Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Wind Vanes

For discussion of DIY weather equipment - sensors, accessories, improvements to existing kit etc
Gina
Weather Station: Nothing working ATM - making one
Operating System: OS X, Linux Mint, Win7 & XP

Re: Wind Vanes

Post by Gina »

Been doing a lot of thinking and experimenting and I think I may have come up with a system that will give a reasonable representation of the in-between directions. Rather than using the damping magnet for the reed switches I'm trying using smaller magnets much nearer the reed switches. With the reeds placed in the dead zone of the big magnet. To obtain the greater magnetic coverage I'm using two magnets rather than one. Two 6mm diameter by 2mm thick magnets placed 2mm apart and orientated with N/S poles facing the same way - they are magnetised with the N pole on one flat face and S on the other. This spreads the magnetic field sideways and gives a wider angular coverage

I'll make a diagram and take photos later when I get a satisfactory result. I'm wasting far too much time drawing diagrams :lol:
Gina

Sorry, no banner - weather station out of action. Hoping to be up and running with a new home-made one soon.
hans
Weather Station: wh1080 /ws4000(alecto)
Operating System: Windows 10 64 bit

Post by hans »

due to the turbulance from my appartement,the biggest problem for me was the overshoot from the vane when the wind suddenly drops.
so to damp it i made some brakes on it,using 2 satay sticks(?).
works pretty well,it also stopped it acting like a propeller
it still registers turbulance,but doesnt go crazy anymore
cheap and simple

the sticks are taped on the tail(which i extended earlier)
the free ends fall between the upper and lower part of the vane

using how far you tape it, you can regulate the pressure the sticks are pressed to it
Last edited by hans on Fri 25 Jul 2014 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gina

Post by Gina »

But less responsive to a light breeze? Does it freeze up in winter?
Gina

Sorry, no banner - weather station out of action. Hoping to be up and running with a new home-made one soon.
hans
Weather Station: wh1080 /ws4000(alecto)
Operating System: Windows 10 64 bit

Post by hans »

a small bit,only slight breezes that hardly spin the anemometer.
first i had only one stick ,but that wasn,t enough,a second worked well.
the resistance is much less then one would think,the actual contact from the sticks on the surfaces is very small.
vane hasn't been frozen up yet,the anemometer has for 2 days
Orion
Weather Station: WH1081 (Maplin)
Operating System: windows 10 64bit

Post by Orion »

looking into what wind vane the met office use
The standard vane is 102mm High narrowest point in the middle is 57mm
and the Light Version is 125mm High but more responsive to light winds than the standard vane
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Orion

Post by Orion »

Here is the one I have just finished
But of course there is no wind ATM
Taken 2 days too make
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

That looks very smart!
Steve
nking
Weather Station: W-8681
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by nking »

Looks very smart! I like the extension so that it misses the anemometer. You’ll have to post your wind vane graph (before and after) so we can admire the result.
Gina

Post by Gina »

Does, doesn't it :)
Gina

Orion

Post by Orion »

Here is a snapshot taken 2 days ago
just the normal mess as my only clear direction is east
So Hopefully this mod will improve things a bit when we get some wind that is
will post a graph for the new one in a few days
goldrush
Weather Station: Fine Offset WH1081

Post by goldrush »

Slightly different topic, but I have noticed a different minor "problem" with the standard setup.
In very light winds of around a Knot or so, if the wind direction is directly E (or W depending upon the set up), i.e directly from abeam the wind vane, such that the anemometer is in it's "shadow" then wind speed can show zero due to the masking effect of the wind vane as they are at the same level.
Easily cured of course by raising or lowering one or the other.
Not managed to prove if the opposite occurs and the anemometer interferes with the wind vane.
Gina

Post by Gina »

I've never noticed this effect but I have seen the vane move when it's been near the anemometer. I could see the back draught move the vain as each cup went past. My new homebuilt wind sensors are one above the other to avoid this sort of thing.
Gina

gatow
Weather Station: PCE-FWS 20
Operating System: Windows 7

Post by gatow »

Hi Gina et al
Recently joined and with new FO kit as a Christmas present was just browsing and came across this thread.

A quick thought on magnetic damping of wind vanes using non-ferrous metals. It struck me that magnets from old, microwave oven magnetrons are cylindrical (toroidal really), are fairly powerful and just might providewhat is needed for damping - haven't tried it (no aluminium saucepan lids).

Hope it helps.

gatow
Gina

Post by Gina »

Hi gatow :) Welcome to the forum and the engrossing world of automatic weather stations :)

I've never taken a microwave oven apart and don't know what the magnet looks like so can't comment on that. Rare earth magnets are available from Amazon at what I think is a reasonable price - that's where I got mine. You need to be careful with them - they are very powerful. You can get a nasty nip if you get a finger (or whatever) between magnet and either another magnet or even something made of steel or iron. The bigger ones can attract a pair of pliers from 4 inches away.
Gina

Gina

Post by Gina »

I think I've at last come up with the final version :lol: I decided my wind vane arm was below standard so took Orion's idea and used some aluminium tube and at the same time making it a bit longer. It's only slightly heavier than the old one, much more rigid and looks much better. I'll take some photos later but I have a diagram prepared now.
1-wire_Wind_Sensors_11-1-26.png
Gina