Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Anemometer

For discussion of DIY weather equipment - sensors, accessories, improvements to existing kit etc
iceberg
Weather Station: VANTAGE VUE METRIC 2015 MODEL
Operating System: windows 10

Anemometer

Post by iceberg »

Hello,

After 2 years of wear and tear my National Geographic 265 NC anemometer is not turning like its suppose too, you really need high wind gusts for it to turn, any ideas on what kind of lubrication i could use if i open it up . I was thinking of using some grease.

Thanks Tony
duke

Re: Anemometer

Post by duke »

Without seeing it it's hard to say, but, usually none. Does it not have sealed bearings? Applying grease will prevent it registering low / light wind speeds.
iceberg

Post by iceberg »

Here is a picture of how it looks inside, i found it in one of the topics in the forum.

Or does anybody have a site i can order the Anemometer piece i tried to find one but with no avail.

Thanks Tony.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
duke

Post by duke »

Just measure that bearing(ID, OD, W), accurately, and order one on-line, should only be a few pence.
Ned
Weather Station: WS2083 (aspirated)
Operating System: Win 10

Post by Ned »

If this is a Fine Offset, the bearing is 5mm ID, 10mm OD and 4mm width.
It should have metal shields protecting the races, but can still dry out. When mine started sticking, a drop or two of very light oil (sewing machine type) was able to seep past the shield and free it up nicely. Still going strong a year later.
If getting a replacement, avoid the rubber seal type as these are not contact free and will add excessive drag.
iceberg

Post by iceberg »

Thank you very much for the information mates.
AllyCat
Weather Station: Fine Offset 1080/1 & 3080
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Post by AllyCat »

Hi,

Yes there are at least three possible "fixes":

Adding/cleaning with a thin oil or WD40 might be "good enough".

The bearing is a "standard" size (as above) but note in the photo above that the plastic core is "melted" over the bearing so it might be difficult to remove.

In UK, complete anemometers are available very cheaply from Maplin (£2.50), but that's not much help in Canada. But note that the "latest" production version is different to the photo. It now has a larger outside gap between rotor and stator which can reduce the risks of locking due to ice formation.

Cheers, Alan.
iceberg

Post by iceberg »

AllyCat wrote:Hi,

The bearing is a "standard" size (as above) but note in the photo above that the plastic core is "melted" over the bearing so it might be difficult to remove.

In UK, complete anemometers are available very cheaply from Maplin (£2.50), but that's not much help in Canada. But note that the "latest" production version is different to the photo. It now has a larger outside gap between rotor and stator which can reduce the risks of locking due to ice formation.

Cheers, Alan.
Thanks Alan
frederick
Weather Station: weathereye WEA22
Operating System: XP

Post by frederick »

AllyCat wrote:Hi,

Cheers, Alan.