Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

WH1081 spares

For discussion of DIY weather equipment - sensors, accessories, improvements to existing kit etc
chrisdunn
Weather Station: WH3080 Solar
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

WH1081 spares

Post by chrisdunn »

I have had the WH1081 for a couple of years with no problems until a few days ago. I noticed the outside readings were becoming intermittent and today they have stopped completely. I have checked the transmitter and the red light comes on. I have out new batteries in both units. So any ideas or does anyone know where I can get spares?
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: WH1081 spares

Post by steve »

Clas Ohlson sell spares, if you happen to have a shop near you. But I think the Fine Offset hardware experts here might have a few suggestions for you to try first.
Steve
Charlie
Weather Station: 1wire-Cumulus & Fine Offset
Operating System: Windows 7

Post by Charlie »

I'm not sure I fit in the "expert" category, but there are a few things you can try. First the basics that you probably already know.

The order of restoring power is important - the sensor unit needs to be powered first, then the display unit. The display unit needs to be disconnected from USB when you pull the batteries to reset it.

Range is very voltage dependent. If you are close to the edge of the range (recogizable from the fact that you will need to change batteries more often), and your new batteries have been on the shelf for awhile, the system may not work. You will want to carry the display unit out near the sensor unit and reset it there to see if things start working.

I'm sure there will be other suggestions if these don't get you going again...
Gina
Weather Station: Nothing working ATM - making one
Operating System: OS X, Linux Mint, Win7 & XP

Post by Gina »

I don't think this has been mentioned before but I think the transmitter signal may be a bit directional. I haven't checked this, I don't have the test equipment required, but the aerial is in the form of an inverted U fed from one end, rather than a simple whip aerial. Maybe one of our radio experts on here knows the directional pattern of this type of aerial - it is not one I have experience of, so I'm guessing.
Gina

Sorry, no banner - weather station out of action. Hoping to be up and running with a new home-made one soon.
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

I did wonder about cutting the aerial track and dangling a wire from the transmitter to get rid of the folding. I wondered what length would be optimal?
chrisdunn

Post by chrisdunn »

Ok I have tried resetting and with no success. I have both units together and the light flashes etc but still no readings. Looks like a sensor failure so now on the look out for a cheap replacement.
chrisdunn wrote:I have had the WH1081 for a couple of years with no problems until a few days ago. I noticed the outside readings were becoming intermittent and today they have stopped completely. I have checked the transmitter and the red light comes on. I have out new batteries in both units. So any ideas or does anyone know where I can get spares?
Gina
Weather Station: Nothing working ATM - making one
Operating System: OS X, Linux Mint, Win7 & XP

Post by Gina »

mcrossley wrote:I did wonder about cutting the aerial track and dangling a wire from the transmitter to get rid of the folding. I wondered what length would be optimal?
Technically you would be breaking the law if you were to modify either the transmitter or it's aerial. The unit is type approved for use in this country and any modification would void the approval. Not that anyone would know, the range is too short (I didn't say that :lol:) You could improve the receiver aerial, that is not type approved, and you can officially do what you like. The wavelength for a 344MHz is 70cm and as I recall, optimal is half a wavelength. You could even make a higher gain aerial - eg. from a coat hanger.
Gina

Sorry, no banner - weather station out of action. Hoping to be up and running with a new home-made one soon.
Charlie
Weather Station: 1wire-Cumulus & Fine Offset
Operating System: Windows 7

Post by Charlie »

Gina wrote:
mcrossley wrote:I did wonder about cutting the aerial track and dangling a wire from the transmitter to get rid of the folding. I wondered what length would be optimal?
Technically you would be breaking the law if you were to modify either the transmitter or it's aerial. The unit is type approved for use in this country and any modification would void the approval. Not that anyone would know, the range is too short (I didn't say that :lol:) You could improve the receiver aerial, that is not type approved, and you can officially do what you like. The wavelength for a 344MHz is 70cm and as I recall, optimal is half a wavelength. You could even make a higher gain aerial - eg. from a coat hanger.
Stretching the memory here, but because of propagation delays in wire you need to make things about 5% longer (433 MHz wavelength for a wire antenna is 300/433*1.05=0.727 Meters, or 72.7 cm)
The problem is that we don't know the impedance of the driver. It might be designed for 1/4 wave (most common) or 1/2 wave, or even some length more related to impedance than resonant lengths. There's a fair amount of analysis required to properly design a better solution, and the odds of making it worse are pretty good. I might be wrong, but I assume the person that designed this did it this way for solid engineering reasons.
Lynwood
Weather Station: Maplin N96FY
Operating System: Windows 7 Pro

Post by Lynwood »

Having just seen the latest Maplin 1 day offer I notice that Maplin are now stocking spare parts for the N96FY and N96GY:
Code: N77NF – spare rain gauge
Code: N78NF – spare steel mast tube
Code: N80NF – spare transmitter (including built-in temperature and humidity sensor)
Code: N81NF – spare wind direction sensor
Code: N82NF – spare wind speed sensor
GSV3MiaC
Weather Station: Fine Offset (ex Maplin)
Operating System: Win 7, Vista, XP, Android, etc.

Post by GSV3MiaC »

Actually, if you are fast, you can get a whole B-grade unit (N96GY) for about £45, delivered iirc.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/b-grade-usb-tou ... ter-682792

I bought one and it appears to be indistinguishable from the real thing, at half the price..
chrisdunn

Post by chrisdunn »

I ordered the replacement transmitter which failed to talk to the base. Checked with Maplin and was assured it was a 433MHz they have sent a replacement which also does not work so not sure what the problem is. I have 2 base stations and it fails to work on either. Thoughts on a postcard please.
AllyCat
Weather Station: Fine Offset 1080/1 & 3080

Post by AllyCat »

Hi Chris,

There's plenty of discussion about this in the Fine Offset section, for example here.

Cheers, Alan.