Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Looking for a few testers please -- Cumulus Toolbox

Discussion and support for 3rd-party (non-Sandaysoft) tools for Cumulus
gemini06720
Weather Station: No weather station
Operating System: No operating system

Re: Looking for a few testers please -- Cumulus Toolbox

Post by gemini06720 »

David, sorry to disappoint you but I did not have to do any registry editing to 'force' Toolbox to look for the 'webtag' file on the proper drive (in my case the 'B' drive that has been mapped to the folder/directory where Cumulus is located. :roll:

Looking at my CumulusToolbox (version 0.1.3.34) 'Setup' screen, I used the 'Browse' to search for and find the 'cumulus.ini' file - what I have on my 'Setup' screen now is 'B:\cumulus.ini'.

But, for the 'PHP webtag file' option, I had to manually enter the complete and proper path to the webtag file - what I have on my 'Setup' screen now is 'B:\web\cumulustags.txt' (as explained previously, on my systems (both local and online servers) I have used the file name 'cumulustags.txt' but when you release the webtag file on the Wiki, it was renamed to 'cumuluswebtags.txt').

True, I was not able to use the pull-down menu.

So, an easy solution without the need to edit the registry... ;)
daj
Weather Station: WH1081
Operating System: Pi & MX

Post by daj »

gemini06720 wrote:David, sorry to disappoint you but I did not have to do any registry editing to 'force' Toolbox
No disappointment here -- I'm glad others are thinking of ways to use/tweak it. LOL

If there is enough interest then hopefully the tool can grow with ideas from us all
David
kippfordweather.uk
Cumulus MX & Raspberry Pi
JennyLeez
Weather Station: La Crosse WS3083
Operating System: Windows XP, Win7 & Win 10

Post by JennyLeez »

Thanks Ray
The rego is correct from manual input into toolbox but toolbox still reports Cumulus not running.
I will leave as is and reboot in morning and see if that sorts it out.
Otherwise as David said. I can disable reporting until something is written to deal with network.
Cheers
Wairoa, Hawkes Bay, New Zealand Weather Station:
http://wairoa.net/weather/index.htm
Cumulus Topsites:
http://cumulussites.net/
daj

Post by daj »

JennyLeez wrote:.. but toolbox still reports Cumulus not running.
and it will continue to do so as it is looking for a process 'cumulus.exe' running on the same PC as the 'Toolbox' ;)
I will leave as is and reboot in morning and see if that sorts it out.
Otherwise as David said. I can disable reporting until something is written to deal with network.
I will work on the coding tonight (your tomorrow, LOL) to allow checking of Cumulus on a remote PC -- actually makes quite a lot of sense that 'Toolbox' can also check if the remote PC crashes :D

G'night Jenny
David
kippfordweather.uk
daj

Post by daj »

Jenny

Just for you (well, maybe for others!) I have included remote checking of the Cumulus process.

Basically you have the option of saying that Cumulus is running on another PC on your network; supply the name/IP and 'Toolbox' will check. I have tested this on a Windows 2003 Domain, but have nothing else to test it on. If anyone else can, please do. Remember, in order to confirm a process is running on another PC you need admin privileges on the network/domain

Build 36.... http://www.gloware.co.uk/files/CumulusT ... tBuild.zip
David
kippfordweather.uk
gemini06720

Post by gemini06720 »

David, since early this morning, I have been testing 'CumulusToolbox' using UNC paths (networking paths) for the 'Cumulus.ini file location' and the 'PHP webtag file' paths and it has been operating perfectly (well, as far as perfection is concerned)... ;)

Here is what I have and meant:

- for 'Cumulus.ini file location':
- the path I now have is: \\C1740053-A-5\C-CyberGenie\Cumulus\cumulus.ini

- for 'PHP webtag file':
- the path I now have is: \\C1740053-A-5\C-CyberGenie\Cumulus\web\cumulustags.txt

Explanation:
- the "C1740053-A-5" is the network identifier for the computer;
- the "C-CyberGenie" is the computer name;
- and the "Cumulus\cumulus.ini" should be obvious... :)

And, as previously mentioned, I was able to get 'CumulusToolbox' to operate perfectly using computer/drive mapping (where a networked computer hard drive becomes a local hard drive).

So, you really do not need to add additional coding to operate 'CumulusToolbox' from a networked computer... ;)
JennyLeez

Post by JennyLeez »

Hi David,

Thanks for that.
Ok selected Cumulus is running "on another computer" but whether I use name or IP addy for "computer name or IP" I get this back:
Could not connect to the remote PC. ERROR. Couldn't connect to remote machine".

I did what Ray suggested and now have a mapped drive but that did not work either.

BUT what did work, was mapped drive ( checked rego, that was correct ) and selecting " on another computer" but leaving name or IP blank.

Cheers
Jenny
Cumulus Topsites:
gemini06720

Post by gemini06720 »

David, I am encountering a little situation ... probably not with Toolbox ... but my lack of knowledge... :oops:

On the 'System Checks' tab, the 'Check if ... Cumulus Running' option, I have chosen the "Cumulus is running ... on another computer' option - what am I expected to enter in the 'Computer name or IP' box???

As indicated in a previous message, I have been and still am using UNC path to point to my Cumulus files which are located on a networked computer, such as:

- the path to the 'cumulus.ini file : \\C1740053-A-5\C-CyberGenie\Cumulus\cumulus.ini
- the path to the PHP webtag file: \\C1740053-A-5\C-CyberGenie\Cumulus\web\cumulustags.txt
- the path to the 'cumulus.exe' file': \\C1740053-A-5\C-CyberGenie\Cumulus\cumulus.exe

So, I have tried the following without success:
- 192.168.200.105 which is the networked computer IP address
- C1740053-A-5 which is the name of the computer as seen through Windows network option
- C-CyberGenie which is the name I gave to hard drive 'C' on that networked computer
- \\C1740053-A-5\C-CyberGenie\Cumulus\cumulus.exe

So, what do I need to enter to check if 'cumulus.exe' is still operating/running on a networked computer? :?
daj

Post by daj »

gemini06720 wrote:David, I am encountering a little situation ... probably not with Toolbox ... but my lack of knowledge... :oops:

On the 'System Checks' tab, the 'Check if ... Cumulus Running' option, I have chosen the "Cumulus is running ... on another computer' option - what am I expected to enter in the 'Computer name or IP' box???

So, I have tried the following without success:
- 192.168.200.105 which is the networked computer IP address
- C1740053-A-5 which is the name of the computer as seen through Windows network option
- C-CyberGenie which is the name I gave to hard drive 'C' on that networked computer
- \\C1740053-A-5\C-CyberGenie\Cumulus\cumulus.exe

So, what do I need to enter to check if 'cumulus.exe' is still operating/running on a networked computer? :?
Either of the first two options.

What the check does is ask the 'other' PC for a list of currently running processes, it is not looking for a filename so the last two options will not work.

If the 'other' computer has a local windows firewall turned on it may be preventing your 'Toolbox' machine for probing it. You also need to be authenticated with the other PC with admin privileges. This is normally done if your PCs are on a Windows Domain and you have admin rights to the complete Domain.

Do you know if you are a Windows Domain, or are you simply a Workgroup setup?
David
kippfordweather.uk
JennyLeez

Post by JennyLeez »

Hi David,

Love the editor :)
Still does not work if I put Computer name or IP in.
But does worked with mapped drive and "Cumulus is running ... on another computer' option.
Mine is a Workgroup only with full control.

Cheers
Jenny
Cumulus Topsites:
daj

Post by daj »

JennyLeez wrote:Hi David,

Love the editor :)
thanks -- Make sure you are on Build 39!
Still does not work if I put Computer name or IP in.
But does worked with mapped drive and "Cumulus is running ... on another computer' option.
Mine is a Workgroup only with full control.
I will need to see if I can figure out how to check a remote computer if you are not authenticated with it
David
kippfordweather.uk
gemini06720

Post by gemini06720 »

daj wrote:Do you know if you are a Windows Domain, or are you simply a Workgroup setup?
David, my computers are networked on a workgroup system.