Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Solar radiation sensor for La Crosse

For discussion of DIY weather equipment - sensors, accessories, improvements to existing kit etc
AntSeiderer
Weather Station: La Crosse 2357
Operating System: RPi Zero - Raspberry Pi OS

Solar radiation sensor for La Crosse

Post by AntSeiderer »

I'm interested in building a solar radiation sensor and interfacing it with my La Crosse WS2357 station. I'm not sure if this is even possible but if it is, how would I arrange to merge the signal from the new sensor with all the other data from my base station?

BTW, I have thrown out the serial/USB converter and have my station directly connected to a serial port on my PC.

Any ideas on building the sensor and processing its signal would also be appreciated.

Many thanks.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Solar radiation sensor for La Crosse

Post by steve »

From the Cumulus point of view: there's no provision for solar data in the La Crosse data protocol, so even if you could somehow interface a solar sensor to your station (which I doubt) there's no way that Cumulus could read the values.

I think your best approach would be a stand-alone sensor not interfaced to your station. It's possible that at some point I will add the ability to read solar values from a file on the PC, a few others have asked for this. You would have to arrange somehow for this file to be created and updated.
Steve
AntSeiderer
Weather Station: La Crosse 2357
Operating System: RPi Zero - Raspberry Pi OS

Post by AntSeiderer »

Thanks for that reply Steve, although not exactly the news I was hoping for.

I'm going to take your advice and try to build a stand-alone sensor which interfaces independently to my PC and creates a data file. Any advice from anyone who has done something similar would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Ant
GraemeT
Weather Station: La Crosse WS-2355 & WS-2306
Operating System: Windoze 7, 10, 11

Post by GraemeT »

Ant,
Steve's suggestion re- standalone sensors is probably your best bet.

If you can read data from the hardware and store it in a file there's nothing to stop you using js or php to process that data and integrate it in your webpages.
Cheers,
Graeme.
geoffw
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by geoffw »

steve wrote:................................. It's possible that at some point I will add the ability to read solar values from a file on the PC, a few others have asked for this. You would have to arrange somehow for this file to be created and updated.
I like the sound of that Steve!
Geoff