Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Screen

For discussion of DIY weather equipment - sensors, accessories, improvements to existing kit etc
iandrews
Weather Station: Davis Pro2
Operating System: Windows 2012R2

Screen

Post by iandrews »

Due to my location I have my temp sensor (from WH1081) on my balcony (about 14ft * 7 ft) which is 3 stories up. The balcony is south facing, and at the moment the sensor is at the bottom of the pole which has the wind sensors on it, about 15 cm away from the house. Though the sensor is behind the sat dish, and I have put up some card with tin foil on one side and some paper on the other, as soon as the sun comes out my temp rockets up. Today it went from 2 to 10c between about 8 and 10am, then dropped back to between 4 and 6c for the rest of the day.

I already had the idea about using some plastic vents, when I came across this: http://www.laindonweather.co.uk/images2 ... nson1.html

I found some vents on Screwfix and ordered them. I was then thinking about the frame, and how I was going to make it, and then thought about using plastic instead of wood. Searching around the internet I came across a site that does ready cut Perspex, and will even cut the hole out in the middle that the vents cover, so am thinking of using that.

I was also searching around and came across a solar powered fan / vent, and thought that may help in bright sunshine. I then found someone that had already used one: http://www.kenandglen.com/projects_2.asp

So after all that, I have a few questions,

Is all this a bit over the top. The parts without the fan will be about £40, while with the fan will be about £70. That’s just a bit more then I paid for the whole weather station, but then again, though I don’t want accuracy down to 0.1 I would like it to not rocket up to say 30 or 40 when we have some spring / summer sunshine.
What effect will a plastic frame have compared to a wooden one.
Does the bottom (and / or top if no fan) have to be ventilated as well. In the one in the link above the bottom is.

Ian.
Gina
Weather Station: Nothing working ATM - making one
Operating System: OS X, Linux Mint, Win7 & XP

Re: Screen

Post by Gina »

My whole screen and aspirating fan cost under a tenner all up. Most expensive was the paint :lol: Most of the dishes came from a set of 9 picnic dishes from a "pound" shop - set of 9 for £1.49 :)
Gina

Sorry, no banner - weather station out of action. Hoping to be up and running with a new home-made one soon.
iandrews
Weather Station: Davis Pro2
Operating System: Windows 2012R2

Post by iandrews »

After ording all the bits, it took quite a bit of the weekend to assemble but I've finished my screen.

A few photos of it being assebmled can be seen here:

http://www.wanders.myzen.co.uk/screen/

I'm pleased with it, all I need now is some sunny days, and to hope that it works :-)

Ian.
beteljuice
Weather Station: None !
Operating System: W10 - Threadripper 16core, etc

Post by beteljuice »

Very neat job, but why put the old shroud back on ?
......................Imagine, what you will KNOW tomorrow !