Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Receive email notification by text message?

Discussion and support for 3rd-party (non-Sandaysoft) tools for Cumulus
daj
Weather Station: WH1081
Operating System: Pi & MX

Receive email notification by text message?

Post by daj »

(Topic split from https://cumulus.hosiene.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2510)

Paul C wrote:.....
TEXT messages -....... I,m sure there must be some free out there than can generate a text message from an email. I know I get facebook messages via text automatically so there may be a way, sadly I dont know how facebook manages it ?
Free text messaging seems elusive -- the networks make big money from texting and clearly they have massive infrastructures to support the service. (example, in the UK we send 11 million text messages every hour).

I assume Facebook can do it due to advertising revenue generated from the site each time you visit.

The service I use to send text messages cost 4.5p per message. Which is good, especially when it is an important message. example, I wrote a system which will send me a text message if any of the servers at work stop responding. Well worth the pennies it cost to send.

It's all relative I guess
Last edited by daj on Fri 26 Mar 2010 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moderator edit - split the message off to its own thread
David
kippfordweather.uk
Cumulus MX & Raspberry Pi
Hillbilly
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus
Operating System: Vista Home Premium SP2

Re: Toolbox Help

Post by Hillbilly »

I can understand why free texting is elusive when I stop and think about it. I don't think that a system which costs you money and which you need to set up a repayment system for is really a starter but we all appreciate you investigating.

I suppose you're right that many people can access emails from their mobiles now. You're also right that some email services will text when an email received. So I guess that may be an option for some. Yahoo for example will send a text, as below, which costs 10p a message at cheapest rate.

'You can trial Yahoo! mail alerts for FREE. Your first 3 alerts cost absolutely nothing! When you sign up, you can choose the package that suits your needs best:

* Our Gold package costs just £5 and you get 50 texts - that's just 10p each
* Our Bronze package costs just £1.50 and you get 10 texts - that's just 15p per text
* Or, if you don't want to pay in advance, pay for each alert individually. Pay per text at 18p per message (O2 and Vodafone) or 20p (Orange, T-Mobile and Virgin)'
Many thanks
Helen

La Locherie Weather
Paul C
Weather Station: Davis VP2 with solar
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by Paul C »

So I could create a yahoo email address and keep it just for weather alerts ?

The last option - does it come out of your mobile phone account or do you pay it Yahoo ?

I have unlimited free text messages with my mobile phone contract at the moment. May give it a try and see what happens.

EDIT speny last 30mins on the Yahoo site but I cannot locate the section relating to text alerts, anyone have a link, tks :D
Paul C
Brampton, Cumbria, UK
117m ASL
http://www.bramptonweather.co.uk
goldrush
Weather Station: Fine Offset WH1081

Post by goldrush »

Not tried it, but how about something like

http://www.cbfsms.com/

or
http://www.freesmsfrog.co.uk/
daj

Post by daj »

You need to consider these services very carefully. It costs money to send text messages so how are they going to generate revenue to handle your messages?

Sell you number?
Send you adverts?
Spam?

It's just a matter of weighing it all up I guess
David
kippfordweather.uk
Paul C

Post by Paul C »

goldrush wrote:Not tried it, but how about something like

http://www.cbfsms.com/

or
http://www.freesmsfrog.co.uk/
YEs they send free text messages, but I can see how you could use them to text you with a message from the Cumulus Toolbox ? still need something that can generate a free text alert from an email address. Cleary it will have to be a new email address designated just for your weather station as in my case I may get 2-300 messages every day, 298 of which will be useless - I,m sure someone out there can think of a solution :D
Paul C
Brampton, Cumbria, UK
117m ASL
daj

Post by daj »

Google "email to sms" - lots of options, but not free!

example....http://www.textmagic.com/products/email-to-sms

I can offer it to you right now in Toolbox, but you will need to pay ;) I guess you are looking for 'free'
David
kippfordweather.uk
Paul C

Post by Paul C »

Could it come out of my mobile phone allowance, ie go on my monthly bill or would it have to be paid upfront to yourself ?

YES I would prefer a free one, second on my monthly bill, third paying up front :D
Paul C
Brampton, Cumbria, UK
117m ASL
daj

Post by daj »

Paul

If only! I am not aware of any service that takes it from your monthly allowance :cry: It would be great if it did
David
kippfordweather.uk
Charlie
Weather Station: 1wire-Cumulus & Fine Offset
Operating System: Windows 7

Post by Charlie »

I'm not sure if it's different in Europe, but in North America you can send a text message to any mobile phone by sending an email to an address composed of the 10 digit mobile number at the providers domain they have set up for it. For example, sending a text to somebody at Virgin Mobile in Canada, you would use 9876543210@vmobile.ca. You are limited in number of characters, etc., but it converts it to SMS and sends it on it's way.
There is no charge to send in this manner, and no cost to receive texts in Canada (at least not the last time I checked the major providers). I think in Europe you get to pay for received messages, but the sending by email method is still free.
There are a number of companies that will send an SMS for you by computer for a fee, but this is really a tax on ignorance - charging you to do something you could easily do yourself for free.
daj

Post by daj »

Certainly in the UK this service (email to SMS) is not available from any of the network operators. We too do not pay to receive messages (I think the US do, but not sure who else)
David
kippfordweather.uk
TNETWeather

Re: Receive email notification by text message?

Post by TNETWeather »

I use a GSM Modem for server generated SMS messages.

I can send SMS messages to anywhere in the US for free unlimited as the modem is attached to an AT&T GSM account with free unlimited text messages.

Messages to outside the US is a different matter and I block those.

I setup an SMS gateway so that I can send commands to the server via SMS as well. Such as

TCW - Current Weather
TSUN - Solar Information
TRAIN - Rain Details
THILO - Hi's and Low's
TASTRO - Sun and Moon phases
TFCT - Todays Forecast - Many times 2 pages
TFC - Long Forecast Phx Metro Area

As well as some system commands to get current server temps, system load, mail queues etc...

Works very well but to do it you need:

o GSM Modem (~$280 USD)
o Either a SMS Gateway package (I use a package called Kannel) or a script to talk to it.
o GSM Account (I use an account off a family plan which makes it about $10 a month).

I also have a submit form on my internal pages which allows me to type in a message and select from a contact list one or more people to send a message to as well. Easier many times than using SMS on my phone.

Setup something like it for work for doing tank readings.

Modem looks like the attached (similar)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
daj

Post by daj »

So not really free then! ;) Quite an investment.

The UK networks will allow you to use an API to access their network and send messages no problem (and that is what I do) but it's not free and everyone seems to want something for nothing. LOL

I use it for my own use and I am happy to pay
David
kippfordweather.uk
RCE
Weather Station: WH1080
Operating System: Vista

Post by RCE »

If you have o2 broadband you can get emails forwarded to your phone as MMS for free. Works well, limit is max 1000 texts per month, it is fairly easy to choose which senders emails get forwarded to your phone.

My home automation system has a mobile phone connected by USB so the PC can send texts directly through the phone. I use a PAYG sim with texts only costing 3p each.
====
Alan
beteljuice
Weather Station: None !
Operating System: W10 - Threadripper 16core, etc

Post by beteljuice »

.. the PC can send texts directly through the phone. I use a PAYG sim with texts only costing 3p each ..
M$ do actually have a free downloadable app which will give an interface to a "USB Modem", which is what your (suitable) mobile pretends to be.

So if you have an old 'Pay As You Go' mobile this may be worth considering.
......................Imagine, what you will KNOW tomorrow !