Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

FO transmitter voltage / range relationship

For discussion of DIY weather equipment - sensors, accessories, improvements to existing kit etc
artworksmetal
Weather Station: Ambient Weather 2080
Operating System: Windows 7

FO transmitter voltage / range relationship

Post by artworksmetal »

The specs for the Fine Offset transmitter link found here indicate a maximum recommended supply voltage of 5.4V. (6.0V absolute max).

Has anybody tested the limits of this? Anyone fried their board out with too much voltage, or significantly improved the range and TX output by using 4.5V instead of 3V ?
Art Thompson
Timberville, VA USA

http://www.3866n7874w.net
Orion
Weather Station: WH1081 (Maplin)
Operating System: windows 10 64bit

Re: FO transmitter voltage / range relationship

Post by Orion »

Have an old WH1050 been thinking of running it from 3AA size NiMH giving 3.6v may give it a try some time
Charlie
Weather Station: 1wire-Cumulus & Fine Offset

Post by Charlie »

Orion wrote:Have an old WH1050 been thinking of running it from 3AA size NiMH giving 3.6v may give it a try some time
Bad idea. NiMH self discharge very quickly. Sitting on the shelf they lose about 10% per week.
They are great for applications that require a lot of current for a short period of time like two way radios or older digital cameras. The WH1050 requires very little current for a long period of time. In fact, high capacity NiMH are possibly the worst choice of battery you can make.

As to the original question... there is more than simply the transmitter in there so you may damage other parts of the circuit with higher voltage. But it is an interesting idea for a small increase in range or if you typically get lost contact messages within a few weeks of installing new batteries.

How would you propose to actually measure the relationship of range to battery voltage?
artworksmetal
Weather Station: Ambient Weather 2080

Post by artworksmetal »

Charlie wrote: there is more than simply the transmitter in there so you may damage other parts of the circuit with higher voltage. But it is an interesting idea for a small increase in range or if you typically get lost contact messages within a few weeks of installing new batteries.

How would you propose to actually measure the relationship of range to battery voltage?
Good point. I couldn't find specific data on the temp or pressure sensors. With the hope that they are regulated or compensated to ensure accuracy, it might still be a bit of a risk. It would however be folly for them to design something that works at the top end of it's limits. So if no one else chimes in, I'll volunteer to be the lab rat on this. Worst case, I'm out $30.

As to measuring range, I don't have any tools for measuring signal strength or anything like that. So I would go for a more statistical approach. If my 'Lost contact' errors drop to near zero, I'll move the transmitter further away. My goal is to move it about 50 ft further (it's at about 200 ft right now). If I can move it with only the occasional dropout (and it doesn't fry), it will be a success.
Of course, the one thing I can't measure is the impact that the PS voltage might have on long term life of the electronics. But I can live with that.
Art Thompson
Timberville, VA USA

http://www.3866n7874w.net