Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Question about Cumulus, Davis Envoy and uploading data

For discussion of DIY weather equipment - sensors, accessories, improvements to existing kit etc
av8r
Weather Station: Davis VP2
Operating System: all of them

Question about Cumulus, Davis Envoy and uploading data

Post by av8r »

I've got a Davis VP2, but would like to add the ability to upload weather data from my station to somewhere like Weather Underground. I don't want to cable the console to my PC so I think what I need is the Davis Envoy (wireless) and some software like Cumulus to achieve this. Is this correct?
I know there are ways to cable the console, but I'd really prefer my console stay wireless. If there are other methods of doing this than using an Envoy, I'm all ears.

Thanks
PaulMy
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus 24-Hour FARS
Operating System: Windows8 and Windows10

Re: Question about Cumulus, Davis Envoy and uploading data

Post by PaulMy »

Unfortunately that is not correct. The Envoy connects to the computer via the datalogger the same as a console connects. The only differences between the Envoy and console is that the envoy has no view-able screen or setup buttons as that would be done through the Weatherlink software, and the lower cost of the Envoy. The wireless part of Envoy and console is the communication from ISS. Like the console, the envoy is also available wired to the ISS.
https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... ANlPKGqKBe

There are third party devices in the works that would do the next step of wireless - i.e. belfryboy http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic= ... #msg331704

Enjoy,
Paul
Davis Vantage Pro2+
C1 www.komokaweather.com/komokaweather-ca
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmx/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmxwll/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www. komokaweather.com/cumulusmx4/index.htm

av8r

Post by av8r »

PaulMy wrote:Unfortunately that is not correct. The Envoy connects to the computer via the datalogger the same as a console connects. The only differences between the Envoy and console is that the envoy has no view-able screen or setup buttons as that would be done through the Weatherlink software, and the lower cost of the Envoy. The wireless part of Envoy and console is the communication from ISS. Like the console, the envoy is also available wired to the ISS.
https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... ANlPKGqKBe

There are third party devices in the works that would do the next step of wireless - i.e. belfryboy http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic= ... #msg331704

Enjoy,
Paul
Paul, it sounds as if it is correct. I think we're saying the same thing in 2 different ways. I don't want to cable my current console, but don't mind cabling the envoy to a PC. I understand the wireless part of the Envoy is the receiver which collects data from the ISS.

To be clear, if I buy an Envoy, I can cable it to my PC and receive data from the ISS. Then, I can run something like Cumulus on the PC to process and show the data graphically as well as upload that data to something like Weather Underground. Correct?
Herbaldew
Weather Station: VP2+
Operating System: Raspberry Pi OS (64-bit)

Post by Herbaldew »

I would consider buying another VP2 console instead of an Envoy. I like having a backup console and I got my second console complete with data logger for $100 on eBay - less than most Envoys go for without a data logger. You may not make out that well but worth checking out. I think a console does everything an Envoy does.

I'm not really "wireless" as I use the AC adapter....I also use a Meteobridge that plugs into the same receptacle as the AC adapter and the data logger cord plugs into it as well, so two wires from the console to the receptacle instead of one. The MB uploads to WU and many other services by itself. I can connect both WeatherLink and Cumulus to the logger wirelessly from my PC (only one at a time). I run CumulusMX on my Raspberry pi full time and it too connects to the console wirelessly. *I have to stop CmX on the rPi before connecting WL or Cumulus from my PC.

I am constantly screwing with my PC and rPi so the Meteobridge is great for me because it keeps uploading data whether anything is accessing the data logger or not.
PaulMy
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus 24-Hour FARS
Operating System: Windows8 and Windows10

Post by PaulMy »

To be clear, if I buy an Envoy, I can cable it to my PC and receive data from the ISS. Then, I can run something like Cumulus on the PC to process and show the data graphically as well as upload that data to something like Weather Underground. Correct?
Yes that is correct, and is what I have, a wireless console in our kitchen and an Envoy connected with Davis USB datalogger to my weather computer, and running Cumulus. Then through Cumulus I upload to Weather Underground and others - CWOP, WOW, PWS, AWEKAS, Weathercloud, Weather Bug, etc., and to my own websites.

Sorry I misunderstood your original question.

Enjoy,
Paul
Davis Vantage Pro2+
C1 www.komokaweather.com/komokaweather-ca
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmx/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmxwll/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www. komokaweather.com/cumulusmx4/index.htm

av8r

Post by av8r »

PaulMy wrote:
Yes that is correct, and is what I have, a wireless console in our kitchen and an Envoy connected with Davis USB datalogger to my weather computer, and running Cumulus. Then through Cumulus I upload to Weather Underground and others - CWOP, WOW, PWS, AWEKAS, Weathercloud, Weather Bug, etc., and to my own websites.

Sorry I misunderstood your original question.

Enjoy,
Paul
No worries. Thank you for the reply.