Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Home built FARS

For discussion of DIY weather equipment - sensors, accessories, improvements to existing kit etc
Gina
Weather Station: Nothing working ATM - making one
Operating System: OS X, Linux Mint, Win7 & XP

Re: Home built FARS

Post by Gina »

Had a look at the mechanics of changing fans but it wasn't really on so I'm feeding it from a cable. Bell wire, in fact. I see no harm in running the fan continuously at low speed. In fact that would stop any problem of the bearings getting sticky in frosty weather, plus extract any heat generated by the transmitter circuit.

Here's an up-to-date diagram.
Screen-4.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gina

Sorry, no banner - weather station out of action. Hoping to be up and running with a new home-made one soon.
beteljuice
Weather Station: None !
Operating System: W10 - Threadripper 16core, etc

Post by beteljuice »

Looks good to me ;)
......................Imagine, what you will KNOW tomorrow !
malc-c
Weather Station: Maplin N96GY / WH1081
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Post by malc-c »

Gina,

Most PC cooler fans are brushless, which might be the reason it stops at low voltage. Being brushless each overlapping coil is energised in sequence to either attract or repel the core magnet. If the voltage is on the threshold you often see a sort of stepping / cogging effect.

Hope this helps
Regards

Malcolm
Super-T
Weather Station: wh-1081
Operating System: Weather Laptop - Windows 10 Pro

Post by Super-T »

Gina
Is your airflow up?
Gina

Post by Gina »

malc-c wrote:Gina,

Most PC cooler fans are brushless, which might be the reason it stops at low voltage. Being brushless each overlapping coil is energised in sequence to either attract or repel the core magnet. If the voltage is on the threshold you often see a sort of stepping / cogging effect.

Hope this helps
Yes, I've noticed that. And at a lower voltage it makes a high pitched whine. This is probably not harmful but I think I would prefer the fan motor to either be running normally or not at all.
Super-T wrote:Gina
Is your airflow up?
Yes, the fan draws the air upwards.
Gina

Sorry, no banner - weather station out of action. Hoping to be up and running with a new home-made one soon.
malc-c
Weather Station: Maplin N96GY / WH1081
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Post by malc-c »

Gina, that's interesting, this would suggest that the chip on the controller inside the fan uses PWM to control and monitor the speed. Not sure why the frequency increases when the lower voltage is applied?
Regards

Malcolm
mike
Weather Station: Davis lacrosse

Post by mike »

Here is my new fars. It has a cd player motor running off
a garden solar panel. Works great.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RCE
Weather Station: WH1080
Operating System: Vista

Post by RCE »

Just a note to the wise, always make sure any fan you use is moving the air away from the temperature sensor. If you use the fan to blow onto the sensor the heat from the fan motor could influence (even if only slightly) your readings.
====
Alan
Gina

Post by Gina »

Yes, my fan draws air upwards away from the sensor.

This morning we are getting alternate sunny spells and cloud and I can see the result on the recorded temperature. With the fan running at a low speed I'm getting just under one degree Celcius rise in the sunny spells. I've just turned the fan speed up a bit and will see if it makes any difference. Previously I was getting 2 or 3 C rise due to sunshine.
Gina

Gina

Post by Gina »

Now appear to be getting just below 1 degree C rise due to solar radiation so the difference due to increased airflow is marginal. But the difference from no aspiration is significant. There is also a significant improvement in the humidity readings. Previously the readings were almost always 90% and above but now they look much more realistic. Both day and night RH readings have improved by the constant aspiration.
Gina