Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Night sky images?

For discussion of DIY weather equipment - sensors, accessories, improvements to existing kit etc
fractonimbus
Weather Station: WH1091
Operating System: Windows 7 on a Dell Vostro

Re: Night sky images?

Post by fractonimbus »

Lenses: also worth a look, and usually very good prices: http://www.surplusshed.com I have found them quick and very reliable.

DN
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

Gina wrote:Thanks for the links :) 1.68 mm FL lens and a 0.003-lux B/W camera with 1/3 inch CCD sensor would give 90 degrees coverage by my calculation though not sure the usual calculation applies at very short focal lengths. If you get 140 degrees with 1.9 mm, it looks like my calcs are wrong :lol:
The 1.9mm on this page comes out at 132 deg diagonal on a 1/3" format camera according to them.
Gina
Weather Station: Nothing working ATM - making one
Operating System: OS X, Linux Mint, Win7 & XP

Post by Gina »

Thanks Mark :)

I'm seriously thinking in investing in a high sensitivity camera like the 0.003 lux one. I think that in itself would show quite a lot. My MS Lifecam picks up distant street lights a good mile or so away and I think if it were pointed up at the sky more it might pick up the brightest stars/planets. Here is an image from my current "weathercam" with brightness, contrast and gamma correction to bring the background noise up to the threshold of visibility. This is a single frame captured with Yawcam, uploaded to my web site by my P4 XP machine and downloaded with my AMD 64 with Firefox in Linux. (Should add - it has a polarising filter, so that cuts the light by half)
webcam-night2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gina

Sorry, no banner - weather station out of action. Hoping to be up and running with a new home-made one soon.
fractonimbus

Post by fractonimbus »

Gina, what model Lifecam are you using?

DN
Gina

Post by Gina »

fractonimbus wrote:Gina, what model Lifecam are you using?
Microsoft H5D-00003 Lifecam Cinema Webcam to give it's full title.
Gina

Sorry, no banner - weather station out of action. Hoping to be up and running with a new home-made one soon.
Gina

Post by Gina »

mcrossley wrote:The 1.9mm on this page comes out at 132 deg diagonal on a 1/3" format camera according to them.
I've just checked the CCTV cameras we use for security and checking the livestock. The wide angle lenses are 2.1mm focal length, used with "board cameras" - 1/4" CMOS image sensor. This gives something like 90 degrees coverage in practice. Both cameras and lenses were bought from Maplin but they don't do them any more. Pity I didn't buy more wide angle lenses when they were available really - cheaper than I've found elsewhere (but I tend not to buy more than needed).
Gina

hans
Weather Station: wh1080 /ws4000(alecto)
Operating System: Windows 10 64 bit

Post by hans »

you can also let the (web)cam piggybak on a small telescope with goto-system.
eg the MEADE etx-70 isn't very expensive second hand.
so it would follow the earth rotation and allows longer exposures,without turning the stars into lines.
mods and info: http://www.weasner.com/etx/menu.html
done this a few years ago with a Philips pcvc840k (ToUcam proII)
LeoLion
Weather Station: Watson -8682 equiv
Operating System: XP SP3

Post by LeoLion »

You may find this Danish website of interest http://stjerneskud.info/fireball/webcam.html . The board camera used can be purchased from RF Concepts in Ireland . His initial lens was sourced from Edmund Optics but I believe he has now moved on to a Sunex unit . A web search will pull that one up. The lenses he is using are , I believe threaded M12 ( the fairly standard webcam lens thread http://www.optics-online.com/dsl_fisheye.asp . Hope this is a help :)
fractonimbus

Post by fractonimbus »

LeoLion wrote:You may find this Danish website of interest ...
Thanks. Very interesting indeed.

DN
Gina

Post by Gina »

This camera looks interesting :- http://www.dinodirect.com/1-3-SONY-B-W- ... y-GBP.html 1/3" Sony Super HAD 0.001 lux CCD sensor. Seems to come with an F1.2 3.6mm FL lens C/CS mount - could be swapped for a fish-eye lens. They have a half price offer on ATM - just 2 days left.

They seem a bit confused about B/W or "color" - a colour camera with a B/W image sensor :lol:
Gina

fractonimbus

Post by fractonimbus »

Does look interesting but its minimum exposure would need hacking. Also says it doesn't like looking at the Sun :-)
Gina

Post by Gina »

fractonimbus wrote:Does look interesting but its minimum exposure would need hacking. Also says it doesn't like looking at the Sun :-)
I don't think any Sony HAD low-lux sensor would like the sun shining directly on it. An image of the sun produces a lot of heat. There is another dome camera, slightly cheaper, which quotes 0.01 lux sensitivity with the same aperture lens. This has the 1/3inch SONY Exview HAD CCD which I think was the one someone modified for long exposure. Link here :- http://www.dinodirect.com/1-3-SONY-Exvi ... P&AFFID=51. I have one of these on order (I hadn't found the Super HAD camera then).
Gina

fractonimbus

Post by fractonimbus »

Gina wrote: I have one of these on order (I hadn't found the Super HAD camera then).
Another gadget freak :-) Someone after my own heart. I think this forum could be dangerous to my bank balance ;-)

I presume you need some sort of frame grabber to acquire the still image (presuming that's what you're after?)

DN
fractonimbus

Post by fractonimbus »

I'm going to find out what sort of camera they're using at the HAT site at Siding Spring. See http://150.203.153.131/~hatuser/wth/cam_d.html The upper image is from a camera that works in colour during the day and B&W at night, but in the near full moon light (now, ~12:00 UT) it looks as bright as day. At times of dark of moon, you can see the brighter stars and the silhouettes of the small telescope enclosures very easily. Obviously has a huge dynamic range.

Really nice animation that shows this at http://www.mso.anu.edu.au/misc/hat/index.php

DN
Gina

Post by Gina »

fractonimbus wrote:Another gadget freak :-) Someone after my own heart. I think this forum could be dangerous to my bank balance ;-)
Could be :lol:
I presume you need some sort of frame grabber to acquire the still image (presuming that's what you're after?)
Yes, you need a TV input device and software. Most will work with XawTV for Unix/Linux systems as well as having their own Windows software.
Gina