Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

La Crosse 2308 and wind spikes at 28.4 mph.

Sunrise Pilot
Weather Station: La Crosse WS-2308
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Post by Sunrise Pilot »

I have been struggling with an EMI problem only effecting wind spikes.I thought I was getting EMI induced into the Vane/anemometer cable on the roof.

I tried Ferrite coils on both ends of the wind cable... no effect on the spikes.
I added Ferrite coils to both ends of the cable from the console to the temp/hygro sensor... no effect.
I added Ferrite coils to the power cable at the Console and the transformer... no effect.

I am running a webcam an added Ferrite coils to both ends of the Siamese cable for the camera (video and power in one cable)... no effect.

I have excess cabling figure 8-ed to avoid the transformer possibility... no effect.

Last ditch effort... switch from cabled to wireless..... BINGO!!! no more spike.

Any ideas as to why?... I'd rather run cabled to avoid low battery issues.

Cheers
Doug
Last edited by Sunrise Pilot on Thu 27 Dec 2012 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Let slip the bonds of Mother Earth and drift o'er the land as a bubble wafting on a gentle breeze.
Suffolk Fishing weather
Cheers
Doug
Sunrise Pilot

Re: La Crosse 2308 and wind spikes at 28.4 mph.

Post by Sunrise Pilot »

Do these wind readings look good, or do I need more tweaking?

I made sure the vane/anemometer were plumb and level. Did not modify the tail of the vane at all.

Cheers
Doug
Let slip the bonds of Mother Earth and drift o'er the land as a bubble wafting on a gentle breeze.
Suffolk Fishing weather
Cheers
Doug
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

Looks very good to me; certainly nothing in there you could call a spike.
Steve
yv1hx
Weather Station: No station yet ...
Operating System: Win XP Professional

Post by yv1hx »

Sunrise Pilot wrote:La Crosse 2308 and wind spikes at 28.4 mph.

I have been struggling with an EMI problem only effecting wind spikes.I thought I was getting EMI induced into the Vane/anemometer cable on the roof.

I tried Ferrite coils on both ends of the wind cable... no effect on the spikes.
I added Ferrite coils to both ends of the cable from the console to the temp/hygro sensor... no effect.
I added Ferrite coils to the power cable at the Console and the transformer... no effect.

I am running a webcam an added Ferrite coils to both ends of the Siamese cable for the camera (video and power in one cable)... no effect.

I have excess cabling figure 8-ed to avoid the transformer possibility... no effect.

Last ditch effort... switch from cabled to wireless..... BINGO!!! no more spike.

Any ideas as to why?... I'd rather run cabled to avoid low battery issues.

Cheers
Doug
Doug, this is a very common problem with this stations family, some have success when replacing the original telephone type cable with CAT5 cable, there is some "how-to" examples on the network.

Best regards,
Marco
Sunrise Pilot

Post by Sunrise Pilot »

yv1hx wrote:
Doug, this is a very common problem with this stations family, some have success when replacing the original telephone type cable with CAT5 cable, there is some "how-to" examples on the network.

Best regards,
So I have been reading... thanks. Will be moving to a Davis Vantage Vu plus and will move this mobile.

I'm making up cabling with cat 6 and will run the instrument pack and Sky-Cam both through it.... gotta love all those twisted pairs.

Cheers
Doug
Suffolk Fishing weather
Cheers
Doug