Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.5 (build 3282) - 23 February 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

WeatherDuino Pro2 - Build yourself a full Weather Station

For discussion of DIY weather equipment - sensors, accessories, improvements to existing kit etc
Werk_AG
Weather Station: WeatherDuino 4Pro
Operating System: Windows 7

WeatherDuino Pro2 - Build yourself a full Weather Station

Post by Werk_AG »

After more than a year of development, I think is time to share with others the WeatherDuino Pro2 project.

The goal of the WeatherDuino Pro2 project is allowing you to build a full weather station.

The WeatherDuino Pro2 is developed with flexibility in mind.
It's designed to be able to use sensors and measuring instruments widely available in the market, such as rain gauges and anemometers used in popular Fine Offset weather stations, (commonly known as PCE 20, Watson, Maplin and other brands).

Additionally, if you have a RF rain gauge from an old or unused Auriol H13726 or Ventus W155 Weather Station you can use it with WeatherDuino Pro2, the RX unit will be able to receive data from it.

Supports the use of ordinary DHT22 temperature and humidity sensors, but also the most accurate SHT2x or SHT1x from Sensirion.

Supports custum made Solar Radiation and UV Sensors.

It's compatible with Cumulus by emulating a Davis VP, or via easyweather.dat

To see more info and constant updates, please visit the support pages of this project at: http://www.meteocercal.info/forum/Forum ... Duino-Pro2

Note: Because I'm just starting to share this project, available info is not yet complete.
Last edited by Werk_AG on Thu 19 May 2016 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The freedom to choose the weather instruments you want
marfanuk
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Raspbian on the Raspberry Pi 2

Re: WeatherDuino Pro2 - Build yourself a full Weather Statio

Post by marfanuk »

Looks interesting. I might give it a try at some point. ;)
https://www.nantwich-weather.uk - Meteobridge

Darren
Werk_AG

Post by Werk_AG »

Thank you. Any question, please use our support forum.
Last edited by Werk_AG on Sun 10 Aug 2014 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Werk_AG

Post by Werk_AG »

The first public release of WeatherDuino Pro2 software is now available to download.

Thank you for reading.
Last edited by Werk_AG on Thu 19 May 2016 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tumutbound
Weather Station: WH1081
Operating System: Linux, Raspberry Pi (Wheezy)

Post by tumutbound »

If it didn't require a login, I might have downloaded a copy.
My weather
CumulusMX (3036)
Raspberry Pi: Wheezy
FineOffset WH1081
Werk_AG

Post by Werk_AG »

My apologies to you for that little inconvenience. Perhaps sometime latter I will provide a download link.
uncle_bob
Weather Station: WeatherDuino Pro2
Operating System: 2008

Post by uncle_bob »

Cool Werk! My latest weather station has issues and I was just thinking the other day that I may look into building one, as I'm sick to death of all the problems the La Crosse and Fine Offset have.

I'd love to get a Davis, but the cost is prohibitive in the chief of finances eyes.
Interested in building your own Weather Station? Maybe check out the WeatherDuino Pro Project Here
Conder, Canberra Weather
Werk_AG

Post by Werk_AG »

Building an WeatherDuino Pro2 system is really easy, cheap and fun. You can even reuse some of your Fine Offset equipment, like anemoter, vane and rain gauge.

Are they like the ones in image below?

If at any time you decide to build an WeatherDuino Pro2 system count on me to help.
uncle_bob

Post by uncle_bob »

Werk_AG wrote:
Are they like the ones in image below?
Exactly, but unfortunately the cups have completely disappeared from my anemometer . I think a bird flew off with it.

Can you use La Crosse parts?
Werk_AG wrote:
If at any time you decide to build an WeatherDuino Pro2 system count on me to help.
Werk, I think I'm going to take you up on that offer as I don't know where to start :)
Interested in building your own Weather Station? Maybe check out the WeatherDuino Pro Project Here
Conder, Canberra Weather
Werk_AG

Post by Werk_AG »

At least you have the vane and rain gauge to start...

Theoretically, you can use any anemometer or rain gauge that uses a reed switch, but you have to know its specifications: Wind factor, rain factor.
I do not know the characteristics of La Crosse parts, so it will be very difficult for me to help you with those parts.

If the bird will not return your anemometer cups :D, a new one from Fine Offset not cost you more than 15 Euros, I think!
uncle_bob

Post by uncle_bob »

Deleted by UB
Last edited by uncle_bob on Tue 27 Mar 2018 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Conder, Canberra Weather
AllyCat
Weather Station: Fine Offset 1080/1 & 3080
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Post by AllyCat »

Hi,
Werk_AG wrote:If the bird will not return your anemometer cups :D, a new one from Fine Offset not cost you more than 15 Euros, I think!
Yes, at least in the UK, the replacement anemometers are so cheap (£2.50) that one doesn't even consider repairing them (except perhaps the reed switch at 50p).

However, the cups do appear to be exactly the same size as a half ping-pong (table tennis) ball*, so you could try these if spares are not easily/cheaply available. But I guess they would need plenty of coats of "paint" to survive long-term daylight (particularly Australian). *I wonder if FO were "lazy" when building their prototypes. ;)

Alternatively, note that the FO anemometer generates two pulses per revolution (but appears to have an unusually low "anemometer factor"), if you are substituting a La Crosse part.

Cheers, Alan.
Werk_AG

Post by Werk_AG »

AllyCat wrote:Alternatively, note that the FO anemometer generates two pulses per revolution (but appears to have an unusually low "anemometer factor"), if you are substituting a La Crosse part.
Some time ago I read a discussion on this matter. Not intend to open a new discussion about this, and I also do not know if the FO has more than one type of anemometer. I am convinced that all the units I have used, produce one pulse per revolution.

According to this datasheet, the wind factor is 1.492 MPH.

The WeatherDuino Pro2 wind readings are based on the routines published here.
By how these routines work, no matter if the anemometer produces one or two pulses per revolution, the only thing you need to know is the value of the wind factor (wind speed per each pulse per second) for a given anemometer.
AllyCat
Weather Station: Fine Offset 1080/1 & 3080
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Post by AllyCat »

Hi,

AFAIK the Fine Offset Anemometers are all the same: They use a magnetic reed switch which closes when the magnet passes either end of the reed switch. There's a picture about half way down the page (2) of this thread.

But don't take my word for it, see Gina's post here.

Yes, the data sheet is correct, 1 pulse for 1.5 mph (26.4 inches per second) or 2.4 km/hr (66.7 cm/sec). However, the circumference is about 50 cms (radius of arms 8 cms) which (for one pulse / rev.) would imply an anemometer factor of 1.33. However it is normally between 2 and 3+, see Wikipedia Cup Anemometers , so a pulse must occur each half turn.:

"When Robinson first designed his anemometer, he asserted that the cups moved one-third of the speed of the wind, unaffected by the cup size or arm length. This was apparently confirmed by some early independent experiments, but it was incorrect. Instead, the ratio of the speed of the wind and that of the cups, the anemometer factor, depends on the dimensions of the cups and arms, and may have a value between two and a little over three..."

BTW, I've modified a few FO anemometers so that the two pulses are generated "asymmetrically". Then, if a small "tab" is attached to one of the cups, it's possible to determine also the direction of the wind without an additional "vane" (the tab speeds the rotation when moving "downwind" and slows in a "headwind") ! ;)

Cheers, Alan.
Werk_AG

Post by Werk_AG »

I've replaced several broken reed switch on these anemometers, and the design and position of the magnet always led me to think it would just be a pulse per turn, but it is not. You are absolutely right ! They produce TWO pulses per turn.
A simple test with a multimeter was enough to verify this. :bash:
BTW, I've modified a few FO anemometers so that the two pulses are generated "asymmetrically". Then, if a small "tab" is attached to one of the cups, it's possible to determine also the direction of the wind without an additional "vane" (the tab speeds the rotation when moving "downwind" and slows in a "headwind") ! ;)
Interesting! Can you say more about this?

Cheers, Werk_AG