Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Fine Offset WH1080 - Spider Proof Rain Gauge

For discussion of DIY weather equipment - sensors, accessories, improvements to existing kit etc
GreenwoJ
Weather Station: FineOffset WH1080 (Maplin N96GY)
Operating System: Windows 11

Fine Offset WH1080 - Spider Proof Rain Gauge

Post by GreenwoJ »

Hiya,

Putting my WH1080 on a mast attached to the highest point of the roof seemed like a great idea, especially since I'd run a cable down to an external battery at ground level - I'd never need to climb up there again (...was the plan).

Yesterday was the 2nd time this year that I had to risk life and limb to evict a spider from the rain gauge. Hanging onto the top of the ladder and trying to remove loads of web from around the see-saw with one hand was just too much. Please find attached a photo my spider proof (hopefully) rain sensor.

Cutting a piece of wire mesh (from a cheap tea strainer) to cover the two exits vents and bending the edge to block the cover securing tabs should do the trick. The two large holes each side of the sensor board itself were easily blocked with hot glue. I decided not similarly block the two centre holes in case the glue interfered with the tipper action - it seems these holes will be covered by the arm when screwed onto the pole.

Chat soon.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
My weather pages for Hythe, Hampshire
Spider-Vice
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Raspbian

Re: Fine Offset WH1080 - Spider Proof Rain Gauge

Post by Spider-Vice »

That might not be 100% efficient but it will be much more. That's what I did to mine too, due to the dry weather the rain gauge was a spider lounge :lol:
NO0C
Weather Station: Weatherwise WS-2080
Operating System: Windows XP

Post by NO0C »

I'm curious how you addressed keeping the spiders from entering the tipping bucket assembly via the funnel hole? Or did you?
Tim

"That makes sense to me, doesn't it?" - DUBYA
darc
Weather Station: Davis vp2 // Maplins N96GY
Operating System: Win 7 Home / Nokia Lumia Win

Post by darc »

I have the same problem I have the same gauge please let us know how well it works,
have you done something simular on the funnel ?

Hope it works Geoff
Weather station Davis Vantage Pro 2 / Maplins Forecaster N96GY http://www.pwsweather.com/obs/29021968.html

Canon camera 1100d Samsung compact
Gina
Weather Station: Nothing working ATM - making one
Operating System: OS X, Linux Mint, Win7 & XP

Post by Gina »

I did a similar thing with my rain gauge but with plastic fly screen. The hole in the funnel already has a "spider stopper" and they can't get in there (but muck and leaves can block the holes! :()

I have my rain gauge just about ground level to reduce the affect of wind blowing rain drops out of the funnel.
Gina

Sorry, no banner - weather station out of action. Hoping to be up and running with a new home-made one soon.
darc
Weather Station: Davis vp2 // Maplins N96GY
Operating System: Win 7 Home / Nokia Lumia Win

Post by darc »

Hi I would be very interested to no how you are getting on with your rain gauge and if you have managed to keep the spiders out.

Geoff
Weather station Davis Vantage Pro 2 / Maplins Forecaster N96GY http://www.pwsweather.com/obs/29021968.html

Canon camera 1100d Samsung compact
Gina
Weather Station: Nothing working ATM - making one
Operating System: OS X, Linux Mint, Win7 & XP

Post by Gina »

Haven't had any spiders in it since the mod :) Get leaves in the funnel though and a certain amount of grit all of which needs cleaning out now and again.
Gina

Sorry, no banner - weather station out of action. Hoping to be up and running with a new home-made one soon.