Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX release 3.6.10 (build 3086) - 24 June 2020 (please see important announcement regarding releases since 3.5.0)
Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of the NOAA report and Snow Index drop-down menus to 2030)

See the Wiki to download the software or click on the Downloads link in the Forum Banner.

Design wind speed sensor's algorith

For discussion of DIY weather equipment - sensors, accessories, improvements to existing kit etc
vagyver
Weather Station: DIY
Operating System: XP

Design wind speed sensor's algorith

Post by vagyver »

Hello, i am tring to understand if my DIY wind sensor is ok concerning number of samples, times etc

The wind direction sensor makes a measurement every 2 secs.
When it gets 5 measurements (it will take 10 secs to complete) then it does a trigonometry calculation and makes the trigonometry average.

During the same 10 secs (the whole 10 secs), a microcontroller interrupt is used to count the rotations of wind speed sensor. After the 10 secs, i just make a simple averaging for the wind speed. I don't export wind gust.
And after the 10 secs and the above calculation is sends the values (with the rest values) to the indoor units.

So, is something that i haven't take into account here? Is my labove ogic correct?
Does someone know what are the professional weather stations's calculations?
What should i do with wind direction when there is zero wind speed (Beaufort=0)? (in this case the wind direction sensor is still at the last position). Should i display none or the current wind direction?