Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

WS-2315 AL

RobertY
Weather Station: LaCrosse 2315
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

WS-2315 AL

Post by RobertY »

Hello again all.

Okay here comes a few more stupid questions. Please forgive me I am still working on this as I am still pretty new.

First of all I Love the Cumulus software and want to Thank You for putting it out. I can not believe how feature rich it is being free. Thank You Thank You! Oh, once I get it all working correctly I will be donating.

My first question is: Is the WS-2315 AL an off set station? I currently have the WS2300 checked in the station settings section.

Next up, if it is an off set and I check the Fine offset part in the station settings will that improve on the forecast area?

Because right now the forecasting has been way off horribly. I have the Cumulus Forecast and Update Hourly checked. Cumulus keeps insisting that it is unsettled with rain at times. My WS-2315 just has the partly cloudy icon. I have checked the weather for my area at several sites including weather.com and they all agree with what my WS2315 says as to the forecast for the next 12-24 hours.

But right now I have even got a note in the forecast section on my website to please ignore the forecast as I am still working on it.

A little help please? Cumulus and my WS-2315 have a difference of opinion. :)
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: WS-2315 AL

Post by steve »

It's a La Crosse; it won't work with the Fine Offset setting.
Steve
Matt.j5b
Weather Station: Davis VP2/ WLL with DFARS
Operating System: RPi Raspbian (Buster)

Post by Matt.j5b »

Hi

That seems to be a La Crosse station. La Crosse does make that model but I I don't think Fine Offset does. I don't know anything about the fine Offset becuase I am a La Crosse user.The forecast on the La Crosse is only very basic, simply based on the change of air pressure using three icons. Below is a piece of information from mine's manual:

WEATHER FORECAST AND WEATHER TENDENCY

WEATHER FORECASTING ICONS:

For every sudden or significant change in the air pressure, the weather icons will update accordingly to represent the change in weather.
(Every time a new average pressure value has been obtained (once per minute), this
value is compared with an internal reference value. If the difference between these
values is bigger than the selected weather tendency sensitivity, the weather-icon
changes, either for worse or for better. In this case, the current pressure value
becomes the new weather tendency reference.)
If the icons do not change, either the air pressure has not changed or the change has
been too small for the Weather Centre to register. So you may adjust the "sensitivity"
of the pressure change checking in the setting mode –see WEATHER TENDENCY
SENSITIVITY VALUE SETTING above.
The icons are:

1.Sunny
TENDENCY

2. Cloudy with sunny
intervals
TENDENCY

3.Rainy
TENDENCY

However, if the icon displayed is a sun or raining cloud, there will be no change of
icon if the weather gets any better (with sunny icon) or worse (with rainy icon) since
the icons are already at their extremes.
The icons displayed forecasts the weather in terms of getting better or worse and not
necessarily sunny or rainy as each icon indicates. For example, if the current weather
is cloudy and the rainy icon is displayed, it does not mean that the product is faulty
because it is not raining. It simply means that the air pressure has dropped and the
weather is expected to get worse but not necessarily rainy.
Note:
After setting up, readings for weather forecasts should be disregarded for the next 12-
24 hours. This will allow sufficient time for the Weather centre to collect air pressure
data at a constant altitude and therefore result in a more accurate forecast.
Common to weather forecasting, absolute accuracy cannot be guaranteed. The
weather forecasting feature is estimated to have an accuracy level of about 75% due
to the varying areas the Weather Centre has been designed for use. In areas that
experience sudden changes in weather (for example from sunny to rain), the Weather
Centre will be more accurate compared to use in areas where the weather is stagnant
most of the time (for example mostly sunny).
If the Weather Centre is moved to another location significantly higher or lower than
its initial standing point (for example from the ground floor to the upper floors of a
house), disregard the weather forecast for the next 12-24 hours, as the Weather
Centre may mistake the new location as being a possible change in air-pressure
when really it is due to the slight change of altitude.

WEATHER TENDENCY INDICATOR
Working together with the weather icons is the weather tendency indicators (arrow
located on the left and right sides of the weather icons). When the indicator points
upwards, it means that the air-pressure is increasing and the weather is expected to
improve, but when indicator points downwards, the air-pressure is dropping and the
weather is expected to become worse.
Taking this into account, one can see how the weather has changed and is expected
to change. For example, if the indicator is pointing downwards together with cloud and
sun icons, then the last noticeable change in the weather was when it was sunny (the
sun icon only). Therefore, the next change in the weather will be cloud with rain icons
since the indicator is pointing downwards.

Just a bit of info to give you help.
Regards, Matt of Brisbane, Australia
Ferny Grove Weather
RobertY

Post by RobertY »

Thank You for the information. I guess I picked up an older cheap model. But what can you expect? I picked it up for just $3.00 at a used store. LOL!

I have had the station up and running since 11/08/2011.

The odd thing is that the icons on the LaCrosse WS-2315 have been spot on in predicting the upcoming weather changes. Sunny for a coming sunny day, the sun icon with clouds for a coming partly cloudy day, (this one was before I had it to the website and cumulus) Rain for upcoming rain.

The error occurs with I guess how Cumulus sees this station with only having three settings. Cumulus keeps insisting that rain is coming when the WS-2315 only says cloudy and cloudy is the correct forecast.

Soooo... even though I am really enjoying this I guess in order for my website and Cumulus to be correct in forecasting I need to save the money up to get a better newer weather station. (sigh)

Thank You once again.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

Cumulus doesn't use the forecast details from the weather station for its own forecasts, and a more expensive weather station won't improve the forecasts. I don't really have anything to say about the forecast other than what's in the FAQ.
Steve
RobertY

Post by RobertY »

Thank You. I will do more reading.
Matt.j5b
Weather Station: Davis VP2/ WLL with DFARS
Operating System: RPi Raspbian (Buster)

Post by Matt.j5b »

Hi

Remember that the station forecast is only based on the air pressure trend (ie is rising or falling) and the forecast makes the assumption that when the air pressure rises the weather will get better and when the air pressure falls the weather will become worst. It is only a generalised forecast and weather doesnt always follows this simple rule depending on your climate and the current weather situation.
The forecast is rather a way to show using icons that the air pressure is shifting towards a certain direction and if you follow that using the national Synoptic chart it can help you understand what future weather may be on your way. The forecast of Cumulus is your best bet even if the forecast of the station isn't as good, but even that can't be have some errors and is based on different assumptions.
There is no point getting another station just to get a better forecast because weather stations forecasts are based it on certain variables that simplify the weather. Forecasting the weather is more than just a few numbers and so there is a margin of error in these types of forecasts. Of course the best reliablity would be weather Bureau but even they can get it wrong.
Regards, Matt of Brisbane, Australia
Ferny Grove Weather