Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

WS2355 data logging and connectivity issue

einzack
Weather Station: WS2355
Operating System: 7

WS2355 data logging and connectivity issue

Post by einzack »

Hi,

I have a couple of questions.
I've recently installed a WS2355 running into Cumulus v1.9.0

1st question:
i have my data log interval set to 5min, which works fine when I have it running "live". I turn my PC off at night and when i power it up in the morning and start Cumulus, it only logs data every hour for the period I've had my PC turned off. Is there a way I can increase that data logging frequency?

2nd question:
sometimes cumulus stops connecting to the weather station - i notice because the "last data read" time is a while in the past. If i try to close Cumulus once i've noticed, it won't close and I have to go into Task manager and force it to close there. And i cannot re-opne Cumulus once this has happened either - it sits at the "Please Wait" stage and doesn't open. I've tried leaving it for hours - nothing happens. I have to restart my PC to get Cumulus to restart. Also, I get left with straight lines on my graphs from the time of "last data read" until i have restarted my PC and got Cumulus running again.
This only seems to happen in the evenings - haven't had it happen at any other time yet.

cheers,
isaac
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: WS2355 data logging and connectivity issue

Post by steve »

einzack wrote:i have my data log interval set to 5min, which works fine when I have it running "live". I turn my PC off at night and when i power it up in the morning and start Cumulus, it only logs data every hour for the period I've had my PC turned off. Is there a way I can increase that data logging frequency?
You need to set the logging interval in your station. When using logger data, Cumulus can only log at the interval of the data that your station provides.
sometimes cumulus stops connecting to the weather station - i notice because the "last data read" time is a while in the past. If i try to close Cumulus once i've noticed, it won't close and I have to go into Task manager and force it to close there. And i cannot re-opne Cumulus once this has happened either - it sits at the "Please Wait" stage and doesn't open. I've tried leaving it for hours - nothing happens. I have to restart my PC to get Cumulus to restart. Also, I get left with straight lines on my graphs from the time of "last data read" until i have restarted my PC and got Cumulus running again.
Are you using a real serial port or a USB adapter? If you zip up the diags folder and attach it, I'll see if I can see anything.
Steve
einzack

Post by einzack »

steve wrote:
einzack wrote:i have my data log interval set to 5min, which works fine when I have it running "live". I turn my PC off at night and when i power it up in the morning and start Cumulus, it only logs data every hour for the period I've had my PC turned off. Is there a way I can increase that data logging frequency?
You need to set the logging interval in your station. When using logger data, Cumulus can only log at the interval of the data that your station provides.
ok, thanks.
i'll investigate this from the station side instead.

steve wrote:
einzack wrote:sometimes cumulus stops connecting to the weather station - i notice because the "last data read" time is a while in the past. If i try to close Cumulus once i've noticed, it won't close and I have to go into Task manager and force it to close there. And i cannot re-opne Cumulus once this has happened either - it sits at the "Please Wait" stage and doesn't open. I've tried leaving it for hours - nothing happens. I have to restart my PC to get Cumulus to restart. Also, I get left with straight lines on my graphs from the time of "last data read" until i have restarted my PC and got Cumulus running again.
Are you using a real serial port or a USB adapter? If you zip up the diags folder and attach it, I'll see if I can see anything.
I am using a USB adapter.
I've attached the diags folder as requested.

thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

einzack wrote:I am using a USB adapter.
Sorry, but that's not supported. I make this clear in a number of places, including the readme.txt file which appears during the install.
Steve
einzack

Post by einzack »

steve wrote:
einzack wrote:I am using a USB adapter.
Sorry, but that's not supported. I make this clear in a number of places, including the readme.txt file which appears during the install.
well guess i'll try the serial port and see if i have more luck with that.
jk1973
Weather Station: ws-2316
Operating System: xp sp2

Post by jk1973 »

Dear Steve and forum

i am facing same problem as IZAAC when i turn off my pc, then turn it on again in the morning,
i realize that in the extreme data of the day are as follows

high W speed ex 10km at 1.09am
low temp ex 5 at 2.09am
high temp ex 8 at 3.09am \

& etc...

or some time values are mentioned all in the same timing for ex all at 0.05am

regards,
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

jk1973 wrote:i am facing same problem as IZAAC
Which problem? (1) Using a USB adapter, or (2)having your logger set to one hour? The solutions are:

(1) Don't use a USB adapter
(2) Set you logger to a different period
Steve
jk1973
Weather Station: ws-2316
Operating System: xp sp2

Post by jk1973 »

Dear steve

i am using a serial port and its ok
but concerning the log file, plz can you be more specific since i am a bit new with cumulus
i aldreay set my log file to 10 min.

regards,
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

jk1973 wrote:but concerning the log file, plz can you be more specific since i am a bit new with cumulus
It's the interval in the station that you need to set, it's nothing to do with Cumulus. I don't know how to do that, I don't have a La Crosse station.
Steve