Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

WH1081 USB connection fault has developed

For discussion of DIY weather equipment - sensors, accessories, improvements to existing kit etc
maaw
Weather Station: Fine Offset WH-1081
Operating System: OpenWRT BB

Re: WH1081 USB connection fault has developed

Post by maaw »

Tried the diode method to no avail, I have my 1081 plugged to a TP-Link 1043nd. Too lazy to measure final voltage. Anyway, I have a passive USB hub in the middle, so my guess is that voltage now is around 4 volt.
After 2 days the failure repeated. Now I'm trying a (better?) thicker (but shorter) cable that came with a hdd external enclosure, will keep you updated...
Man these stations are nothing but trouble, huh?!

PS: The "Latest Cumulus release" text is soooooo annoying, it keeps scrolling the whole page half a cm down and up when on mobile!
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

maaw wrote:PS: The "Latest Cumulus release" text is soooooo annoying, it keeps scrolling the whole page half a cm down and up when on mobile!
It's rather pointless too, these days, as it only has one news item. I'll change it.
Steve
maaw
Weather Station: Fine Offset WH-1081
Operating System: OpenWRT BB

Post by maaw »

steve wrote:It's rather pointless too, these days, as it only has one news item. I'll change it.
Thank you steve, it's nice to know that everyone's opinions are taken into account.

Sadly, things weren't so great with the WS, after like 14hs of every minute updates, the lock up happened again. I'm getting the 5m lead someone suggested above, and if that doesn't make it, then I don't know what else to do.
The shop where I bought it said it's still on warranty and they need to check it before replacing it, but they require me to send the whole station, so I'd need to dismantle the whole thing...
I'm very frustrated, I didn't expect professional results from such a "cheap" device (not so cheap here in Argentina but it's the cheapest with USB connection), but at least I hoped for some stability... Seems it's not going to be the case.
tassyjim
Weather Station: Davis clone
Operating System: RPi

Post by tassyjim »

I had my first lockup after my WH1081 was running for 7 weeks.
The main problem was not knowing it had happened.

The lockup occurred just as I went to bed and it was flat line charts that greeted me next morning.

My system runs unattended so I prefer to fix things by remote control.
I can do the hardware and software to automate the recovery of the WH1081 OK and I think I can monitor the realtime.txt file to look for a lot of values that haven't changed for a number of readings.

Is there a better/easier way to notice the lockup?

I assume (dangerous thing to do) that simply 'killing' Cumulus will not play nice with the log files.
Is there a safe way to close Cumulus from another application?

Does the problem still occur with Linux systems and Cumulus MX?

Thanks,
Jim
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

tassyjim wrote:Is there a better/easier way to notice the lockup?
I would have thought that Cumulus would detect 'data stopped', so you could use the 'restart if data stopped' setting, so it would restart and then presumably not be able to reconnect, so it would stop logging. It would still be up to you to notice that this had happened, but you could do it simply by checking that the files were not being updated.
I assume (dangerous thing to do) that simply 'killing' Cumulus will not play nice with the log files.
Is there a safe way to close Cumulus from another application?
Any application which can send a 'close' message would close it cleanly, as long as you don't have 'confirm close' set.
Does the problem still occur with Linux systems and Cumulus MX?
Presumably so, as the fault is with the console and not Cumulus.

Are you using the 'Synchronise Fine Offset Reads' setting? That seems to make the problem happen significantly less often.
Steve
tassyjim
Weather Station: Davis clone
Operating System: RPi

Post by tassyjim »

Thanks for the reply Steve,
steve wrote:I would have thought that Cumulus would detect 'data stopped', so you could use the 'restart if data stopped' setting, so it would restart and then presumably not be able to reconnect, so it would stop logging.
I will do some experimenting and see what method I can handle the easiest.
steve wrote:Any application which can send a 'close' message would close it cleanly, as long as you don't have 'confirm close' set.
I have tried sending ALT-F4 to the main window under various conditions and, so far, it looks like it closes cleanly. Still more testing to do.
steve wrote:Are you using the 'Synchronise Fine Offset Reads' setting?
Yes. One lockup in 7 weeks is not too bad but my own homebrew system is up to 480 days without a need to reboot.

I will let you know when I have a working reset system. I like a challenge but I would prefer hardware that worked properly without needing a kick all the time.

Jim
thekow
Weather Station: w1080
Operating System: Virtualbox XP environment

Post by thekow »

There could be some audrino application to do this.
Monitor cumulus closing. Get it to send a reboot to the console and restart it.