Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

New Cumulus realtime console

Discussion and support for 3rd-party (non-Sandaysoft) tools for Cumulus
ironeagleuk
Weather Station: Maplins N96GY (Watson W-8681)
Operating System: Windows 7 Home

Re: New Cumulus realtime console

Post by ironeagleuk »

nking wrote:Hi Richard,

Very nice.

Not knowing much about html but does it have to refresh the whole page as having the page disappear and return every 15 secs makes viewing a little frustrating. I would imagine someone has a solution so only the changed data elements are refreshed.
I've discovered that sometimes the PHP part of the console doesn't reload, and I get a message that it can't find "realtime.txt"...so to prevent that happening, I thought I would put a refresh on the whole page every 60 seconds. Don't know if there was a fix for it, but that's the only thing I can think of to prevent the problem (in my very limited ability of webpage making)
Richard

steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

ironeagleuk wrote:and I get a message that it can't find "realtime.txt"
It looks like you're not using the 'rename' option, so your realtime.txt file 'disappears' briefly while your ftp server updates it. Your ftp server may not support the rename command, though.
Steve
gemini06720
Weather Station: No weather station
Operating System: No operating system

Post by gemini06720 »

ironeagleuk wrote:I've discovered that sometimes the PHP part of the console doesn't reload, and I get a message that it can't find "realtime.txt"...
The reason for the file 'realtime.txt' not being available has been explained by Steve ... although it had not been corrected when I looked at your page as I got the 'realtime.txt missing!!!' message more than once...

Richard, a PHP page (or any web pages for that matter) will never automatically refreshed (or reload) unless some code is placed into that page ... and a complete page refresh should not (never) be done ... only the continually changing data on a page should be refreshed (reloaded) ... and the only way to obtain that type of refresh is through Ajax (JavaScript).
ironeagleuk wrote:...I thought I would put a refresh on the whole page every 60 seconds.
As Neil indicated, a page refresh every 60 seconds is quite annoying...
ironeagleuk wrote:Don't know if there was a fix for it, but that's the only thing I can think of to prevent the problem (in my very limited ability of webpage making)
No fix is needed! The PHP script 'weatherconsole.php' which you are loading into the 'weatherconsole.html' HTML template through an 'iframe' (very poor page design!) already has a refresh cycle - it uses the 'refresh.js' JavaScipt - the refresh cycle for the 'weatherconsole.php' script on your server has been set at 15 seconds (within the 'weatherconsole-config.php' script).
ironeagleuk

Post by ironeagleuk »

steve wrote:
ironeagleuk wrote:and I get a message that it can't find "realtime.txt"
It looks like you're not using the 'rename' option, so your realtime.txt file 'disappears' briefly while your ftp server updates it. Your ftp server may not support the rename command, though.
I've switched rename on in the internet settings (I didn't know I had to), but I don't think it is supported.

a temp realtime file (realtime.txttmp) is being uploaded, but the realtime.txt remains with the orginal upload time of 18:10 :?
So therefore the data doesn't seem to be being updated
Richard

steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

ironeagleuk wrote:a temp realtime file (realtime.txttmp) is being uploaded, but the realtime.txt remains with the orginal upload time of 18:10 :?
You could turn on ftp logging to see what's happening, but it sounds like your ftp server doesn't support it. I'd complain if I were you, but it probably won't do any good.
Steve
ironeagleuk

Post by ironeagleuk »

gemini06720 wrote: The reason for the file 'realtime.txt' not being available has been explained by Steve ... although it had not been corrected when I looked at your page as I got the 'realtime.txt missing!!!' message more than once...
Seemed fine when I tested it last night and this morning....sorry have been at work all day, so couldn't make any changes
gemini06720 wrote:Richard, a PHP page (or any web pages for that matter) will never automatically refreshed (or reload) unless some code is placed into that page ... and a complete page refresh should not (never) be done ... only the continually changing data on a page should be refreshed (reloaded) ... and the only way to obtain that type of refresh is through Ajax (JavaScript).
gemini06720 wrote: As Neil indicated, a page refresh every 60 seconds is quite annoying...
Have used this method on my webcam page to refresh the pic every 60 seconds and not had any complaints about it (although having said that I've not got a contact me link on the page)
gemini06720 wrote: No fix is needed! The PHP script 'weatherconsole.php' which you are loading into the 'weatherconsole.html' HTML template through an 'iframe' (very poor page design!) already has a refresh cycle - it uses the 'refresh.js' JavaScipt - the refresh cycle for the 'weatherconsole.php' script on your server has been set at 15 seconds (within the 'weatherconsole-config.php' script).
When I said "Don't know if there was a fix for it,", I didn't mean the webconsole.php was broken, I meant I was hoping someone could tell me how to sort out my webpage.
I wanted to embed it into a webpage (using the same method the BBC use to embed the weather on my homepage) like the rest of the pages on my site, but didn't know how else to do it. The method seemed to work, and like I said in a previous post, I have very limited website creation experience, and look around at other sites to find code to do what I want to do.....sorry it's poor design, but it's the best I could do. I only get a few hours to fiddle every now and then.
Last edited by ironeagleuk on Wed 14 Dec 2011 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richard

ironeagleuk

Post by ironeagleuk »

steve wrote:
ironeagleuk wrote:a temp realtime file (realtime.txttmp) is being uploaded, but the realtime.txt remains with the orginal upload time of 18:10 :?
You could turn on ftp logging to see what's happening, but it sounds like your ftp server doesn't support it. I'd complain if I were you, but it probably won't do any good.
I can't see anywhere in the file that in refers to realtime.txt

But am getting quite a few errors for the other files it's trying to process.

My provider is via FastHosts....so I'd be surprised if it doesn't allow renaming....perhaps there's a setting I need to look at in the control panel for my webspace
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Richard

ironeagleuk

Post by ironeagleuk »

ironeagleuk wrote: My provider is via FastHosts....so I'd be surprised if it doesn't allow renaming....perhaps there's a setting I need to look at in the control panel for my webspace
Can't find any settings to change. I can manually rename files with my FTP software though
Richard

steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

The realtime.txt upload is logged in realtimeftplog.txt. But it looks like it's the actual upload of the temporary file that fails, rather than the rename:

19:09:32:962 FTP Command: STOR temp.pngtmp
19:09:32:962 04612890 TriggerDataSent 1120
19:09:32:962 04612180 TriggerDataSent 720
19:09:33:034 FTP Response: 553-Can't open that file: No such file or directory
19:09:33:035 >|553-Can't open that file: No such file or directory|

19:09:33:035 FTP Response: 553 Rename/move failure: No such file or directory
19:09:33:035 >|553 Rename/move failure: No such file or directory|

19:09:33:035 04612890 TCustomWSocket.Shutdown 1 1120
19:09:33:035 ! Data Session closed
19:09:33:035 ! Next3PutAsync
19:09:33:610 Renaming temp.pngtmp to temp.png
19:09:33:610 ! HighLevelAsync 0
19:09:33:610 FTP Command: RNFR temp.pngtmp
19:09:33:612 04612180 TriggerDataSent 720
19:09:33:683 FTP Response: 550 Sorry, but that file doesn't exist
19:09:33:683 >|550 Sorry, but that file doesn't exist

It looks like it's not allowing the upload of the temp.pngtmp file for some reason. Perhaps it has restrictions on the file extensions that it allows.
Steve
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Ah, no, here's the real problem:

19:11:07:618 Changing directory to /htdocs/cumulus
19:11:07:618 FTP Command: CWD /htdocs/cumulus
19:11:07:618 04612180 TriggerDataSent 1108
19:11:07:688 FTP Response: 550 Can't change directory to /htdocs/cumulus: No such file or directory
19:11:07:688 >|550 Can't change directory to /htdocs/cumulus: No such file or directory|

I have no idea why this is only a problem when you try to use 'rename', there's something odd about the way the ftp server works. I suggest that you try just "cumulus" for the ftp directory.
Steve
ironeagleuk

Post by ironeagleuk »

steve wrote:Ah, no, here's the real problem:

19:11:07:618 Changing directory to /htdocs/cumulus
19:11:07:618 FTP Command: CWD /htdocs/cumulus
19:11:07:618 04612180 TriggerDataSent 1108
19:11:07:688 FTP Response: 550 Can't change directory to /htdocs/cumulus: No such file or directory
19:11:07:688 >|550 Can't change directory to /htdocs/cumulus: No such file or directory|

I have no idea why this is only a problem when you try to use 'rename', there's something odd about the way the ftp server works. I suggest that you try just "cumulus" for the ftp directory.
It won't let me leave out the htdocs:
Where To Upload Website Files

Ensure that your website files are uploaded to the HTDOCS folder when using FTP
That's what the online instructions say, and it can't find cumulus when I try it
Richard

nking
Weather Station: W-8681
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by nking »

Hi Richard,

I may be wrong but I think you should talk with FastHosts as I suspect they will have the answer.
gemini06720
Weather Station: No weather station
Operating System: No operating system

Post by gemini06720 »

Steve and Richard...
steve wrote:19:11:07:688 FTP Response: 550 Can't change directory to /htdocs/cumulus: No such file or directory
Might it be because there is no directory above '/htdocs/' - the slash in front of 'htdocs' is requesting the server to go one directory above the root directory - on an Apache server the 'htdocs' directory is the root directory (there is no directory above) - it would be like asking Windows to go above the 'C' directory, for example.

Since 'htdocs' is the root directory (and, technically, there is nothing above), by default, Cumulus would start its FTP connection at the root directory (ie: 'htdocs') - so Cumulus can only go down - thus, should the path for the files not be just '/cumulus/'...
ironeagleuk wrote:It won't let me leave out the htdocs:
Richard it might be because the 'cumulus' directory does not have the right file permissions...
beteljuice
Weather Station: None !
Operating System: W10 - Threadripper 16core, etc

Post by beteljuice »

the slash in front of 'htdocs' is requesting the server to go one directory above the root directory - on an Apache server the 'htdocs' directory is the root directory (there is no directory above)
No ...
/ is stating start from the root directory.
htdocs and probably logs and cgi-bin are also in that root 'user' directory.

So, assuming log-in is the 'root' address, then the 'directory' should be /htdocs/cumulus.
However; if log-in has been set to myspace/htdocs and then the 'directory' quoted as /htdocs/cumulus - that would cause problems ..
......................Imagine, what you will KNOW tomorrow !
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

ironeagleuk wrote:It won't let me leave out the htdocs:
Where To Upload Website Files

Ensure that your website files are uploaded to the HTDOCS folder when using FTP
That's what the online instructions say, and it can't find cumulus when I try it
You're already in htdocs when you log in, so if you quote a relative path (as recommended, with no leading slash) you leave it out. In your Cumulus folder there should now be be a file called ftpls.txt; it's a directory listing at the point where your ftp logs in. Please attach it.
Steve