Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

STEVENSON SCREENS - CHEAP OPTION

For discussion of DIY weather equipment - sensors, accessories, improvements to existing kit etc
westonweather
Weather Station: WMR88
Operating System: Windows 7

Re: STEVENSON SCREENS - CHEAP OPTION

Post by westonweather »

They are nice, but unfortunately cost as much as the boxes cost :shock:
Repairman77
Weather Station: WH1080
Operating System: XP pro SP3

Post by Repairman77 »

Thanks tjaliwalpa; I didn't know they existed.

Yes there are some available over here and from China. The round ones seem to be around £30-£40 with some more expensive ones.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw= ... n&_sacat=0

I'm not too worried about aspirating mine as it will only contain some remote transmitters for indoor reading and fish pond temperature; not my main sensors that give the recorded results.

Mike.
Retired Radio and Electronics Engineer residing in Cambridgeshire, UK.
Repairman77

Post by Repairman77 »

Just an update on progress and a few tips.

I removed the slat control bars as they are obviously going to get in the way and are superfluous once you've fixed the slats.
However I think they are best removed before varnishing as it would make it easier to varnish the slats. A heavy pair of side-cutters is needed to snip through the ring eyelets. The back panel is the most awkward to snip; I found the best way was to snip the rings from the bar first and then the slat ends.

I'd recommend Yacht varnish over the normal Polyurethane types as it specially made for outside use where there's likely to be a lot of water. There are several grades but I think the 'Classic' one will suffice. Not cheap at a tenner a small tin but there's plenty in the small tin for the project and it'll come in for something else in the future. Remember when you finished the project to store the tin upside down, otherwise you get a thick skin on top. Also remember that this varnish can take up to 24 hours to dry between coats.

You can move the slats to the correct position and put a small blob of Bostik on each end at the top to keep them in place. I intend using external silicon sealant on the edges of them when the varnish is hardened.

Hope that helps those doing the project.

Mike.
westonweather

Post by westonweather »

Thanks for the update Mike.

I am thinking along similar lines as you, but was going to use decorators caulk to fix the slats in position before applying a white spray paint, then the varnish on top. Noted about ripping the innards out. That makes perfect sense to me. Not needed, better off out of the way.

I have been outside enjoying the Sun today as the cables arrived that I needed to run down the garden to carry the signals and to allow me to raise the height of the Anemometer.

Update of my antics HERE.
Last edited by westonweather on Fri 21 Feb 2014 7:47 am, edited 3 times in total.
Repairman77

Post by Repairman77 »

Not sure about decorators caulk Twitter; I have used it for various things in the past but not found it that stable; different makes may vary though. Think translucent or white sealant (if you're going to spray it) would be better. Just about to do mine.

OK on heightening the anemometer; I think ideally they should be 10M above the ground and well clear of any buildings but not that easy for us amateurs.

Mike.
westonweather

Post by westonweather »

Mine's about 3 foot above the apex of the house now. I wouldn't get away with any more without upsetting the locals! I already have one that makes comments about "the wind turbine spinning thing". :bash: No doubt the extra couple of foot of height will give him sleepless nights for the next week :lol:

Noted about the caulk, I will see what I have spare in the garage, but pretty sure there is a tube of white silicon spare too.
Repairman77

Post by Repairman77 »

LOL about you're neighbour; how would he cope with this lot?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
prodata
Weather Station: VP2
Operating System: Windows - all flavours

Post by prodata »

I can really see the appeal of such home-built kit, but those louvres look very open too me - they're really not going to provide much protection at lower sun angles (or rain protection for humidity sensors). There really is a reason that double louvres (or some equivalent geometric arrangement) are used in good commercial screens.
John Dann
Prodata Weather Systems
Littleport, East Cambs, UK
http://www.weatherstations.co.uk
Repairman77

Post by Repairman77 »

Hi John; the louvres are adjustable between fully open (horizontal) and almost fully closed; I've adjusted mine with around a 5mm gap, similar to my last one..

I'd certainly like a professional screen, but for amateur use these home made projects are quite sufficient. My last one made from hardwood louvred panels lasted about two decades and doing several tests with it found it to be perfectly adequate for amateur use.

By the way Twitter; I have just finished sealing the ends of the vents with sealant. You only need to do it from the inside and you can just get the sealant gun inside the top to do all the inside. I smoothed any surplus away from the uprights with a finger and it looks quite neat inside and out. I don't think I can stress to much how important it is to get a couple of coats of yacht varnish into every nook and crannie to keep out the weather; I've given mine two thick coats.

Mike.
westonweather

Post by westonweather »

Mark, my neighbour would be lassoing that lot down ;)
I have the varnish at hand and ready and would rather delay getting the screen up & fitted if it means getting it sealed up well from the elements.

John, I'm not looking for a professional, industry standard weather station, I'm looking to improve on the design of the cheap FineWeather kit. Let's face it, ANYTHING is an improvement on a piece of GREY plastic which heats in the Sun!
duke

Post by duke »

LOL about you're neighbour; how would he cope with this lot?
@ Mike, whose make of lattice mast is that? Looks like what I have been looking for for sometime now.
Repairman77

Post by Repairman77 »

I've no idea who made the mast Duke; I've had it for about 35 years. Sorry, never seen any make stamped on it.
Mike.
Repairman77

Post by Repairman77 »

At last; done and bolted to the concrete post. No major problems.

Mike.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
westonweather

Post by westonweather »

Fantastic. Great to see it in place and doing it's job already.

Mine only arrived this afternoon so you are a couple of steps ahead of me, however, I have made progress.

Hoping to get mine out early next week. I want the paint / varnish completely dry before I put it out in the elements!
Last edited by westonweather on Fri 21 Feb 2014 7:48 am, edited 3 times in total.
westonweather

Post by westonweather »

Just a quick update today.

Painted the box and attached the Solar Panel to the roof.

Full update with pics here.
Last edited by westonweather on Fri 21 Feb 2014 7:49 am, edited 3 times in total.