Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Web cam heater demister

For discussion of DIY weather equipment - sensors, accessories, improvements to existing kit etc
darc
Weather Station: Davis vp2 // Maplins N96GY
Operating System: Win 7 Home / Nokia Lumia Win

Web cam heater demister

Post by darc »

Hi I have fitted my hd cam into a old halogen outdoor light fitting but I would like to fit a heater or demister mainly for use in the morning as I am sometimes unable to take a pic due to misting.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by steve on Sat 22 Sep 2012 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Resized enormous image
Weather station Davis Vantage Pro 2 / Maplins Forecaster N96GY http://www.pwsweather.com/obs/29021968.html

Canon camera 1100d Samsung compact
AllyCat
Weather Station: Fine Offset 1080/1 & 3080
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Re: Web cam heater demister

Post by AllyCat »

Hi,

The simple method would be to put in a resistor with a value suitable to use any "spare" power available from whatever power supply is feeding the camera (USB?). However, I doubt if that will be sufficient to evaporate the considerable amount of condensation apparent in the photo.

If enough power is available, something like a 6watt car/motorcycle (12v/6v) bulb might be a good starting point (in a tin or aluminium foil, etc., to prevent the light escaping). Tungsten (filiament) bulbs can make quite good heaters, they still generate heat, with little light output, if operated below their rated voltage.

However, since it appears you may also have a cobweb issue, I'd be inclined to add an external "windscreen wiper", but it dpends on your level of mechanical/electronics expertise.

Cheers, Alan.
darc
Weather Station: Davis vp2 // Maplins N96GY
Operating System: Win 7 Home / Nokia Lumia Win

Post by darc »

120922-110233.jpg
Thanks Alan your right I don,t think there would be enough power in the webcam but the box the cam is fitted to
may be big enough to house a motorbike batt as to make the cam easy to be moved it is not stuck to the roof the
box is just filled with gravel to hold it in place, but like you say a wiper would be an idea I may nip down to the
breakers to see what would be asvailable.

Cheers Geoff
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Weather station Davis Vantage Pro 2 / Maplins Forecaster N96GY http://www.pwsweather.com/obs/29021968.html

Canon camera 1100d Samsung compact
mikechristelow
Weather Station: Watson W8681 (solar)
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Post by mikechristelow »

I'm thinking of mounting my USB webcam externally and locating it in a dummy CCTV camera housing - just a few quid. I'll post the results here! :)
http://www.christelow.co.uk
“It's snowing still," said Eeyore gloomily.
"So it is."
"And freezing."
"Is it?"
"Yes," said Eeyore. "However," he said, brightening up a little, "we haven't had an earthquake lately.”

bruce45
Weather Station: wh1081
Operating System: windows 10

Post by bruce45 »

you could try putting silica gel packs inside they do need to be changed but work quite well removing moisture. could also make sure there are no screw holes not sealed, I just use silicon sealant and put it both inside and out (belt and braces)
hope this might help
bruce