Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

How To:- Filter for rain gauge

For discussion of DIY weather equipment - sensors, accessories, improvements to existing kit etc
RCE
Weather Station: WH1080
Operating System: Vista

How To:- Filter for rain gauge

Post by RCE »

I wanted a filter for my rain gauge that was robust, looked neat, and was fine enough without being too fine.

Well think I found it, fairly sturdy, can be bent to shape in the hand, plus can be cut with scissors and cheap to buy.

I used Aluminium Mesh from Halfords (car spares) less than £2 for a sheet ~ 20cm x 25cm it is designed for use for bodywork repairs with P.38 so can be found with all the resin type stuff.

Held in place using a hot glue gun.

The black foam stuff stuck round the rain gauge is sticky back insulation to help my internal heater not loose too much heat.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
====
Alan
daj
Weather Station: WH1081
Operating System: Pi & MX

Re: How To:- Filter for rain gauge

Post by daj »

Looks great. nice neat job too. I uses mosquito netting :?
David
kippfordweather.uk
Cumulus MX & Raspberry Pi
Areco747
Weather Station: WH-1081
Operating System: Windows XP

Post by Areco747 »

This is my experience, with plastic mesh. I now believe that the upper mesh rain can splash out. Regards!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mauricio
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.arecoclima.com.ar
aaardvaark
Weather Station: WH1091
Operating System: Windows 7 Prof 64bit

Post by aaardvaark »

I like what you've done and will do the same since we are surrounded by spiders and their webs. To save embarrassment, can you tell me how the rain gauge cover comes off? I just don't want to lever it off then discover there was a catch that snaps somewhere.

Thanks!
RCE

Post by RCE »

aaardvaark wrote:I like what you've done and will do the same since we are surrounded by spiders and their webs. To save embarrassment, can you tell me how the rain gauge cover comes off? I just don't want to lever it off then discover there was a catch that snaps somewhere.

Thanks!
Latches are underneath just inboard of screw holes
====
Alan
daj
Weather Station: WH1081
Operating System: Pi & MX

Post by daj »

I've just re-used Alan's picture as it is the only one I can find showing the base of the device
David
kippfordweather.uk
Cumulus MX & Raspberry Pi
beteljuice
Weather Station: None !
Operating System: W10 - Threadripper 16core, etc

Post by beteljuice »

So .... once you've glued your mesh in place you can't remove the cover for maintenance ?
......................Imagine, what you will KNOW tomorrow !
RCE

Post by RCE »

beteljuice wrote:So .... once you've glued your mesh in place you can't remove the cover for maintenance ?
Yes you can, the clips are a bit further out than daj has shown. The mesh just clears the top of the clips so they can be pushed in without any problems using a screwdriver or similar. The mesh is not glued on the outside edge.
====
Alan
aaardvaark

Post by aaardvaark »

Thanks daj, much appreciated.

I was interested in Alan's extra cable and found the posts about heaters. For the record, we in Australia do know about snow :D -- what we lack in latitude we make up for in area and a bit of altitude so I'd guess we get more snow for longer than the UK. But only in the mountains. Here in Canberra itself we get snow maybe once every couple of years, but most years there's some on the adjacent hills, often in spring.
werribee_au
Weather Station: WH-1081 (Jaycar Digitech XC0348)
Operating System: XP SP3

Post by werribee_au »

I have only ever pushed the clips to remove the top from outside of the unit without any problem.
See below:
werribee_au
Weather Station: WH-1081 (Jaycar Digitech XC0348)
Operating System: XP SP3

Post by werribee_au »

aaardvaark wrote:what we lack in latitude we make up for in area and a bit of altitude
Is that altitude or attitude aaardvaark :lol: :clap:
aaardvaark

Post by aaardvaark »

We're at 600m here so it must be plain old altitude :?

But don't pay any attention to me, I'm just happy to find these value weather stations that I can justify purchasing for no particular reason!

Hope you've been getting rain in Werribee. I notice you live near one of the great bird locations in Aust -- are you a birder?

Julian