Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Frozen or Freezing anamometer

Sunrise Pilot
Weather Station: La Crosse WS-2308
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Frozen or Freezing anamometer

Post by Sunrise Pilot »

My anemometer seems to have frozen LITERALLY. The vane seems to be rotating OK, but the propeller for the anemometer is not showing any wind. I just popped out to check with a live Mark-1 eyeball and cutaneous wind sensor and I have wind coming out of the west (ranging wsw to wnw) that is showing correctly on the display, but registering as L&V (0mph and N) in Cumulus.

Is there a way to keep the anemometer/vane from freezing?

Cheers
Doug
Let slip the bonds of Mother Earth and drift o'er the land as a bubble wafting on a gentle breeze.
Suffolk Fishing weather
Cheers
Doug
peterh
Weather Station: Alecto WS-5000 rebadged FO 3081
Operating System: Windows server 2008R2

Re: Frozen or Freezing anamometer

Post by peterh »

some folks have had good results with the liberal application of WD40.
An opinion should be the result of a thought process, not a substitution.
http://www.dnl-core.net/CothenWeather/
AndyH
Weather Station: La Crosse 2350
Operating System: Windows 8

Post by AndyH »

I have had the same issues in the past and have tried tipping a little warm water on to it which works. Always run the risk that it freezes again though! Didn't happen this winter despite some cold nights. Will try the WD40 method next time it happens.
chrisc85
Weather Station: Maplin
Operating System: Win7

Post by chrisc85 »

I used some "dry lube" from my mountain biking days. Its a teflon based lube that I put in the bearings for the anometer.
Before I did this I had it freeze many times and sometimes for days on end. If it was a bit misty and the temperature was below freezing the anometer would certainly freeze.

It has since been down to -7c and it hasn't stuck yet.

Something like this:
http://www.tweekscycles.com/Product.do? ... MgodXVcAcw
Sunrise Pilot
Weather Station: La Crosse WS-2308
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Post by Sunrise Pilot »

AndyH wrote:I have had the same issues in the past and have tried tipping a little warm water on to it which works. Always run the risk that it freezes again though! Didn't happen this winter despite some cold nights. Will try the WD40 method next time it happens.
chrisc85 wrote:I used some "dry lube" from my mountain biking days. Its a teflon based lube that I put in the bearings for the anometer.
Before I did this I had it freeze many times and sometimes for days on end. If it was a bit misty and the temperature was below freezing the anometer would certainly freeze.

It has since been down to -7c and it hasn't stuck yet.

Something like this:
http://www.tweekscycles.com/Product.do? ... MgodXVcAcw
Me gear is 20 feet up a pole on the roof of the house. I'll get up there later this spring and drop the pole and try the dry lube. I always worried about grit being blown around getting into wd-40 and gumming things up.

Cheers
Doug
Let slip the bonds of Mother Earth and drift o'er the land as a bubble wafting on a gentle breeze.
Suffolk Fishing weather
Cheers
Doug