Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Weatherproofing circutry

For discussion of DIY weather equipment - sensors, accessories, improvements to existing kit etc
ScottM
Weather Station: homebrew
Operating System: Win 7

Weatherproofing circutry

Post by ScottM »

I have the electronics for my weather station working. But I can't put it outside as is; it wouldn't survive long.

What techniques to people use to weatherproof the circuitry? The two obvious problems are water, and having an enclosure heat up in the sun and throw readings off. I can smear vasoline on the circuit boards and wrap them in plastic, but that's clearly not going to work for the humidity sensor and temperature sensor...

Anyone got an enclosure design they've had long term success with? The Arduino and wifi board together came to over $100 and I'd rather not repeat that expense in three years. Thaniks!
BCJKiwi
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Cabled
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Re: Weatherproofing circutry

Post by BCJKiwi »

1. Buy a spray can of 'protective circuit board lacquer' and liberally cover every part of the assembled board (except any sensor elements of course!).
2. Put it in a ventilated cabinet. If you use a plastic electrical box designed for outdoors, then you can put extra conduit bushes in the unused cable holes on the bottom (you could also do the same on the side near the top and add an elbow so any opening is facing down). Pack the open conduit bushes with fine gauze (plastic or stainless steel mesh etc) or similar. This will allow the cabinet to breathe but will keep out all the water and bugs etc.