Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Webcam .... Advice and Recommendations

Hardware/software/hints and tips/discussion/webcam links etc
Hillbilly
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus
Operating System: Vista Home Premium SP2

Re: Webcam .... Advice and Recommendations

Post by Hillbilly »

Gina wrote:However, I couldn't see how to alter the image resolution in that and I currently have it running at 640x480, same as Linux webcam. Now I know some members here have this webcam and/or Yawcam running at higher res... any suggestions, please? :)
Hi Gina,

you can amend the stream resolution under Stream, Scale To: - a dropdown that goes up to 1280 by 1024.
Many thanks
Helen

La Locherie Weather
Gina
Weather Station: Nothing working ATM - making one
Operating System: OS X, Linux Mint, Win7 & XP

Post by Gina »

Hillbilly wrote:Hi Gina,

you can amend the stream resolution under Stream, Scale To: - a dropdown that goes up to 1280 by 1024.
Thank you Helen :)
Gina

Sorry, no banner - weather station out of action. Hoping to be up and running with a new home-made one soon.
hills
Weather Station: Fine Offset WH1091
Operating System: Raspbian Buster

Post by hills »

Gina wrote:
EDIT... And how did you turn off auto-focus, Phil ? Mine seems to like hunting for focus every now and then.

select "settings" tab then "Device"(in my case Microsoft lifecam cinema) then "device properties". A new properties window will open then select "Camera control" tab. then remove the green tick from the "focus" line. Then "apply" & "ok"

EDIT: Wow I just had a look at your webcam, thats a great view!!
Gina

Post by Gina »

hills wrote:
Gina wrote: EDIT... And how did you turn off auto-focus, Phil ? Mine seems to like hunting for focus every now and then.
select "settings" tab then "Device"(in my case Microsoft lifecam cinema) then "device properties". A new properties window will open then select "Camera control" tab. then remove the green tick from the "focus" line. Then "apply" & "ok"

EDIT: Wow I just had a look at your webcam, thats a great view!!
We love it :)

Thank you for the info :) Don't know why I couldn't find it myself :lol: I've now got the webcam working at 1280x720 and fixed focus :) I may reduce the resolution a bit as it may be too wide for some people. I'm also thinking of moving the webcam outdoors with it's own waterproof housing - it's currently just inside the lounge window with it's bendy bracket wedged between the fanlight window and frame. So it's looking through domestic standard glass.
Gina

Sorry, no banner - weather station out of action. Hoping to be up and running with a new home-made one soon.
hills

Post by hills »

Yeah I left mine at 640 x 380 at 60% quality to take advantage of the wide screen, but also so it doesn't take too long to down load the previous 3 or 24 hours images as each image is about 20k For a single image though 1280 x 720 looks great!! :clap: How large is the image file?
Gina

Post by Gina »

hills wrote:Yeah I left mine at 640 x 380 at 60% quality to take advantage of the wide screen, but also so it doesn't take too long to down load the previous 3 or 24 hours images as each image is about 20k For a single image though 1280 x 720 looks great!! :clap: How large is the image file?
About 400K as I recall. ATM it's refreshing with a 2min period but I'll put that back to 5. When I get round to producing a history of images I'll use a scaled down image and probably greater compression. I've added an extra webcam page with 800 x 450 pixel image for those with lower res monitors. This resizing is done at the server end.
Gina

geoffw
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by geoffw »

Just taken a look at your webcam and it is still the middle of the night in Somerset Gina! :o
Geoff
Gina

Post by Gina »

geoffw wrote:Just taken a look at your webcam and it is still the middle of the night in Somerset Gina! :o
Just about to fix it. XP decided to reboot in the "wee small hours" :( I'd forgotten it had that habit. I'm running Win XP because ATM Yawcam is the best webcam software I can find and only works in Windows ATM. I have plans to write webcam software in Python and combine the webcam with my other weather software eventually but I have too many other calls on my time ATM. Alternatively I may try adapting Yawcam, which is written in Java, to run under Linux in the interim.

Oh and we are in Devon, though only a couple of miles from the Somerset border :lol:

EDIT... Working again now but the image is suffering from rain droplets on the window.
Gina

hills

Post by hills »

AAAAAAAAAARGH!! :o :lol:

Gina

Post by Gina »

:lol: I've had bugs too :lol:
Gina

geoffw
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by geoffw »

Unidentified Flying Objects! ..... so soon after setting it up as well :lol:

Anyway, Gina, I'm really impressed with the replacement webcam. much more detail than your last. It is now down on my wishlist for the summer. I'm glad i started this thread!
Geoff
Gina

Post by Gina »

geoffw wrote:Anyway, Gina, I'm really impressed with the replacement webcam. much more detail than your last. It is now down on my wishlist for the summer. I'm glad i started this thread!
I'm very pleased with it. And I'm glad you started this thread too, or I probably wouldn't have got this new webcam :)
Gina

Gina

Post by Gina »

Just taken down that eyesore of several cables going across to an extended fence post - the previous camera didn't cover that far across.
Gina

hills

Post by hills »

I just put a link to yawcam in my startup directory to get around the automatic reboots that windows inflicts upon us, with the hide at startup option set so the kids don't shut it down again. ;)

I'm glad you posted this thread too Geoff! I don't feel so silly spending so much on a webcam stuck to my roof, now others are doing it! :D
Gina

Post by Gina »

hills wrote:I just put a link to yawcam in my startup directory to get around the automatic reboots that windows inflicts upon us, with the hide at startup option set so the kids don't shut it down again. ;)
Yes, I'll do that (though not the kids bit :lol:). Also have to see if I can find a way to keep the HD resolution - it starts up in 640x360 ATM.
Gina