Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Cumulus Realtime Gadget

Discussion and support for 3rd-party (non-Sandaysoft) tools for Cumulus
sjukmidlands
Weather Station: Techno-Line WS2300
Operating System: Windows 8 Consumer Preview 64bit

Re: Cumulus Realtime Gadget

Post by sjukmidlands »

:lol: Thanks! All confusion over! (Explains why it was showing slightly different readings from mine!) It all makes sense now!

But once again well done and thanks for a brilliant re-design of this gadget, so that it actually works OK! :clap:
sjukmidlands

Post by sjukmidlands »

Looking again at the post which caused confusion, I see you referred to Steve and Michael and assumed Steve was me, and then in the screenshots, the first was so obviously not mine (the one which was Steve's I realise now) but the second one (presumably Michaels) was very close to my own readings, and thus assumed you were referring to mine, as the other Steve and I were (I think) the only people to post to this thread since your intial post earlier with the new gadget. Confusion then ensued....

Too may Steve's! I come across this problem often....
sjukmidlands

Post by sjukmidlands »

...and I do see now that Michael did post early on in the thread also having problems....

Steve (Johnson)
akasonny
Weather Station: Zephyr TD-1000
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by akasonny »

Its working here now, finally. Nice to see and a handy gadget.

To minimize the confusion of the "Steves", my nicname is Sonny and it works for me.
sjukmidlands

Post by sjukmidlands »

A slight issue noted with this gadget is that it doesn't always update the data. It will do for a short time but then seems to stop and just sits there showing the last data it downloaded. Clicking the settings button and then straight away the OK button, it updates instantly.

Initially thought this ws an issue just here, but have tried it on a friends PC and does the same there too.

Hopefully this is something which can be fixed, as my (local) friends who tried it earlier on their PC thought it was a brilliant gadget too!

What seems to be happening is that it continues collecting data until it can't, maybe the bandwidth is being used by email polling or web surfing (although I am on a 50MBit Cable connection) and once it cannot retrieve a data set it sits there and doesn't try again.

Steve
dane
Weather Station: Rosenborg 68700
Operating System: Win10 Ult., 64-bit, RaspberryPi

Post by dane »

What seems to be happening is that it continues collecting data until it can't, maybe the bandwidth is being used by email polling or web surfing (although I am on a 50MBit Cable connection) and once it cannot retrieve a data set it sits there and doesn't try again.
Next time it occurs, could you please check the realtime.txt that feeds the gadget and tell me if its date/time stamp differs from what the gadget shows?
Ib
sjukmidlands

Post by sjukmidlands »

Thanks for the reply!

I had set the realtime.txt file to upload to my server space every 3 seconds, but reset it last night to 10 seconds to see if it helped. The gadget is currently set to download data every 10 seconds.

Having just looked again, the gadget stopped polling the text file at 11:20:07

I think the realtime.txt file would of course be up to date as the Cumulus Realtime page I have updates ok, and this is the data string from the txt file grabbed from http://www.imagearchitect.co.uk/weather/realtime.txt by entering this in a browser:

12/01/10 12:41:11 1.8 94 0.9 0.0 0.0 0 0.0 0.0 1002.6 --- 0 mph C mb mm 44.6 -0.9 2.5 2.5 1.0 21.2 40 1.8 +0.1 1.9 11:57 1.0 04:40 114.0 06:50 114.0 06:50 1014.8 00:04 1002.6 12:33 1.8.9 896 13.4 -0.1 -0.1 0 0 0 0 0.0 22 1 0

Obviously, as this data updates every 10 seconds, it will have a different time stamp, as soon as the gadget stops getting data.

However, if therefore in a session, the gadget fails to download one data set, would this cause it to stop trying again?
Having said that occasionally I get an error screen on the gadget about unable to connect to server, but it then auto refreshes ok without my intervention....

I have no real understanding of how you designed the gadget - I'm not a software designer and don't understand it! But, trying to think logically, is this issue perhaps something to do with the frequency the gadget downloads data compared to the frequency it is uploaded? i.e. if it sees a data time stamp the same as the last one it got, it stops getting data??? Therefore, decreasing the frequency it gets data, to say 30 sec or 60 secs might help?

I'm not familiar of course with how this gadget is designed to work, but am trying to give you as much information as I can.

Let me know if you need me to try anything else!

Good luck!
Steve
dane

Post by dane »

I'm not familiar of course with how this gadget is designed to work
Makes it two of us :D I, too, am not familiar with the inner workings of its design (done by Daniel Lintott).
I simply modified it to read from realtime.txt - but left the communication parts untouched.

One thing you could do for me to help me understand where it hangs: turn on debugging:
- stop the gadget
- create an empty debug.txt file in its directory:
C:\Users\<your username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsSidebar\Gadgets\cumulusih.gadget
- restart the gadget

When it next hangs: stop it and attach the debug.txt file (- or at least the last part of it if it is too gigantic...)
Ib
beteljuice
Weather Station: None !
Operating System: W10 - Threadripper 16core, etc

Post by beteljuice »

In Cumulus control panel, see if this makes any difference (good or bad)

Configuration / Internet Settings / Site/Options

.. Web settings: Make sure "Use FTP rename" is ticked, and "Delete before upload" is NOT.
Last edited by beteljuice on Tue 12 Jan 2010 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
......................Imagine, what you will KNOW tomorrow !
dane

Post by dane »

Beteljuice: thanks for helping :clap:
Maybe you can also tell me the difference between a

Code: Select all

xmlHttpObj.open('GET'
and a 'POST' ?
(the code used to have a POST, but that caused hangs for some users, so I changed it to a GET)
Ib
sjukmidlands

Post by sjukmidlands »

Ok, thanks to you both for the advice/suggestions. Have changed the FTP settings as advised, rename was not ticked before so changed that, delete wasn't so left it as was. Will see how that helps now and report back in a while. If there's still a problem I will then try creating the debug file as suggested and upload here later on.

I'm sure this can easily be resolved eventually, fingers crossed!

Once again it is a brilliant gadget!

Steve
sjukmidlands

Post by sjukmidlands »

Having just tried the gadget with the ftp settings in Cumulus changed as advised, it was still not auto updating. Hence am now about to follow the other suggestion and create a debug file. I will attach it here soon!

Steve
Last edited by sjukmidlands on Tue 12 Jan 2010 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sjukmidlands

Post by sjukmidlands »

Having just looked, my Cumulus webpages were neither updating since the time I changed the ftp settings to rename so have changed it back and they at least are updating again now.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

Some ftp servers don't support rename, including yours, it would seem, sadly.
Steve
sjukmidlands

Post by sjukmidlands »

OK - here is the debug.txt file created after it stopped working again. I hope it helps!

Steve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.