Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Vantage Vue Rain Collector/Gauge

For discussion of DIY weather equipment - sensors, accessories, improvements to existing kit etc
baylisj
Weather Station: Vantage Pro 2
Operating System: Windows 7.0

Vantage Vue Rain Collector/Gauge

Post by baylisj »

Hi,

Had my Vantage Vue about a year. Rain collection has worked fine. ;)

Recently it seems to stop registering rainfall (not all the time), mainly in windy conditions but sometimes it works in windy conditions too. :shock:

I did follow the - "just go through Set Up in the Console and press Done" procedure and this seems to get it registering again. (Saw this as a solution on the web). However, this doesn't seem to make any difference now either.

It is mounted on the roof of my house on a 1m pole so I can't get up to inspect it without phoning someone, like the tv aerial guy who erected it. You would think there maybe something in there but then it works again for days before the "odd" not registering pops up (Spider maybe?). The times it is not registering is starting to get more frequent though.

Anyone else had problems?

Getting a tad peeved off! :bash: :bash:

Cheers
Jon
Johnny25
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows 7

Re: Vantage Vue Rain Collector/Gauge

Post by Johnny25 »

The only way you're going to solve the problem is getting the Vue down and inspecting it.

After the recent snow I had a similar problem. This was caused by build up of debris in the rain collector. A quick clean and check and all was fine again.

I have the Vue mounted on a tripod, so access to cleaning and checking is fairly straightforward.
baylisj

Post by baylisj »

Cheers - yep I need to get up there. It's registering slowly when raining hard so it has to be blocked or part-blocked.

:evil:
Cheers

Follow me @ChadWeather
water01
Weather Station: Ecowitt HP2551
Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Post by water01 »

I guess that is the problem with having a totally integrated unit like the Vantage Vue as technically speaking the rain Gauge shouldn't be above the roof. http://wiki.sandaysoft.com/a/FAQ#Where_ ... ain_sensor
David
gemini06720
Weather Station: No weather station
Operating System: No operating system

Post by gemini06720 »

baylisj wrote:Recently it seems to stop registering rainfall (not all the time), mainly in windy conditions but sometimes it works in windy conditions too.
Jon, as indicated in the documentation supplied with the Vantage Vue, under the headline "Most Common Rain Collector Problem", the answer is "If the rain collector seems to be under-reporting rainfall, clean the debris screen and tipping spoon module to clear out any debris". The documentation also suggests "To maintain accuracy, thoroughly clean the rain collector cone and debris screen as needed or at least once a year".
water01 wrote:I guess that is the problem with having a totally integrated unit like the Vantage Vue as technically speaking the rain Gauge shouldn't be above the roof
David, for a integrated weather station (such as a Vantage Vue), where should the rain collector be located if there is no location at ground level around the house? :roll:

The information provided in the Wiki about the placement of the rain collector are for 'ideal' conditions/locations only. Be aware that a rain collector can also be mounted about one meter above the roof gable and at least one meter away from any solid objects, such as chimney - the quantity of rain received by the rain collector at roof level will not be different than the quantity of rain received by the rain collector at ground level (no matter what the critics will say/write) - the Vantage Vue rain collector is wide enough (circular with a width of about 4.8" or 12cm) that only very high winds could/might be affecting the rain readings.
bigmac
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Wireless
Operating System: Raspbian wheezy

Post by bigmac »

Just a quick question on this as I am considering a Vue, I appreciate the unit is sold as a complete all in one solution, but CAN the rain gauge and/or temperature sensor be split off from the main unit, even with maybe a homemade mounting solution or is it all really totally one unit?
gemini06720

Post by gemini06720 »

bigmac wrote:...but CAN the rain gauge and/or temperature sensor be split off from the main unit, even with maybe a homemade mounting solution or is it all really totally one unit?
Have you had a look at the Vantage Vue web site yet - you should if you are planning to buy the Vantage Vue weather station - the full list of features, the specification, the PDF documentations as well as high resolution pictures are available on the Vantage Vue Wireless Weather Station web page - should answer many of your questions... :roll:

By the way, the Vantage Vue is totally all-in-one unit - there is no easy way to separate individual sensors. The only way to obtain a flexible, high quality and reliable weather station is to look at the Vantage Pro2 weather station...
baylisj

Post by baylisj »

Thanks Ray.

Got the Vantage Vue down today. Didn't find any blockage in the rain collector, spoon or debris screen. Cleaned it all and back up. It did manage 768mm/hr during testing :). Records amended. Seems all OK. Have to see what happens. Just my luck no heavy rain for a few days.
Cheers

Follow me @ChadWeather
gemini06720

Post by gemini06720 »

Although the following would affect all readings, make sure you have good reception between the ISS (integrated sensor suite) and the console - they should not be more than 300 meters apart (line of sight), much less if there are thick walls.

If the rain collection values do not coincide with your perceive precipitations, it is best to communicate (via eMail) with the support people at Davis Instruments Technical Support (at support@davisnet.com) - the tech support people are a lot more knowledgeable than any of the users on this and other forums... ;)
bigmac

Post by bigmac »

gemini06720 wrote:By the way, the Vantage Vue is totally all-in-one unit - there is no easy way to separate individual sensors. The only way to obtain a flexible, high quality and reliable weather station is to look at the Vantage Pro2 weather station...
Thanks Ray. I do appreciate the unit is built as an all-in-one solution, but was just interested to know if anyone had tried to separate out the individual elements (mainly the temperature sensor) to enable better siting of the individual parts, as I know how much some of you like to tinker and re-engineer things! Unfortunately a Pro2 is way out of my price bracket as I live in the UK and we have to pay a UK premium compared to the price you US/Canadian folks can buy them for :cry:
gemini06720

Post by gemini06720 »

You do realize that once you have opened a Davis Instruments weather station to 'tinker with' your warranty is gone... :shock:

Unfortunately, none of the professional grade external transmitters produced by Davis Instruments are compatible with the Vantage Vue (and they are probably way out of your financial comfort zone), such as, for example, the Wireless Temperature Station or the Wireless Temperature/Humidity Station or the Wireless Anemometer/Sensor Transmitter Kit.
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

An example Ray, the wireless temperature sender is £240 in the UK ~ $380 vs. $195 in the USA. Shipping stuff across the Atlantic is expensive, unlike shipping from China :lol:
bigmac

Post by bigmac »

..and theoretically, we can't utilise American "wireless" imports as they operate in an illegal radio spectrum in the UK, so we are forced to buy UK/EU only (unless we want a visit from our friendly Telecoms regulator :lol: )
Although I did read a blog about someone tinkering with the frequency bands on a Davis unit...... ;)
baylisj

Post by baylisj »

gemini06720 wrote:Although the following would affect all readings, make sure you have good reception between the ISS (integrated sensor suite) and the console - they should not be more than 300 meters apart (line of sight), much less if there are thick walls.

If the rain collection values do not coincide with your perceive precipitations, it is best to communicate (via eMail) with the support people at Davis Instruments Technical Support (at support@davisnet.com) - the tech support people are a lot more knowledgeable than any of the users on this and other forums... ;)

Cheers Ray - I am going to get a basic rain gauge and stick it in the grass in the back garden and compare totals and see how they differ. If massively different I will contact Davis support. There is light rain falling now (has been for 10 minutes) and it is yet to register. :?
Cheers

Follow me @ChadWeather
gemini06720

Post by gemini06720 »

mcrossley wrote:An example Ray, the wireless temperature sender is £240 in the UK ~ $380 vs. $195 in the USA. Shipping stuff across the Atlantic is expensive, unlike shipping from China
Mark I really feel sorry for you guys (and gals) off the eastern and western coasts of North America - someone out there is really 'abusing' the system (and 'monumentally screwing up' any eventual purchasers) by OVER inflating the prices of the Davis Instruments products - it has gone past the point of 'abuse', past the point of 'ridicule'... :evil:
bigmac wrote:..and theoretically, we can't utilise American "wireless" imports as they operate in an illegal radio spectrum in the UK, so we are forced to buy UK/EU only...
Indeed, someone (or many ones) out there in the dark and stuffy offices of the UK government found a way, years ago, to add un-required taxes to many imports (including the Davis Instruments) and was probably well compensated for his/her/their efforts... :evil:
baylisj wrote:I am going to get a basic rain gauge and stick it in the grass in the back garden and compare totals and see how they differ.
Both the weather station rain cone and the basic rain gauge should be at the same location (next to each others) and at the same height (above the ground) to really make fair comparisons... ;)
baylisj wrote:If massively different I will contact Davis support.
Indeed, contact Technical Support directly via an eMail message - one of the representatives should reply within a few days - make sure you include as much information as possible into your eMail message (more info is way better than less).

I cannot remember the length of the warranty period on the Davis Instruments products (probably shorter for you guys in the UK), but, hopefully your station is still covered.

It is really too bad you are not in North America (or you could not buy from North America) as Davis Instruments offers, for a very reasonable fee (about $100 + shipping costs), a complete refurbish of weather stations - not only are all parts checked and replaced if needed, the station is fully tested before being returned... :roll: