Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Hello and WH1090 stuff

For discussion of DIY weather equipment - sensors, accessories, improvements to existing kit etc
Hobbes
Weather Station: WH1090
Operating System: XP SP3

Hello and WH1090 stuff

Post by Hobbes »

Just thought I'd say hi. I've been reading the posts with interest. Just started with a WH1090 and thought I'd share what I've learnt so far.

The instructions that come with the WH1090 are not great to say the least but I got it all connected and installed Cumulus. All the gauges seemed to work in the kitchen. I needed to find somewhere to put it so that it would not be obstructed. The previous house owner had left tv aerial brackets on the chimney so I decided to use that. I got an aluminum tv aerial pole from B&Q, some bolts and set about connecting it to the pole on the WH1090. Took me a while to make sure I had the correct position for drill holes so that the wind gauge was pointing in the correct direction. I also shortened the cables and crimped on new connectors.

Finally I had it ready. Not one for heights and it was a bitterly cold day but eventually I got it up without breaking my neck. 40ft up a ladder while holding a top heavy pole above your head is not clever and pretty scary. Still I won't have to do it again for another 2 years when the batteries need to be changed.

First thing I noticed after a day or two was that the rain gauge wasn't working. Well until the following weekend there was nothing to do except live with it and setup the website and webcam. However a few days later it all stopped communicating. Nothing at all. So out with the ladder and another scary retrieval later I had it back in the kitchen. the connections were all ok. So I pulled the (fresh Duracell) batteries and put them back in. Works again. Hmmmm. Hope that's not a regular thing. OK backup it goes. This time the rain gauge works fine.

Since then I've noticed that when the wind gets up it sets the rain gauge off and the readings are all wrong. Also when the sun hits the temperature gauge the readings are all wrong there also. As noted by others. Pretty poor design all round for those two components. Looks like I'll have to lengthen the cables again and move the rain and temp gauge somewhere else. Damn. It's also worth noting that seagulls will sh*t on anything new and it is horrible stuff to clean off...

One thing I was wondering is if this is the tallest thing in the area do I need to earth it somehow?

steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Hello and WH1090 stuff

Post by steve »

Hi. Yes, you're definitely going to have problems with the rain gauge up there. Something else that might be a problem - is that chimney operational? The heat from it would affect the temperature sensor.
Steve
Hobbes
Weather Station: WH1090
Operating System: XP SP3

Post by Hobbes »

Hi Steve, Chimney is not in use but if I'm going to move the rain gauge I may as well move the temp gauge too. Should the temp gauge be completely in shade? I could put it under the eaves on the North side of the house.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Hobbes wrote:Should the temp gauge be completely in shade?
It would certainly help - the shield isn't very good, as you've seen. Some people have built radiation shields from all kinds of things (e.g. plant pot saucers) to improve things.
Steve
EvilV
Weather Station: Watson W-8261
Operating System: XP

Post by EvilV »

Hobbes wrote:Just thought I'd say hi. I've been reading the posts with interest. Just started with a WH1090 and thought I'd share what I've learnt so far.

I have a Watson weather station and it is a re-badged version of yours I think. I very quickly decided to move the temperature sensor and the rain gauge down to a low, sheltered spot, so I extended the wire from the wind gauges. Mine isn't as high up as yours so I just used an RJ11 extension cable. Everything works well now, though I haven't tried to calibrate my rain gauge or compare it with others. I probably should do when I get the time.

The temperature gauge will work well if kept in the shade and away from buildings. Mine is at the bottom of my garden about twenty metres from any buildings and is mounted about five feet high over earth and plants. No sunlight can fall on the gauge. Other stations quite near me show higher day time temperatures than mine and higher night time ones. Mine is at times almost 2 degrees cooler than one a couple of miles away at night, but it pretty well agrees mostly with a proper weather station at the airport about six miles from here.

Siting the station components properly is really important to decent accuracy.
hills
Weather Station: Fine Offset WH1091
Operating System: Raspbian Buster

Post by hills »

steve wrote:It would certainly help - the shield isn't very good, as you've seen. Some people have built radiation shields from all kinds of things (e.g. plant pot saucers) to improve things.

and picnic bowls and plates!! ;)
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w12/ ... 151189.jpg
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

hills wrote:and picnic bowls and plates!! ;)
And why not, indeed. And if you're up there and fancy a bite to eat, you're :D sorted...
Steve
Pat
Weather Station: WS 2355
Operating System: Windows 7

Post by Pat »

Never have time to make screen - Need someone to start a little business offering them for sale. Need one for a WS2355

pat
apenwith
Weather Station: w8681 BlakeLarsen Sun Recorder
Operating System: Windows 7 SP1

Post by apenwith »

Hi
It looks as though the eaves are still quite high so I'd recommend using a remote battery box as the battery life is probably a bit optimistic. I'm not sure if that particular model has the DCF clock but if so it is worth aligning the flat side of the transmitter to the east assuming you are in the UK (towards Frankfurt) and see also the thread about the positioning of the ferrite DCF aerial.
Regards
Alan