Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Cumulus Locking Up

gpercival
Weather Station: La Crosse 2355
Operating System: Windows XP

Cumulus Locking Up

Post by gpercival »

I am having problem with Cumulus locking up. I am running Cumulus on a laptop running Windows XP SP 3. I am using a La Crosse 2355.

I have been running Cumulus for about 18 months. Initially without any problems. Now I find that Cumulus locks up (not the computer) and needs to be restarted. It most often happens just after midnight (when the day rolls over) but it can happen at any time.

I am running Cumulus v1.9.3 (1042). I don’t think it is related to the Beta version because it was happening before I upgraded.

I have removed all unnecessary software including antivirus but it makes no difference.

URL: http://www.rhumbline.com.au/weather

Any thoughts?

Geoff
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Cumulus Locking Up

Post by steve »

Do you have any task set in Cumulus to run at rollover time (NOAA report upload or running an external program)? Does the Cumulus clock stop updating? Does the status bar at the bottom show anything?

If you zip up the diags folder and attach it, I'll see if I can see anything.
Steve
gpercival

Post by gpercival »

Thanks Steve,

No tasks set.

The Cumulus clock does stop updating and in the worst case I just get a grey window with no detail showing.

Can't answer about the Status bar.

Diag folder attached.

Geoff
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Unfortunately the files give no indication of a problem, other than some garbage data from the station from time to time, and a period where it was unable to send xap messages:

30/07/2012 22:06:00.471 : xapHeartbeat failed: Socket is not connected (#10057 in Send)
30/07/2012 22:06:00.471 : xap report failed: Socket is not connected (#10057 in Send)

You could try turning the debug log on each time you start Cumulus (delete the debug.log file each time); that may show something. You could also try disabling features one at a time, e.g. xap. The xap messages are sent on the main thread, so if the call hangs in Windows somewhere, the whole application will hang.
Steve
gpercival

Post by gpercival »

An update on this problem.

I disable the APRS/CWOP upload because this seemed to be the last thing in the log when Cumulus froze.

The problem is much reduced but not totally gone. I still get the occasional lockup.

Geoff
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

gpercival wrote:I disable the APRS/CWOP upload because this seemed to be the last thing in the log when Cumulus froze.
Like the xap messages, this is also done on the main thread, and both use a 'socket' for output; I should really move these into separate threads like ftp. But it looks like Cumulus has occasional problems with sockets on your system which somehow defeat the timeout mechanism.

If you disable both xap and CWOP, does the problem go away?
Steve