Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Spider Warfare 101: Fine Offset Edition

For discussion of DIY weather equipment - sensors, accessories, improvements to existing kit etc
Buford T. Justice
Weather Station: Ecowitt GW1002
Operating System: Windows 11 Pro

Spider Warfare 101: Fine Offset Edition

Post by Buford T. Justice »

This has been my first Spring with my Fine Offset weather station: the Weatherwise WH-2080-PC. We had a really good rainfall here about a month or so ago starting around 10 PM. I looked at my station close to midnight and it told me it wasn't raining. TERRIFIC! SPIDER WEBS! So I went outside in the rain at midnight, climbed up on the roof thanks to my mad ninja skills, took the batteries out of the sensor, and took apart and cleaned the rain gauge. Satisfied, I put the rain gauge back together and put in a new set of batteries while I was up there. I didn't see any lights on in the neighbors' houses so I must have been quiet enough.

Today it started to rain while I was asleep. This time there was only 0.01" of rain reported. Knowing it rained at least 0.10", I knew it was spider-cleaning time again. Instead of just cleaning it out, I decided to remove it and bring it inside. As soon as I pulled the cover off, it was full of cob webs and a damn wolf spider crawled out. I caught it with a paper towel, cussed at it, then executed it.

I had a ripped window screen out in the garage so I decided to cut pieces out of it and hot glue them to the bottom drain holes and also hot glue shut any unnecessarily open holes on the bottom of the rain gauge as well.

I went to Walmart and bought this which is in the Hobby Section (where Grannies buy their yarn):

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ad-tech-Hi-Te ... n/17404366

It didn't come with any glue sticks so I bought a pack of these:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ad-tech-Multi ... t/17404365

After the glue gun warmed up which took about 10 minutes or so, I got started. The glue is fairly clear instead of that nasty, chalky white stuff. You just have to take your time with it and do a good job. It doesn't matter what the gluing looks like just as long as there is a good seal and it doesn't obstruct anything.

I decided to not only screen the drain holes but also across the screw holes I don't use to keep spiders from getting in through the clips for the cover. I glued through the screen and around the edges double-checking to make sure there were no gaps at all between the screen and the bottom of the rain gauge. Other than the drain holes for the teeter-tooter buckets, I plugged all of the other holes carefully with glue.

Since I had to clean the cob webs out, I pulled the bottom pin and removed the teeter-tooter and gave it a good cleaning. When you put it back in, make sure the little magnet on it is pointed towards the rain sensor box. You should see a discoloration on the side where the magnet has rocked back and forth.

I hope this ends my war with spiders :bash:

Attached is a picture of the bottom of the rain gauge after I was done. You may notice little streamers of glue, but I removed those after I took the picture.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
uncle_bob
Weather Station: WeatherDuino Pro2
Operating System: 2008

Re: Spider Warfare 101: Fine Offset Edition

Post by uncle_bob »

Good stuff. Let us know how it works out.
I've only had trouble with my anemometer and spiders, if it's calm long enough the little bugger web it up and no more wind speeds :/
Interested in building your own Weather Station? Maybe check out the WeatherDuino Pro Project Here
Conder, Canberra Weather
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

I believe that others have done this modification, with a successful outcome, so hopefully you'll be OK now. I have to say that I don't like the sound of a "Wolf spider"!
Steve
Buford T. Justice

It was a smaller wolf spider at a little over 0.5". If it got bigger, it might have started playing on the teeter-tooter and I would have had some interesting rain fall rates and totals until it hit its teenage years and thought it was too cool to play on a teeter-tooter. Some of them can get as big as 2" or a little more around here.
NO0C
Weather Station: Weatherwise WS-2080
Operating System: Windows XP

Post by NO0C »

And what did you do to assure the critters can't enter the portals where the rain drops fall into the tipping buckets?
Tim

"That makes sense to me, doesn't it?" - DUBYA
Buford T. Justice

NO0C wrote:And what did you do to assure the critters can't enter the portals where the rain drops fall into the tipping buckets?
The top hole already has a thing in it that divides it into 4 smaller holes. I doubt they could get in that way. Not impossible, but doubtful. The bottom holes are much bigger.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Buford T. Justice on Thu 20 Jun 2013 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Buford T. Justice

Oh crap! I just noticed that the two screw holes on the base of the rain gauge are still open. They are covered with screens at the bottom, but not the top. I will use some small plastic plugs to prevent spiders from crawling into them. I don't want to hot glue those in case I ever need them.
Buford T. Justice

I went to Home Depot and found these:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/3-16-in-Nylo ... /202209555 (The picture is not right. These are longer and fit the hole and shaft well.)

You need to remove your rain gauge to get these in as they fit tight and you have to be careful pushing them in, but these do work. Hopefully my rain gauge is now spider-proof!
johnh67
Weather Station: 3081
Operating System: Win 7

Post by johnh67 »

Thanks for this post, I just did the same mod to my rain bucket before any spiders could get in there.