Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Yet Another Forecaster

Discussion and support for 3rd-party (non-Sandaysoft) tools for Cumulus
GraemeT
Weather Station: La Crosse WS-2355 & WS-2306
Operating System: Windoze 7, 10, 11

Yet Another Forecaster

Post by GraemeT »

For a few weeks now I've been testing an alternative method of calculating a 'local' forecast.

I feel it's now at the stage for others to evaluate/use/bag or whatever.
I've put the code in a .zip file here: http://weather.gktnet.com/public/weathe ... cripts.zip

This method uses a php version of Beteljuice's Zambretti Forecaster to do the work.
The forecaster is called at 12-hour intervals as a Windows scheduled task and produces a small text file, which can be easily imported for display in a web page.

My variant of the Zambretti code returns an array to the calling php containing a forecast number (0-26) followed by the forecast description.
The forecast number can then be used to display a graphic, such as Jacques' day/night forecast set, with the description being used as a caption etc.

Here is how the scripts work:
The task scheduler task runs forecast.vbs, which calls FCast.php, which in turn calls Zambretti.php
FCast.php then writes a file called FC.txt to disk.

The only critical part is setting up a scheduled task and setting paths in the files.

I would welcome any comments, criticisms, etc.
Cheers,
Graeme.
beteljuice
Weather Station: None !
Operating System: W10 - Threadripper 16core, etc

Re: Yet Another Forecaster

Post by beteljuice »

You forgot to mention required 'environment' eg. require_once("../cumuluswebtags.php"); ;)
and why a seperate 'flag' for forecast and number ?

As you are using php why not call once to create an array (two entries), then echo the part(s) you want ?

... but ... surely you are duplicating the Cumulus forecast, or have I missed something :?
Last edited by beteljuice on Sat 08 Sep 2012 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
......................Imagine, what you will KNOW tomorrow !
GraemeT
Weather Station: La Crosse WS-2355 & WS-2306
Operating System: Windoze 7, 10, 11

Re: Yet Another Forecaster

Post by GraemeT »

beteljuice wrote:You forgot to mention required 'environment'
cumuluswebtags.php is referenced in FCast.php and can be assumed to be already used in the user's webpage.
beteljuice wrote:and why a seperate 'flag' for forecast and number ?
I still have need for just the forecast number in another function I'm playing with, so setting the fcst flag signals the function to just return that value.
beteljuice wrote:call once to create an array (two entries)
(Edited out my dumbest answer ever) :oops: Yes, that might be done in the future.
beteljuice wrote:... surely you are duplicating the Cumulus forecast
The cumulus forecast changes almost every time cumulus updates and it really should be stable, so a 12-hour schedule seems the way to go, and (so far) it's been relatively close to what I'd expect for my location. (within the limits of the crystal ball)
Cheers,
Graeme.