Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

WS-2316 Build 1.9.2 No data downloading to Cumulus

Rubatoguy
Weather Station: WS-2316
Operating System: XP SP3

WS-2316 Build 1.9.2 No data downloading to Cumulus

Post by Rubatoguy »

I noticed with the last beta and also with the new 1.9.2 release, that Cumulus no longer is downloading any data from my WS-2316 weather station.
I had some problems with the serial port, which I corrected, but all the readings show 0.
I ran Portmon to see the communication via the serial port, and there seems to be a loop. Portmom shows the same thing happening over and over.
I get the splash screen "Downloading Data - please wait" but the bar does not increment, and it seems stuck at that point - it takes a long, long time to get to the main screen - about 10 minutes, then the main Cumulus screen displays with all 0 values
I've attached the portmon screen and the last two diag files. (Note, I had to close Cumulus as it was stuck forever on the "shutting down" screen)

I'm wondering if it may be a problem with the data files that is causing Cumulus to get stuck. Any help would be appreciated.

Todd Last
Oregon City, OR. USA
culumlus portmon.jpg
cumulus.009
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: WS-2316 Build 1.9.2 No data downloading to Cumulus

Post by steve »

It's opened the COM port but is unable to get any response from the station. It retries - a lot - it has to with La Crosse stations, but isn't getting anything. COM3 - is that a 'real' serial port? What was the last build which worked? The WS2300 code hasn't changed for a long time.
Steve
Rubatoguy
Weather Station: WS-2316
Operating System: XP SP3

Post by Rubatoguy »

Com 3 is a real port. There is a serial card in the PC.
I just rechecked everything and it looks like the WS-2316 lost the signal from the station. Once I recaptured the signal, and restarted Cumulus, it is now working. So, it looks like the issue is the WS-2316, not the software. The reciever can't be more than 100' from the station, but it seems to be somewhat flakey as it will loose the signal now and then.

Thanks for the help,
Any suggestions on weather stations that make the best use of the Cumulus features?

Todd
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

Rubatoguy wrote:I just rechecked everything and it looks like the WS-2316 lost the signal from the station. Once I recaptured the signal, and restarted Cumulus, it is now working. So, it looks like the issue is the WS-2316, not the software. The reciever can't be more than 100' from the station, but it seems to be somewhat flakey as it will loose the signal now and then.
It seems odd that loosing the signal from the sensors would cause the station to not respond to Cumulus, but having said that, one of the reasons for having to retry requests so much with La Crosse stations is that they regard PC communication as very low priority, so perhaps it was too busy trying to re-establish contact.
Any suggestions on weather stations that make the best use of the Cumulus features?
There aren't really any stations which make the best use of Cumulus, as I try to make it the same for all stations. This is why I tend not to use many special features of one particular station, I need to keep as much common code as possible. But if you're looking for a better station than the La Crosse which works with Cumulus, then the only station that I could honestly recommend would be a Davis.
Steve