Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Rainfall last hour

For discussion of DIY weather equipment - sensors, accessories, improvements to existing kit etc
Eoledhv
Weather Station: WMR200 / HP1000SE PRO
Operating System: Windows 7 / Windows 10

Rainfall last hour

Post by Eoledhv »

Hello, everybody,
I'm using Cumulus 1.9.4 build 1099 on Seven.
On the rain display, I have the "rate", but I lost the display of the quantity "last hour", "today", "last 24h", "yesterday", and "this month".
I must have made a bad manipulation on a file, but which bad manipulation?
If anyone can help me, that would be great.
Thank you for your answers.
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Re: Rainfall last hour

Post by mcrossley »

Your best bet would be to roll back to the last backup set before you did your edits
sfws
Weather Station: Chas O, Maplin N96FY, N25FR
Operating System: rPi 3B+ with Buster (full)

Post by sfws »

If you are unsure with Mark's answer, the FAQ section in the wiki might help:
Rolling back after seeing invalid readings: https://cumuluswiki.org/a/FAQ#Cumulus_r ... my_station
General rain problem correction: https://cumuluswiki.org/a/FAQ#My_statio ... _figure.29
Eoledhv

Post by Eoledhv »

Good morning,
I'll be back after a few days. Thank you for your initial response.
I may have misspoken, but it's not a recording error, it's a lack of recording.
Capture.JPG
As you can see on this graph, the "rain rate" is recorded but not the "total rain". So there is a setting that is wrong, but which one...
I went through the settings in the file "cumulus.ini" and I didn't find any difference with the model on the WIKI page (https://cumuluswiki.org/a/Cumulus.ini).
On the February file, column 12, you can see the increment that was made until the value 11444.0 was reached, then this value remains fixed.
Capture1.JPG
What other configuration file can influence this record... I don't know where to look.
Another question: If I install another Cumulus session on the same PC, will I be able to compare the different configuration files without creating another malfunction on the already installed Cumulus? Maybe by unplugging the USB transmission cable so I can't retrieve any recordings?
Thank you for your return, and protect yourself from covid-19. Things are heating up in Europe!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

Does the diags file show anything? If not then there's not a lot more I can do with this on Cumulus 1. I'd suggest you try an install of Cumulus MX in a new folder and see if that records the rain.
sfws

Post by sfws »

It is not a configuration issue, nor will it be resolved by creating another copy of those files (or even swapping to MX), it is something about either your weather station output or your computer operation style.

With Cumulus 1, my guess is that your computer is going to sleep, or some external process is interfering with Cumulus normal operation by locking files that Cumulus needs (this could be an external back up process or a virus scan).

The rain rate is calculated by looking at the rain counter at five minute intervals and scaling up that quantity of rain to what it would be in a hour. That rain counter is read from your weather station, so seeing the changes in rain rate means that Cumulus is able to communicate with your weather station.

The other
Eoledhv wrote: Sun 08 Mar 2020 5:04 pm "last hour", "today", "last 24h", "yesterday", and "this month".
values are calculated in a more complicated fashion based on the "rain counter" that should be output from your weather station, within Cumulus the processes include accessing the dayfile.txt and some items retained in the software's internal memory. If Cumulus is struggling because your computer has shut down its processor by sleep for example, then it cannot calculate these values. If the weather station is not providing an incrementing rain counter, Cumulus has nothing to work from.

The FAQ in the Wiki I referenced before does explain this. Cumulus 1 does have a help screen and read me to stress this issue.
Last edited by sfws on Sat 11 Apr 2020 6:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
water01
Weather Station: Ecowitt HP2551
Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Post by water01 »

Have you checked the USB ports are NOT in power saving mode as if they are they stop working also.

None of the USB ports or Hubs should have the setting in Power Management (tab in the right click Properties window clicked from each USB device in Device Manager) "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" ticked.
David
sfws

Post by sfws »

water01 wrote: Sun 15 Mar 2020 1:48 pm USB ports are NOT in power saving mode
Because it does calculate rain rate, it can communicate with the weather station (I've edited my post to make that clearer), but it is good advice not to have those ports closing for power saving as that would prevent other problems, just not resolve this one.
mcrossley wrote: Sun 15 Mar 2020 11:23 am Does the diags file show anything?
This question from Mark still applies, my guessed solution is based on my experience of using Cumulus 1 for over a decade. To be absolutely sure of your issue look at
the diagnostic files in Cumulus 1 (\Cumulus\Diags\cumulus1.009 etc.) as they record what it is doing and so also show what it is not doing! To obtain even more information in Cumulus 1, in the configuration menu toggle "Debug Log" on and the output goes to \Cumulus\debug.log. If you can not understand what these files contain, zip them up, and either drag that zip to your reply text box or click the attachments tab below the text box and follow the instructions you see.
Eoledhv

Post by Eoledhv »

Good morning, everyone,
Sorry to come back so late, but life is complicated at the moment in France and Europe with the Covid-19 ...
I read your answers well:
- I haven't changed my computer configuration, no sleep mode (it's disabled), no power saving on the USB ports.
- During a power outage, when the power comes back, the computer reboots and Cumulus reboots itself too. This adaptation was made more than a year ago and works well without disturbing Cumulus operation. Tests passed!
- I attach the compressed files as requested. I opened them, but I confess that I don't know where to look... If they can be examined by a Cumulus doctor and diagnose something...
Thanks again for your help.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

The rainfall counter from the station is not incrementing. No idea why, I'd try resetting the station.
Eoledhv

Post by Eoledhv »

Hello, Mark,
That's a good idea :idea: . ! why I didn't think of it earlier. :bash: ..? It works too!
Thank you all for your ideas and help.
Protect yourselves well!