Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

tinkering with a WH1091

For discussion of DIY weather equipment - sensors, accessories, improvements to existing kit etc
hills
Weather Station: Fine Offset WH1091
Operating System: Raspbian Buster

tinkering with a WH1091

Post by hills »

After reading this forum I decided I had to make some modifications to my WH1091

First I moved it up the mast to get away from the heat of the tiles, but this made its rain gauge too unstable so I welded up a rock solid rain gauge mount. I hope it is far out enough from the other sensor so that they don't affect it, but I'd rather put up with that, than with .3mm of rain each time the wind gusts. ;)

Then I was worried about the temp sensor getting too hot so with 3 plastic dessert bowls, one coat hanger, 6 wall plugs and the left over rain gauge mount, I made another enclosure. This seems to have brought the temp down to where I expected it to be:

I'm still tinkering so your thoughts and advice is very welcome!! :D
daj
Weather Station: WH1081
Operating System: Pi & MX

Re: tinkering with a WH1091

Post by daj »

looks good to me. I had a similar problem with the wind causing false recording of rain
David
kippfordweather.uk
Cumulus MX & Raspberry Pi
The hooded Claw
Weather Station: WH1090+C1/C2"ghosting"
Operating System: Windows 7 Pro

Post by The hooded Claw »

Hills, .............Have you "asperated" that Temp gauge cover or just let it do it "Naturally" .............Must do mine (just plannig a "Work around" of siting the fan at the top & "Hanging it" from the same point)

Tricky........... (Still "Formulating a plan for that!!)
hills

Post by hills »

No its just doing naturally, but now you've put the idea in my head, I've seen novelty baseball hats around with a small solar panel and a fan built into the peak. That would make a great ventilation system. I think Ive seem one around here somewhere...
hills

Post by hills »

ok I can now tell you its ventilated by a small solar powered fan thanks to my son's school science project from last year and another piece of my dear wife's picnic setting. ;)

When I took it off to make the modifications the temperature went up by about 2 degrees and now its on the way back down again.
hills

Post by hills »

I was happy with the performance of my "proof of concept" temp sensor cover, so I have rebuilt to be a bit more solid. Here is the end result.

Now the temperature up here in the hills is consistantly a few degrees cooler than the plains and matches a mercury thermometer I have mounted by the side door, which is under the eaves and a car port. All up cost was under $10 (although I did pinch the plastic picnic set from my wife ;) )

Last edited by hills on Sun 03 Jan 2010 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
beteljuice
Weather Station: None !
Operating System: W10 - Threadripper 16core, etc

Post by beteljuice »

What's the lower (picnic) set ?
......................Imagine, what you will KNOW tomorrow !
hills

Post by hills »

beteljuice wrote:What's the lower (picnic) set ?
experiment no.2 ;)

Seeing if it reduces the radiant heat that comes up off the tiles.
TNETWeather

Post by TNETWeather »

Its hard to prevent heat from rising... could you not put the temp sensors down near the ground (typically 6ft over grass)...
hills

Post by hills »

Haha true, but I'm going to give it my best shot! :lol:

I can't really move it too far as it has to be connected to the other sensors and being in a bush fire danger area the wind speed and direction is by far the most important factor to me, so I'd rather have the temp out a bit and the wind sensors up high to be as accurate as possible.
hills

Post by hills »

I've built a new rain catcher 3 times the area of the original and with significantly steeper sides, so hopefully now I will be able to measure in .1mm rather than .3mm. By my calculations the diameter of the catchment area has to be 138.8mm. I'll compare it to the manual rain guage and make any further adjustments through the calibration. At this point it is just .33 times.

Again comments and advice is welcomed! :)

Unfortunately I've given myself another .8mm rain in doing so. I stopped cumulus and disconnected the WH1091 before doing the work. Then before reconnecting it I cleared the rain and then restarted cumulus, but the 2.4mm (.8 after calibration) was still sent through. I then stopped cumulus again and edited the Jan10log.txt but I can't seem to clear the values. What else do I need to edit to clear the rain values?
RCE
Weather Station: WH1080
Operating System: Vista

Post by RCE »

From the year rollover thread...
TNETWeather wrote:Feels like we had -4.62in this past year... Actually we were -7+ inches under normal this year.

Just in case anyone is not sure what to do...

Look in the data directory where your cumulus is installed in.

2 files will need to be modified.

FIRST, shutdown Cumulus normally

Jan10log.txt

Remove the negative rain for the year. For example, mine was -4.62, just changed to 0.00

today.ini

Change the start= to 0.00 in the [rain] Section like

Code: Select all

[Rain]
High=0
HTime=00:00
Start=0
Yesterday=0
After you have completed that, you can restart Cumulus and it should show 0.00 (assuming you are not having rain during the beginning of the new year. If that is the case, you should be able to see how much rain you got and adjust as needed.
====
Alan
hills

Post by hills »

Excellent thanks for that. I don't know what I was doing wrong, I deleted every reference of rain from every file I could find using excel and then saving it back as a csv, but with a .txt extension, reset the station but it continually stated there was 2.5mm of rain.

Anyhow as I only had 4 days of data and most of that was collected while I was messing around with it, I've decided to move the data directory out of the way and start from scratch. I guess there's no better day to do this than 01/01 ;)
hills

Post by hills »

Ok I have to stop reading this forum, you've given me another enhancement. I have installed 3 side stays to keep the sensors at the top stable.

That's it no more enhancements!!
Last edited by hills on Sun 03 Jan 2010 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
gwheelo
Weather Station: WMR-88
Operating System: Windows 8.1

Post by gwheelo »

Here is a rain gauge mod for Oregon - total luck that a found a funnel exactly 4 X the original catch area and with almost straight sides for the first few centimeters. Super glue did the rest.

GW
IMG_0798_low.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.