Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Making use of that old garden light solar cell

For discussion of DIY weather equipment - sensors, accessories, improvements to existing kit etc
BigDave
Weather Station: Fine Offset
Operating System: W2K Server

Re: Making use of that old garden light solar cell

Post by BigDave »

Just my tuppence on this...

I have done some testing with solar cells in the past, and one thing to be careful of is to ensure that you DO fit a diode in the circuit. Failure to do so, will allow current to flow FROM your batteries into the solar cell when the sun isn't shining. You probably won't notice this at first, because when the batteries are new, AND you have good sunny weather, the batteries recover what little charge is lost, but NiCd batteries do suffer with "memory effect" more than somewhat, so with time you'll find that you need to replace the batteries sooner than you might have thought you would need to.

If you want to see if this is happening, you could connect an ammeter between your batteries and your PV cell. During the day, you should see current flowing from the PV to the batteries, but look again at night (briefly covering the cell won't work) and you'll see a negative reading (or positive depending upon which way round you've connected your meter!).

A low power diode will do the job nicely. Shouldn't cost more than a few pence.
nking
Weather Station: W-8681
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by nking »

I should give an update, which is there is no update. I decided that as the kit is still in warranty it wouldn't be wise to start moding the transmitter with solar power. I have everything ready to make the mod in January - not the sunniest time here of course :roll:
sanramonrover
Weather Station: 265NC
Operating System: dreaded Win 7

Post by sanramonrover »

Well, I finally got mine all together and tested.

Here's the unit with solar cells on top of the pastille box, screwed to one of the arms.
Image,

and here is the pastille box opened showing the battery holder for 2 NICADs, and the wire to the transmitter unit.
Image.

Still measuring 2.75 volts at the batteries. As my unit is only 10 degrees off the equator, I left the solar cells horizontal.
enry
Weather Station: wh1081pc
Operating System: seven

Post by enry »

hi...
very beautyfull work.
i have one station weather wh1081pc.
Have you a material list and photo and circuit for realizing?
(screen solar, battery and component)
I hope you can help me.
Enry
Orion
Weather Station: WH1081 (Maplin)
Operating System: windows 10 64bit

Post by Orion »

You should always fit a diode when charging battery's from a solar cell
normally an IN4001
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.