Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Design wind speed sensor's algorith

For discussion of DIY weather equipment - sensors, accessories, improvements to existing kit etc
vagyver
Weather Station: DIY
Operating System: XP

Design wind speed sensor's algorith

Post by vagyver »

Hello, i am tring to understand if my DIY wind sensor is ok concerning number of samples, times etc

The wind direction sensor makes a measurement every 2 secs.
When it gets 5 measurements (it will take 10 secs to complete) then it does a trigonometry calculation and makes the trigonometry average.

During the same 10 secs (the whole 10 secs), a microcontroller interrupt is used to count the rotations of wind speed sensor. After the 10 secs, i just make a simple averaging for the wind speed. I don't export wind gust.
And after the 10 secs and the above calculation is sends the values (with the rest values) to the indoor units.

So, is something that i haven't take into account here? Is my labove ogic correct?
Does someone know what are the professional weather stations's calculations?
What should i do with wind direction when there is zero wind speed (Beaufort=0)? (in this case the wind direction sensor is still at the last position). Should i display none or the current wind direction?