Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Weird

For discussion of DIY weather equipment - sensors, accessories, improvements to existing kit etc
JabbaTHutt
Weather Station: National Geographic 265NC
Operating System: Windows XP

Weird

Post by JabbaTHutt »

I have the national geographic 265NC unit here, I am in the basement. My unit sits here hooked to the USB port 98% of the time and yet I noticed that last night 2 out of the 3 AA cells in it had considerable discharge to them. I haven't even had the unit a month yet, well maybe close.

Now the reason I had the batteries out was this unit has a radio circuit in it to read the time and date info from WWV, I have only notice it do this just once so apart it came, I only found one short antenna wire in it so I striped it back a little and added enough to get it to go all the way around the inside hoping to pick up more signal, not sure if it also uses this to pick up the data from the outside unit or not. After having it powered up for about 20 minutes I looked over at it and noticed the time and date had been set and the time indicator was on for the WWV signal. Well it was still on 45 minutes later when I went to bed. This morning it is now off again. Is this how this thing acts? Or should this be on at all times? I know I am in the basement and that the signal may not be strong enough to get down here but when I first got it I set it on the dining room table for a day and it never did set the time, I had to manually set it.

Now another problem I am having with it I look at the unit and see the wind speed of 4.5MPH then look at cumulus its like almost double. Wind speed in cumulus is say 8.9 and the dial says like 9 or 10, I go to my web page and the bottom real time dial says like 8 or 9. I never seem to be able to see the same thing in any of the computer or webiste displays as is currently on the unit itself. Now if I fire up Easyweather it seems to show exactly what is on the unit itself.

What are others using to protect the connections outside? I only have mine temporarily outside and am planning to move it when the weather outside gets better. I was in getting pads and rotors for the van last week and grabbed some 100% dielectric silicone compound like they use on spark plug boots and stuff and plan to bring it down first chance I get and put this on all the RJ11 jacks. Is this a good idea?

Thanks.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Weird

Post by steve »

JabbaTHutt wrote:Now another problem I am having with it I look at the unit and see the wind speed of 4.5MPH then look at cumulus its like almost double. Wind speed in cumulus is say 8.9 and the dial says like 9 or 10, I go to my web page and the bottom real time dial says like 8 or 9. I never seem to be able to see the same thing in any of the computer or webiste displays as is currently on the unit itself. Now if I fire up Easyweather it seems to show exactly what is on the unit itself.
You're probably comparing different things: http://wiki.sandaysoft.com/a/FAQ#What_d ... tations.3F
Steve
Charlie
Weather Station: 1wire-Cumulus & Fine Offset
Operating System: Windows 7

Post by Charlie »

Boots and things are not necessarily a good idea. The danger is that if water does manage to get in, it can't get out again easily and proceeds to corrode things faster than if the connections were left alone. If you must cover things, leave the most protected end of the covering open to allow evaporation, and try to have it lower so that gravity can help you out. The grease idea should be fine.
JabbaTHutt
Weather Station: National Geographic 265NC
Operating System: Windows XP

Post by JabbaTHutt »

Thanks Steve for the link, now I understand and won't let it bother me anymore.

Charlie I know boots can be a pain and ya they always get wet inside, but was more worried about the grease reacting with the connections.

I guess if worse comes to worse I can always find something better if these mess up after the grease, but hopefully it will protect them.

Thanks again everyone.
Charlie
Weather Station: 1wire-Cumulus & Fine Offset
Operating System: Windows 7

Post by Charlie »

A good quality dielectric grease should be fine. Try a shop that supplies ham radio or satellite installers.
Something like http://www.mgchemicals.com/products/8462.html would be excellent.
Gina
Weather Station: Nothing working ATM - making one
Operating System: OS X, Linux Mint, Win7 & XP

Post by Gina »

Silicone grease has a 1001 uses :) Clean and inert.
Gina

Sorry, no banner - weather station out of action. Hoping to be up and running with a new home-made one soon.
Super-T
Weather Station: wh-1081
Operating System: Weather Laptop - Windows 10 Pro

Post by Super-T »

Gina

Not liked near spray painting or powder coating shops due to preventing the paint sticking :-)