Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Using a Polerising Filter With your Weather Webcam

Hardware/software/hints and tips/discussion/webcam links etc
geoffw
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows 10

Using a Polerising Filter With your Weather Webcam

Post by geoffw »

In another thread I suggested a Polarising filter make a difference to deepen the blue of the sky and increase the contrast with the clouds. Generally giving a more punchy and accurate image?

Well I've just popped round to a neighbour who has a Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000 HD Webcam. We have just pointed it at a double glazed window and take the follow two images. Both have been cropped to focus on the sky region.

Picture Four - a snap of a region of the northern sky with my camera Poleriser hand held in front of the lens

Picture Three - is the same region of sky without the filter .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Geoff
Gina
Weather Station: Nothing working ATM - making one
Operating System: OS X, Linux Mint, Win7 & XP

Re: Using a Polerising Filter With your Weather Webcam

Post by Gina »

A noticeable improvement though not tremendous. I think it depends on the angle of the sun. Worthwhile though IMO, particularly with the additional function of keeping wet off the webcam. The webcam itself does have a front window in front of the lens and it looks like the front could be waterproof but I'm not going to risk it!

I've decided to buy a polarising filter from Amazon UK. I have Amazon Prime so it will arrive tomorrow :) http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000 ... ss_product

I already have a small plastic box that will take the webcam perfectly (with enough room for a small heater resistor - though the webcam may produce enough heat itself to stop the window misting up).
Gina

Sorry, no banner - weather station out of action. Hoping to be up and running with a new home-made one soon.
Gina

Post by Gina »

The sky really does need something done! The attached image shows a recent webcam image with cloud and bits of blue sky but this is lost in the image :( I'm looking forward to trying a polarising filter.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gina

Sorry, no banner - weather station out of action. Hoping to be up and running with a new home-made one soon.
RCE
Weather Station: WH1080
Operating System: Vista

Post by RCE »

A polarising filter will need turning to get the best effect as the light changes.

The images look to be just under exposed 0.5 stop which would improve the sky colour and contrast in the cloud anyway.
====
Alan
geoffw
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by geoffw »

RCE wrote:A polarising filter will need turning to get the best effect as the light changes..
Now that might be a problem. As the camera is fixed I would hope there was a 'sweet' spot' that you could set the polariser to that would suit most occasions.
Geoff
Gina

Post by Gina »

geoffw wrote:
RCE wrote:A polarising filter will need turning to get the best effect as the light changes..
Now that might be a problem. As the camera is fixed I would hope there was a 'sweet' spot' that you could set the polariser to that would suit most occasions.
Yes, that's what I'm hoping. I don't really want to add a motor drive to the filter :lol:
Gina

mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

Maximum sky polarisation occurs at roughly 90 degrees to the Suns position, if you use a linear polariser that the optimum angle to the horizon will change as the Sun moves if the camera is in a fixed position.

A circular polariser may be a better bet as it is angle independent, though I don't think the effect is as pronounced. Still a fixed linear filter will be an improvement over no filter at all.
Gina

Post by Gina »

mcrossley wrote:Maximum sky polarisation occurs at roughly 90 degrees to the Suns position, if you use a linear polariser that the optimum angle to the horizon will change as the Sun moves if the camera is in a fixed position.

A circular polariser may be a better bet as it is angle independent, though I don't think the effect is as pronounced. Still a fixed linear filter will be an improvement over no filter at all.
Thanks for that info Mark :) I've bought a circular polarising filter, so we'll see how well it works.
Gina

Gina

Post by Gina »

Just received to circular polarising filter and propped it in front of the webcam - a definite improvement, the clouds are showing now :)
Gina

mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

I've just a quick test of removing the IR blocking filter from a webcam abd attaching a fisheye lens. The image quality isn't too good, but it is currently shooting through double gazing. Howve to the eye the sky is a pretty uniform haze with the odd faint contrail. The IR image is a bit different though!

http://87.194.103.60:8888
Gina

Post by Gina »

After quite a while now with the circular polarising filter on the webcam I can definitely say that it's a great success - it brings out the blue sky well.
webcamp.jpeg
Gina

burgla
Weather Station: WH1081
Operating System: XP SP3

Post by burgla »

looks good Gina - even to a colourblind male like myself!!

:clap: :clap:
hills
Weather Station: Fine Offset WH1091
Operating System: Raspbian Buster

Post by hills »

Yep looks great but...

Where have the cows gone?!? :shock:
Gina

Post by Gina »

hills wrote:Where have the cows gone?!? :shock:
They're in the next field (to the left of the frame). I expect they'll be back soon - they have access to both fields :)
Gina

Gina

Post by Gina »

The cows are back :)
webcamq.jpeg
Gina