Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Cumulus toolbox backup file location

Discussion and support for 3rd-party (non-Sandaysoft) tools for Cumulus
Meteosat
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows 7 sp2 64bit

Cumulus toolbox backup file location

Post by Meteosat »

Hi,
Been using toolbox in a minimal mode for some time - just pressing the backup now button once a month or so. Have now completed the full setup and instigated the auto backup function. The issue is that the 'backup now' selector gives me a nice new folder for each event containing all the backup files at that time. The auto backup just seems to add the 6 files to my backup folder without creating a new folder each time - is it possible to get it to perform the latter in the manner of the former, as I find it easier to locate the relevent files?

Cheers
daj
Weather Station: WH1081
Operating System: Pi & MX

Re: Cumulus toolbox backup file location

Post by daj »

I'm confused!

The "Backup now" runs exactly the same code as the auto backup. So they will do the same thing.

Either create multiple files appending the date and an incremental number to them, eg....

today_2011-09-06_01.ini

OR

If you have the compression turned on, it will produce one file of all the files in a neat little zipped file

It never creates a new folder :?
David
kippfordweather.uk
Cumulus MX & Raspberry Pi
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

Hmm... Cumulus creates a new folder for each of its backups - you're not confusing those with the Toolbox backups? And hopefully, you're not getting Toolbox to put its backups into the Cumulus backup folder? That breaks the Cumulus backup mechanism.
Steve
Meteosat

Post by Meteosat »

steve wrote:Hmm... Cumulus creates a new folder for each of its backups - you're not confusing those with the Toolbox backups? And hopefully, you're not getting Toolbox to put its backups into the Cumulus backup folder? That breaks the Cumulus backup mechanism.
Ah well guilty as charged Steve. Altered the backup file location for toolbox now. What's the penalty for breaking the rules? Could I pleade guilty but insane?

Cheers :shock:
Meteosat

Post by Meteosat »

daj wrote:I'm confused!

The "Backup now" runs exactly the same code as the auto backup. So they will do the same thing.

Either create multiple files appending the date and an incremental number to them, eg....

today_2011-09-06_01.ini

OR

If you have the compression turned on, it will produce one file of all the files in a neat little zipped file

It never creates a new folder :?
Ah I think I see - all I need now is to add the 7za command line - which is now done. Will test it out tonight.

Cheers
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

Meteosat wrote:What's the penalty for breaking the rules?
The penalty for putting 'other' things in the Cumulus backup folder is that when you come to need one of the backups it may not exist. It makes no difference to me, one way or the other :lol:
Steve