

A little bit of help - VP2

Topics about the Beta trials up to Build 3043, the last build by Cumulus's founder Steve Loft. It was by this time way out of Beta but Steve wanted to keep it that way until he made a decision on his and Cumulus's future.

Moderator: mcrossley

Mapantz
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2
Operating System: Windows 11 x64

A little bit of help - VP2

Post by Mapantz »

Hi
I've finally got a VP2 and its all connected via the data logger etc. I have MX installed, and ran the .exe as administrator, filled in the details and restarted Cumulus. I don't seem to be sending any data- the dashboard has all zeros, apart from the local time, and last station update.
23:24:32 Downloading Archive Data
Cumulus running at: http://*:8998/
(Replace * with any IP address on this machine, or localhost)
Starting web socket server on port 8002
03/03/2016 23:24:32
Type Ctrl-C to terminate
23:24:32 Downloading Archive Data
23:24:32 Normal running
I'm obviously doing something wrong, but it has been quite a while since I used Cumulus (never used MX) Any help would be gladly appreciated.
PaulMy
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus 24-Hour FARS
Operating System: Windows8 and Windows10

Re: A little bit of help - VP2

Post by PaulMy »

Is there a Cumulus.ini in the CumulusMX folder?

Paul
VP2+
C1 www.komokaweather.com/komokaweather-ca
MX https://komokaweather.com/cumulusmx/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX https://komokaweather.com/cumulusmxwll/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX https:// komokaweather.com/cumulusmx4/index.htm
Mapantz

Post by Mapantz »

PaulMy wrote:Is there a Cumulus.ini in the CumulusMX folder?

Paul
Yeah

I closed Cumulus and opened Weatherlink and tried connecxting via COM 3 (which it says in the device manager) and it won't connect
Auto connect comes up with nothing either.
PaulMy
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus 24-Hour FARS
Operating System: Windows8 and Windows10

Post by PaulMy »

I think when running it the first time it prompts for the necessary settings which sounds as if you have done that. I still run Cumulus 1 full time but start Cumulus MX whenever there is a new version and install the new version from scratch, except that I copy in my Cumulus1 data folder and cumulus.ini (changing it to Cumulus.ini for MX) and it always works immediately. If you started without the Cumulus.ini and data folder then Cumulus would create that from the initial settings.

Sorry I can't be of any further help, however it is often asked to zip up and attach the MXdiags file for troubleshooting.

Good luck,
Paul
VP2+
C1 www.komokaweather.com/komokaweather-ca
MX https://komokaweather.com/cumulusmx/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX https://komokaweather.com/cumulusmxwll/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX https:// komokaweather.com/cumulusmx4/index.htm
Mapantz

Post by Mapantz »

Quick update: I took the batteries out of the console and let it reset, put it all back and it seems to be working now. I was panicking, because after doing some digging, I was getting some issues that others had reported in the past- it looked rather messy!

I'll post back tomorrow, just to confirm everything is running A-OK. Thanks for the replies Paul. :)
Mapantz

Post by Mapantz »

Ok - An update. Not going good at the moment!

I thought i had windows updates today, as the PC rebooted. Then i checked, I have updates set to be scheduled, so I reboot myself. It turns out, I'm getting blue screens with the message: 'system_service_exception' and then it reboots.

It seems Cumulus MX is causing them. It just happened again, as soon as I got back online, i loaded Cumulus MX and bam! blue screen again.

I've also just noticed (after booting up Cumulus) My daily rain has suddenly jumped to 5.4mm, yet the console is showing 3.8mm.
Looking at the dayfile reader, I can't load a certain page. I guess there's a dodgy line somewhere that stops Cumulus from reading it?

One other thing.. does Cumulus send the true rain rate to wunderground? They don't seem to match up.

I do apologise for all the questions. I'm trying to get to grips with it after all these years away. :oops:
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

Mapantz wrote:It turns out, I'm getting blue screens with the message: 'system_service_exception' and then it reboots.

It seems Cumulus MX is causing them. It just happened again, as soon as I got back online, i loaded Cumulus MX and bam! blue screen again.
User programs don't cause blue screens, they are caused by drivers and hardware issues. You'll need to find out what the problem is with your system and resolve it - Google should help.
I've also just noticed (after booting up Cumulus) My daily rain has suddenly jumped to 5.4mm, yet the console is showing 3.8mm.
Looking at the dayfile reader, I can't load a certain page. I guess there's a dodgy line somewhere that stops Cumulus from reading it?
Probably corrupt files - and probably related to your system crashes.
One other thing.. does Cumulus send the true rain rate to wunderground? They don't seem to match up.
Cumulus doesn't send rain rate to WU at all, it isn't in the upload protocol. The upload contains the rainfall in the last hour, and it's that which WU displays as rain rate.
Steve
Mapantz

Post by Mapantz »

Thank you for the reply Steve.
I did have an Nvidia graphics card update a few days ago, I rolled that back last night and everything has been ok overnight/this morning. The strange thing is though, the those blue screens only occurred when MX was running. Anyway, hopefully it should be ok now!

Another question about Wunderground: (I remember this from years back when I had my Vue) The information about wind, ie; High gust/High wind speed/Average direction etc.. The high gust/windspeed are always the same measurement. The high gust is 20mph, but there's no way there's been 20mph windspeeds. Is it a station setting in MX that I need to check/uncheck? Or is that Wundergrounds useless calculations? - Oddly enough, i can't check it today, Wunderground is totally screwed up. :lol:

I'll be making a donation as soon as I've sorted Paypal - I love how MX runs and can be configured and viewed through the web browser.
philpugh
Weather Station: See Signature
Operating System: Debian 11 (RPi4)

Post by philpugh »

Some of the graphics on the MX console exercise the graphics card quite well. The gauges especially. If there is a problem with the graphics card/driver MX will probably find it. I have a small rendering issue with the gauge pointers that hasn't yet been fixed in the standard Intel graphics card.
Phil Pugh
GW1000 + WH65/WH57/WH31; HP2551 + WS68/WH40A; GW2001 WittBoy
CumulusMX V4 / CUtils V7
Raspberry Pi 5 64bit
http://goosegate.uk/
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Cumulus currently sends three wind speed parameters to WU

"windspeedmph" - It sends either the last 3-second reading from the station or the 10-minute average, depending on whether you have selected the "send average" setting
"windgustmph" - it sends the peak 3-second speed from the last 10 minutes
"windspeedmph_avg2m" - it sends the 10-minute average (as it doesn't currently do a 2-minute average and the protocol doesn't have a 10-minute average)

I have no idea what they do with those figures.

They have changed the protocol since I originally wrote the code, there is now a "windgustmph_10m" parameter, so at some point I'll probably add that to what it sends, but it would be the same figure as it currently sends for "windgustmph",
Steve
Mapantz

Post by Mapantz »

Good evening! All is well with Cumulus MX and the VP2. I'm really enjoying using this software again- been looking at all the great scripts people have made, hopefully adding one or two. The one i'm currently setting up (without too much trouble) is the data summary, which reads the dayfile.txt..

My query on that is: Can Cumulus MX upload the dayfile.txt to my server? Or do I need to add a database to MySQL? I seem to remember, I was using a third-party app, like 'Toolbox' or something- to upload files separately?!

Thank you in advance if anyone can help.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Mapantz wrote:Can Cumulus MX upload the dayfile.txt to my server?
It can, but at the moment you would have to upload it at every web update, even though it only changes once a day. A more efficient way would be to use the 'daily command' facility to run an external program to do the upload only once a day. Or use MySQL.
Steve
Mapantz

Post by Mapantz »

steve wrote:
Mapantz wrote:Can Cumulus MX upload the dayfile.txt to my server?
It can, but at the moment you would have to upload it at every web update, even though it only changes once a day. A more efficient way would be to use the 'daily command' facility to run an external program to do the upload only once a day. Or use MySQL.
Cheers Steve!
I have MySQL set up, but i'll do that this week. For now, I can use CrossFTP to schedule the file to be transferred just after midnight. :)
Mapantz

Post by Mapantz »

Hi folks

I've decided to load up a new table in my MySQL.
I already have a database with a ton of data in it, so I filled in the necessary fields within MX and saved it, then pressed 'create dayfile' I g et the error parsererror
The info I filled in is all correct, I'm just wondering if I need a fresh database? But I can add a new table to an existing one though, right?

Many thanks.

Edit: My internet went down, and I didn't know. :oops:

That aside, I get this: Error: Access denied for user 'not_giving_my_user_out'@'not_showing_my_ip' (using password: YES)

All privileges are present and correct for the particular username and database.
water01
Weather Station: Ecowitt HP2551
Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Post by water01 »

That is usually caused by the User not having the correct host name which should be the IP address of the computer logging into the database which is given to you by the error message.

Edit the User with phpMyAdmin and change the Host field to use it as text and then enter the IP address stated in the error message. Check that you have All Privileges and then Save and you should be able to connect.
David