Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Windchill 'spikes'

mikechristelow
Weather Station: Watson W8681 (solar)
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Windchill 'spikes'

Post by mikechristelow »

Hi,

I'm pretty new to Cumulus and just started with a TechnoLine 2350 (which I suspect is a re-badged LaCrosse) in January.

I've learnt quickly that a USB connection to the PC is a poor substitute for a proper serial connection (now addressed), and equally quickly that the fantastic "unshielded" sensor cables supplied with the station attract considerable interference (having fitted ferrite beads, now under observation).

All told, Cumulus seems very solid whilst the TechnoLine 2350 seems a bit iffy, but I'm not going to be able to trade-up for a while (as it was a christmas present from the wife :P ).

Can enyone explain the bizarre behaviour I get on my Trends | Outside Temp graph, where I get periods of (evidently) no windchill and then bursts of very spiky windchill readings - see the attached pic.

Many thanks,

Mike
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
http://www.christelow.co.uk
“It's snowing still," said Eeyore gloomily.
"So it is."
"And freezing."
"Is it?"
"Yes," said Eeyore. "However," he said, brightening up a little, "we haven't had an earthquake lately.”

steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Windchill 'spikes'

Post by steve »

Wind Chill doesn't apply at wind speeds of under 4.8 kph, so I assume that's what you're seeing, assuming you have Cumulus calculating the wind chill.
Steve
mikechristelow
Weather Station: Watson W8681 (solar)
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Post by mikechristelow »

Thanks Steve.
The spikes seem to correlate with wind speed above the 4.8kph mark so that would seem to explain things. However, in the Station settings in Cumulus I have the checkbox for Calculate WindChill unchecked so was assuming there would be no plot on the graph for this!
http://www.christelow.co.uk
“It's snowing still," said Eeyore gloomily.
"So it is."
"And freezing."
"Is it?"
"Yes," said Eeyore. "However," he said, brightening up a little, "we haven't had an earthquake lately.”

steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

In that case the value is coming from the station, and it must be applying the same rule. If you want to remove wind chill from the graph, right-click on it.
Steve