Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

First Public release of Cumulus Toolbox

Discussion and support for 3rd-party (non-Sandaysoft) tools for Cumulus
nitrx
Weather Station: WH1080
Operating System: Windows 10

Re: First Public release of Cumulus Toolbox

Post by nitrx »

Pruning of the realtimelog.txt : I cant find a proper translation for 'Pruning' but my realtimelog.txt can't be found too although it's in the Cumulus directory

edit: I found it but don't know what prunig is, deleting a part ?
Last edited by nitrx on Mon 01 Feb 2010 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
daj
Weather Station: WH1081
Operating System: Pi & MX

Post by daj »

Pruning -- cutting back/reducing. Basically the realtimelog.txt file can get big very quickly. If you take a copy every one minute that is 1,440 lines in just one day! So by Pruning we reduce it automatically every few days

The file should be in the same folder as cumulus.ini :?:
David
kippfordweather.uk
Cumulus MX & Raspberry Pi
nitrx

Post by nitrx »

Oké clear to me I also thought the realtimelog.txt was editabe so I could not find it but I think this isn't necessary so that's why it was not found in the editor (it's in the same directory as cumulus.ini )
daj

Post by daj »

By manually pruning it, I mean there is a button in the Setup, realtime.txt screen -- you can click on it (once you have defined a number of days) and it will prune now rather than waiting for the system to do it
David
kippfordweather.uk
nitrx

Post by nitrx »

Thanks David it's all clear to me now
hills
Weather Station: Fine Offset WH1091
Operating System: Raspbian Buster

Post by hills »

I can't find a realtimelog.txt on my system either, but I have a realtimeftplog.txt
daj

Post by daj »

hills wrote:I can't find a realtimelog.txt on my system either, but I have a realtimeftplog.txt
realtimelog.txt is produced by 'Toolbox' not Cumulus -- so I assume you have asked it to create one.

It is basically a regular rolling log of the realtime.txt file produced by Cumulus, but it can get out of hand so it needs pruning.

PS -- Phil, added your allow 'auto shutdown option'
David
kippfordweather.uk
hills

Post by hills »

That's fantastic, thanks. I downloaded it and it has allowed me to reboot. One strange thing has happened though, I'm not sure if its the toolbox or my PC causing it. I enable the reboot option and I have put the toolbox in the startup folder with start minimised and minimise to the system tray and when I rebooted I can't see the toolbox in the system tray but I can see it is running via task manager? I'm pretty sure I have successfully started the toolbox using the startup folder before?

I have just stopped it in task manager and restarted it the normal way and it appeared in the system tray.

UPDATE: I just de-selected start minimised and rebooted again and the toolbox started on the screen and then I could minimise it to the system tray successfully, so I'm happy to use this as a work around if the problem relates to my PC rather than the toolbox. :)

PS. I think the minimise to the system tray would be a great feature for cumulus itself. I wouldn't run it as a service if it was hidden away in the system tray and that would make it much easier to get the console up for changes. ;)
daj

Post by daj »

hills wrote: I enable the reboot option and I have put the toolbox in the startup folder with start minimised and minimise to the system tray and when I rebooted I can't see the toolbox in the system tray but I can see it is running via task manager? I'm pretty sure I have successfully started the toolbox using the startup folder before?
You might need to change the notifications options on the system tray to say always show the icon

PS. I think the minimise to the system tray would be a great feature for cumulus itself. I wouldn't run it as a service if it was hidden away in the system tray and that would make it much easier to get the console up for changes. ;)
Click Configuration, Display in Cumulus ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
David
kippfordweather.uk
hills

Post by hills »

daj wrote: You might need to change the notifications options on the system tray to say always show the icon
Fantastic, that fixed it thanks!!
daj wrote: Click Configuration, Display in Cumulus ;)
Ah great! I'll convert back from a service tonight! Thanks!
daj

Post by daj »

Build 42 released
  • Fixed a logic bug when pruning the Realtimelog.txt file
  • Fixed an international issue with realtimelog and non-UK system dates
  • New Install/Uninstall routine allows you to select where to install the 'Toolbox'.
Please un-install the current version before installing this Build to allow for the new Install routines. Note, you will not loose any of your current 'Toolbox' setup. (To un-install the current version use Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel)

Wiki article here for new users
Latest install here for existing users
David
kippfordweather.uk
hills

Post by hills »

Two suggestions for enhancements...

Would it be possible to have the toolbox take regular scheduled backups of the cumulus files? I know a restart does this, but I usually leave mine running for days at a time.

Also what about a recover from backup option, where it advises you what dates are available then moves them into place.

I suspect as cumulus needs to be down these may not be possible, but after a glitch last night they would have been very handy especially the first!! :D
daj

Post by daj »

hills wrote:Would it be possible to have the toolbox take regular scheduled backups of the cumulus files? I know a restart does this, but I usually leave mine running for days at a time.
The next build does exactly that -- I am just working on getting Toolbox to Zip each backup files up into a neat little package then I will release it to the world!
David
kippfordweather.uk
daj

Post by daj »

Build 43 is available
  • Added Automatic backups of the key Cumulus Data files. You may chose to backup any or all or cumulus.ini, today.ini, yesterday.ini, dayfile.txt, Monthly log file, All time records.
  • Backups may be compressed -- see the "Requirements" secton on the Wiki on this

Download 'Toolbox' ..... http://www.gloware.co.uk/files/ToolboxSetup.exe

It is recommended that all users upgrade to this version as there are minor stability improvements too
David
kippfordweather.uk
hills

Post by hills »

Far out!! I wish I got that level of service from the vendors here who charge over $1 million per year for their support contract!! :clap:

What are you like at supporting energy/exploration sector software?? :D ;)