Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

WS2357

mlun
Weather Station: La Crosse WS2357
Operating System: W7-64

WS2357

Post by mlun »

I am considering to buy one of these. But some questions:
- Is La Crosse a comparable quality to for example Oregon Scientific? The outdoor meters - will be placed in an environment with strong sun all year round, so can I expect that for example the wind meter will last for a number of years?
- The specs do not tell anything about the range of the wireless transmitters. Can I expect problems with wireless coverage? A comparable Oregon Scientific has RF transmitters which presumably will give better connectivity
- The reason for choosing a La Crosse is its ability to transmit data over the internet. As the station is to be placed in our holiday apartment, I would like to know if the weather transmissions requires the PC to be on, or this can be done via the router alone? When we are not in the apartment, the PC will not be turned on.

Thanks
Mogens / Tenerife
ntinos
Weather Station: Davis
Operating System: Windows XP

Re: WS2357

Post by ntinos »

Hi
La crosse it have the same quality with oregon
The plastic parts is very good,but for accurate measurements temp/hum it need a stevenson sreen or fan aspirated radiation shields with plastic dishes.
The wireless transmition with 2-3 walls inside is until 10-15 meters like all simple weather station (oregon,watson,nevanda,e.t.c) at open area i had tried about 30 meters at work fine .
La-crosse model 23XX you can connect cable from console-out thermo/hygro sensor,until 20 meters if you are long away 10-15 meters with 3 walls inside.

For you upload data without pc you will need a meteohub

http://wiki.meteohub.de/Introduction

Or a mini pc with low cost energy rasberry pc with linux

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi

Only the Davis weather station with weather link ip you can upload weather data on your router.
mlun
Weather Station: La Crosse WS2357
Operating System: W7-64

Re: WS2357

Post by mlun »

Thank you very much ntinos :)

About the possibilities to connect to the internet, and retrieve data from another computer, this seems to be possible with the La Crosse model. But in the manual for Oregon Scientific there is no mentioning of this, nor is there a USB cable to connect to a PC.

To store data on the internet I have access to a Linus server. Can see that for example ws2300 http://ace-host.stuart.id.au/russell/files/ws2300/ is a possibility to do this, but does La Crosse deliver software for this also?