Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Touch Screen - replaced by switches

For discussion of DIY weather equipment - sensors, accessories, improvements to existing kit etc
sanramonrover
Weather Station: 265NC
Operating System: dreaded Win 7

Re: Touch Screen - replaced by switches

Post by sanramonrover »

Succeeded in building a switch bank to try to replace the now missing touch screen. Based on the original testing by hans to find which wires to the touch screen function, I ended up with a bank of 16 switches. Some wire combinations of the 8 wires do not have any effect on the display.

Got all functions of the display to work - I think! Can set and reset clock, calendar, temp, humidity, rain, etc. But I do have one button which beeps, but shows no signs of doing anything on the display.

Also not sure if the memory clear function works.

If anyone else is pursuing this engineering challenge, I can post tables and photos of progress so far.
Gina
Weather Station: Nothing working ATM - making one
Operating System: OS X, Linux Mint, Win7 & XP

Post by Gina »

Well done :clap:
Gina

Sorry, no banner - weather station out of action. Hoping to be up and running with a new home-made one soon.
hans
Weather Station: wh1080 /ws4000(alecto)
Operating System: Windows 10 64 bit

Post by hans »

nice job,i never got to finish it,glad you did. :clap:
always to busy with other things at the same time
(right now i'm working on an automated system to feed plant furtiliser daily and weekly (2sorts) in a small shrimp tank).
in dutch and english: http://home.zonnet.nl/rsetteur/doseersp ... _spuit.htm

if you can ,post some pics and how-to for other users.
very interrested in what the connections finally are
sanramonrover
Weather Station: 265NC
Operating System: dreaded Win 7

Post by sanramonrover »

For those so inclined :? diagrams and photos of touch screen replaced by switches.
wire 1 is the bottom wire going to the touch screen foil cable (as determined by hans)

The faint circles represent the contact point of each switch.
The black dots represent a solder connection of crossed wires.

Bought 16 micro PCB mount momentary push switches - about $1 each,
Bought a piece of proto board, barely big enough - $5

Found an 8 wire miniature plug and 2 sockets scavenged from a dismantled CD player.

Attached switches in a square pattern - almost too close to each other for wiring, and large fingers!
Jumpered the socket to switches in the simplest wiring layout - but perhaps should have taken into account better switch layout.

Soldered the PCB mount pins of the other socket directly to the foil cable. After a couple of tests, the foils cracked, losing contact. Soldered real wires, using a blue ribbon cable salvaged from a computer HD connector over top of the foils.
The little white socket is now mounted firmly in a slot cut in the back of the console case.

Tested each switch function while watching the display screen. Switch #11 does not function. It beeps but doesn't seem to do anything. But perhaps that is not abnormal. I counted the touch areas on the screen and there are exactly 15. So perhaps it does not need the 16th switch.