Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Siezed wind direction sensor on WH1080 - Fixed

For discussion of DIY weather equipment - sensors, accessories, improvements to existing kit etc
Repairman77
Weather Station: WH1080
Operating System: XP pro SP3

Siezed wind direction sensor on WH1080 - Fixed

Post by Repairman77 »

The new bearing arrived and I climbed on roof to repair. Managed to swing the pole supporting the unit to the upside down position so that I could reach it standing on the roof ridge.

Getting the old bearing off was not that easy; Trying to prize it off with a screwdriver each side did not work. The only way I could move it was with a large pair of pliers pulling it in opposite directions until it got to the end of the plastic pin. I was rather reticent to do this but the plastic was fairly supple and bent a bit while doing it. It had seized solid and certainly wasn't worth keeping. Had the worse come to the pin and it had snapped off I could have always made a brass replacement. Luckily it wasn't needed. The new bearing fitted on easily and there was no need to glue it; enough tightness to secure it firmly. Repositioned the supporting pole and came back down. Checked at receiver and it was all working again. :)

One of the scarier moments was discovering a small number of wasps coming in and out of a small crack in the edge of the roof, right next to the tower I was climbing up to get on the roof. I made a deal with them; don't sting me and I'll let you stay. That seemed to work, and as I moved very slowly past them they ignored me. They are in a concealed roof space and to evict them would mean removing a lot of tiles and felt to get anywhere near them, and besides they'll all die in the Winter and I can seal up the hole with expanding foam for next year. :)

Mike.
Retired Radio and Electronics Engineer residing in Cambridgeshire, UK.
ken555
Weather Station: Fine Offset clone (Maplin N96GY)
Operating System: Win 10 x64

Re: Siezed wind direction sensor on WH1080 - Fixed

Post by ken555 »

Repairman77 wrote:The new bearing arrived Mike.
Do you have the bearing dimensions? Need to order a couple here.
Repairman77
Weather Station: WH1080
Operating System: XP pro SP3

Re: Siezed wind direction sensor on WH1080 - Fixed

Post by Repairman77 »

Hi Ken, the dimensions are... outer 10mm, inner 5mm and 4mm thick.

Such as...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MINATURE-MODE ... 2c62d14501

Plenty on ebay and you may as well get some extra as both the wind sensors use the same size. I wouldn't go for the rubber seal type as they may add too much friction. Mine was up there years before it needed changing.

Hope that helps.

Mike.
Retired Radio and Electronics Engineer residing in Cambridgeshire, UK.